The Official Welcome Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lord Garth, Sep 21, 2007.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're reading the entire thread :eek:

And on another note I'm posting here to say I rewatched ST:XI last night and my conclusion is that it is the greatest movie ever made.

2. Vendor

Vendor Lieutenant Red Shirt

You don't get out much, do you? :guffaw:

Everybody's entitled to their opinion, I guess. And in my opinion it was a 'good' film. A somewhat worthy addition to the Trek Universe. But it WASN'T Star Trek. It was a bunch of very good actors in a Trek masquerade film mimicking classic Trek characters.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pshaw.

Did I really say that? I think that's the first time I've ever typed that word.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  4. Vendor

Vendor Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well, at least you didn't say "Aw Shucks". :lol:

5. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Been a lurker I think you call em, I've watched Star Trek since I was born (back in '92) and I've been hooked ever since. First memory I have was me watching Star Trek: The Motion Picture with my grandparents (Meemaw (God rest her soul) and Pawpaw, yeah I'm a real hick :lol:) on a Betamax! I loved TMP because of the music, I was maybe two and I obviously had no idea what was going on but the music and the visuals just stuck with me.

I'm a Texan, I do wear boots and cowboy hat (occasionally, it's very hot out right now!), I do drive a big truck (my Paw's F150, I named her Marybeth to piss off one of my friends :devil:), I do like country music (it's all I really listen to), I'm an environmental science major, and I like comedy and I like to laugh.

So hello. :cool:

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Hi Kruezerman, welcome to TrekBBS

7. Ship's Computer

Ship's Computer Ensign Newbie

I joined this community because I am an avid Star Trek fan and I am also a purist. I really hate it when I see some glaring anomaly within a Star Trek movie or series. For instance:

Given the Prime Directive, why does Picard constantly put Riker in charge of showing around young attractive female aliens when we all know he's going to sleep with them eventually. Given that, half the galaxy will eventually be related to him in one form or another.

Dr.Crusher is just over the top sometimes with her "do no harm" rule. When presented with a Borg specimen and a means of wiping out the Collective once and for always, her response is to get all warm and fussy with regards can we wipe out an entire race. Eventually she convinces the captain who orders the "captive" to be let go. In reality, once the Enterprise had docked at the nearest Starbase the entire command crew and the doctor herself would have been arrested on treason given the opportunity now missed.

And what's with the Borg anyway? They assimilate millions and millions of people and beings, yet when they assimilate Picard the whole collective is profoundly effected as if his will is somehow stronger than theirs. The collective was a fine idea when it was just a "Collective", however, once the writers of the series began giving them more human qualities such as leadership, individuality, etc, they just became another species and really lost something of their menace.

Anyway, I figured I could discuss some of these issues here, and just get it all out of my sub-routines.

End of message.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Welcome Ship's Computer

While certainly inappropriate, I'm not sure how you're saying the Prime Directive is being broken by Riker "fraternizing" with alien guests on the Enterprise

Regarding Biowarfare, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any reputable Doctor here in the United states, even in today's world who would engage willingly in Biowarfare to wipe out an entire species (Even one you are losing a war to), and it is illegal and against the code of War here in the United States. I can't imagine Starfleet would condone it (Don't get me wrong, desperate times call for desperate measures, and some leader would definitely consider and possibly act on a "Back room" operation to whip up a Bio agent, but, I don't believe it would be officially sanctioned or legal)

9. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Guest

Hello everyone. I love Star Trek and came across this site after hearing about it for awhile. I am a member of a couple of other forums but they don't have quite the traffic I see here. Just hoping to chat about Trek and such.

10. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    Hi there.

Trek geek female here. Mostly a fan of old-Trek, but I rather enjoyed the 2009 film, if only for the quality of the performances. I really felt that the set design nearly ruined the experience for me (brewery engineering contrasted against the Apple Store bridge, it just doesn't make any sense--and I want desperately for this not to be a problem, I mean I try very hard, and I can't shake it), as well as the tone. The tone was off. Everything happened super-fast and streamlined. The plot moved too quickly, with barely any character development or meaningful character interaction. It felt like any other space opera action film from the '00s. I even compare TOS to the new film and it fails to convey the same tone, the same optimism for the future, the same vision of a modern, liberal future where people work together to further humanity. No, this was all lasers and explosions. Still, it was enjoyable as yer standard action-adventure romp. I liked it. It just never felt like Trek to me.

That said, I loved the characters. I loved that there was more Star Trek on the big screen. I'm willing to give it another chance. Star Trek Into Darkness sounds like it'll be fun. We shall see. :)

11. rocketdave

rocketdave Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi everypeoples.

