Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hope you get your problem fixed Saturn. It'd be nice to have a new face around the place. :)

Hmmm, well I'm full-blown gonzo confused about portals now.

Step 1: Build a portal in the nether that brings me out in an underwater cave a few islands away from a jungle biome. Cool says I, I'll build a new portal over by the jungle and save myself the hike.

Step 2: Build a portal next to the jungle. Hop in, it takes me back to the original portal in the nether. Odd, says I.

Step 3: Hop right back into the portal and it creates a brand new portal even deeper in the cave than the first one.

Step 4: The hell?!

2. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

Thinking with portals doesn't sit well with Minecraft. ;)

3. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Step 1: Set Bedspawn next to the cave portal.

Step 2: Destroy the original nether portal and put all your things in an easy to find chest.

Step 3: Kill yourself, respawn at the cave portal, destroy that one.

Step 4: Create your jungle portal, go through retrieve the stuff in the chest.

Step 5: Cross your fingers it sends you back through to the jungle, because if it doesn't then I've no idea what to do.

4. Cutter John

I dunno, I kinda like havign my spawnpoint where it is...

Anyway, I tried a few more times to break the old portal then going into the new one. When I ended up with a new portal right next to the broken one, I just decided to say screw it. All I can figure is that the new jungle portal I set up is over a lava lake in the nether or something.

I did use a compass to hike back to my main base, a two day walk. found another jungle but still no damn villages!

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's completely counter-intuitive, but due to a "fix" that Notch implemented shortly after the Nether was introduced portals must be placed on the Nether side to link up properly. You have to go to the jungle portal, get the x and z coordinates using F3, divide those by 8, go to those coordinates in the Nether and build a portal there.

6. Cutter John

I guess I could try that. But at this point, I'm just gonna say the hell with it and just lay down some minecart track to make the trip back and forth to portals easier.

But damn me, still no villages.

In other news, This needs to be the new game intro. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI8jc2CsRe4

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  7. Cutter John

Also, I just read a potentially useful tip on the Minecraft forum re finding Strongholds.
    Someone reported that if you listen very carefully, you can sometimes hear the sound of zombies pounding on doors deep underground. So just wanderign the landscape listening carefully might be worth a shot.

8. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I got "Khaaaaaaaaan!' on my title screen (in yellow)

9. TheGodBen

I just want them to stop restricting strongholds to three per world, they should be "infinite" like the Nether fortresses. I can't go to the End and "win" the game in my main world because strongholds wont generate that far out in newly-generated land. :(

10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I thought the 3-stronghold limit was already removed, a while ago?

11. TheGodBen

Jeb said he was going to remove the restriction in the 1.0 release but he never did. It wasn't fixed in 1.1 or 1.2 either, so he either changed his mind or forgot about it.

12. Cutter John

Its been pretty quiet around here lately. So,

[​IMG]

"YAAAAAAAAAAH!"

13. Cutter John

So true. I don't think I've ever stayed interested in one game for this long.

I think its the regular updates and new stuff that help keep things fresh.

14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't disagree more. They should update things, sure, but not all the time. Compile all the updates and release them maybe twice a year.

Craftbucket needs to take a lot of time to update stuff if Mojang constantly tweaks stuff

15. TheGodBen

Not for much longer, considering the Bukkit team now work for Mojang and Bukkit is being rolled into the vanilla game in 1.3.

16. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

17. Cutter John

[​IMG]

NEEDS TO BE REAL!

C'mon, they wouldn't be that hard to make.

18. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

It can be real. Each year ThinkGeek holds a vote to determine which product becomes legit. So cross your fingers.

19. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I just wanted to say a quick thank you to those of you that have been helping me out. Everyone is so nice! And of course thank you to RM for introducing me to the game and running the server. And not getting too mad when I try to push him off tall buildings.

I'm totally in awe of what everyone has done. I'm going back to IL in a week or so to visit and I can't wait to give my brother a tour of things.

I wish that the game wasn't quite so scary, though!

20. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

It's nice to have someone new on the server. :)