I registered here many months ago, but this is my first time posting. I guess I don't have a lot to say. I've been a Star Trek fan since age 13, when I got hooked on TNG, almost exactly halfway through the series run. The fact that Pigs in Space was the segment of The Muppet Show that I looked forward to most may have been an early indication I was destined to be a Trekkie.

For a long time, I was uncomfortable with the Trekkie label, since my dad would refer to me as such in the stupid Xmas letters he'd send out every year, like that was my one big defining characteristic. I'm more okay with it now, though I worry I still embody some of the less than flattering characteristics that John Q. Public associates with that term; ie poor social skills, etc.

I'd have to say that DS9 is my favorite spinoff. My least favorite is Enterprise (though I may be one of the few people who liked the theme song). That show and the last couple TNG movies helped to kill my enthusiasm for the franchise for a while.

I was somewhat disappointed in the 2009 movie, but ultimately concluded it was not bad in a "check your brain at the door" kind of way. I am looking forward to "Into Darkness."

12. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Rocketdave,

I've been a Star Trek fan since TOS was broadcast on TV. I went to a Star Trek con around 79 and it scared me away from Trekkie gatherings for several years. I tried another ST con around almost 10 years later (went with reinforcements, I mean friends). There was still some weird people but a lot of good ones. I joined a Star Trek fanclub and started calling myself a Trekker. Nowadays, I do Star Trek with my family. We watch episodes and movies together, share a family membership in the fanclub and my daughter plays Star Trek Online with me. This Halloween for the first time in my life, I dressed up as a ST character, Spock. Received a lot of compliments on my outfit. So I'm having a good time getting my ST geek on. Just wish I'd jumped in deeper sooner.

13. tranya

tranya Commander Red Shirt

Howdy. I'm tranya, I'm a dude who lives in Indiana.

I've actually had an account here for years, I just rarely check in. My Trek love spans about 35 years or so, ever since I saw TAS in the 1970s (my earliest Star Trek memory), and then, of course, lots of Star Trek in reruns.

I go through phases of interest in Trek. Right now I'm having another one, very definitely because of the recent info about Star Trek Into Darkness. Over the years, I've considered myself a fan of every Trek other than Voyager (pretty much always hated it). Lately, I can't really handle much of the Berman era other than DS9; TNG seems comfortable, preachy, and full of bumpy-headed B-list actors, Voyager is ignorable, Enterprise had great ideas but was hampered by a lack of vision early on, and then a neocon showrunner later.

So, I suppose I keep finding myself returning to Star Trek (no colons, no subtitles, just Star Trek). And thus it's fun for me to watch how Abrams, Orci, & Co. are re-envisioning the first, best of the shows. And that's what brings me back here, to reconnect with Star Trek and see what the fans of today think about it all.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Welcome, all!:)

15. Dagoth

Dagoth Ensign Newbie

Just wanted to say 'hi'. A ST fan for many years, but found out about this site only very recently.:techman:

16. TheMorrigan

TheMorrigan Ensign Newbie

Well I am new to the site as well. Figured I'd poke my head in as I love the reboot (Simon Pegg as Scotty... OMG awesome). I've been a Trekkie-ish forever-ish. I've never been die hard but I recently got to RPing in the genre and I rediscovered my love for the universe.

I'm a crazy mother of two. Web site hostess and skinner extraordinaire. I a relative open book. Ask me anything and I'll be honest with you.

17. F. King Daniel

We even argue about the size of pretend spaceships here. Being crazy definitely helps. Welcome!:)

18. TheMorrigan

TheMorrigan Ensign Newbie

I've had that discussion a time or twenty. Size of Space ships and of Space Stations.... so silly.

19. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Greetings and Felicitations!
    Hip hip hoorah.
    Tallyho!

I am The Sub Commander, and I am a fan of all the Star Trek series and movies. I grew up in the late 1970s and 1980s watching TOS in reruns. I was a little one at the time TMP debuted but I do remember its premier in theaters, vaguely. I also remember the subsequent movies being released, and was very excited with the premier of Star Trek the Next Generation when I was in high school, and beyond, watching almost every episode in first run, as well as every series that followed afterwards. Star Trek 2 and 3, along with TNG, Star Wars and the Terminator, Predator, Robocop Alien franchises, shaped my outlook of sci fi, or more properly, defined it. Every Trek series has a special place to me, including DS9,VOY, and Enterprise. I was very sad to see that Enterprise was cancelled and could not go on to see a 7th season like the other series, and it will always be a great "what if," to me. When TOS was semi-rebooted, I admit I was skeptical at first, but when I saw it in theaters, I loved it, and I eagerly await the upcoming film, Into Darkness.

20. F. King Daniel

Welcome to the forum, TheSubCommander! :)