Crew members and their roles

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Lighthammer, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

As Janeway had a science background, maybe the producers figured she would assume the role of science officer when needed. She frequently took an active part in scientific investigations. It might account for Genevieve Bujold's insisting she wanted to play a scientist rather than a commander, based on what she'd been told about the character.

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good point. It seems Kirk didn't need a separate Science Officer because his XO performed the duty; Janeway being both CO and SO doesn't appear out of line with that. Was Riker a slacker for only holding a single job? Was Picard his own SO?

Chief of Helm probably wouldn't have been among the mysterious high-rankers, or competition with Cavit would have been an issue. If Lieutenant Stadi held that position, then Tom inheriting it becomes rather logical. Also, a department head at the bridge during the Maquis hunt is sensible as well.

Chief of Ops would probably hold lower rank than Cavit, too, because Ops folks appear cross-trained and command-qualified elsewhere and would have offered unwelcome competition again. A Lieutenant in command of the Ops department would make a lot of sense, though, and Kim inheriting his or her position is IMHO a bit more attractive an idea than Janeway having such a junior (really, basically fresh out of the Academy) officer as a department head.

OTOH, the Ops Chief might not have been as crucially needed on the bridge during the Maquis hunt; he or she might only have been awakened for the actual intercept (and thus essentially ended up dying in his or her sleep), whereas the top Conn officer would be constantly needed while navigating through the Badlands.

What other departments should we consider? Janeway mentions that there are thirteen of them reporting to Tuvok, in "Scientific Method". Which would warrant the sort of chiefs that could explain away the high-rank casualties but wouldn't compete with Cavit?

To confuse matters, "Good Shepherd" has an Okudagram mentioning a couple of categories coinciding with the known names of Divisions: say, Command and Engineering. Each of these encompasses things we know to be Departments: say, Ops, Conn and Tactical are listed under the Command title. But the list of sub-categories can't be the list of the thirteen Departments aboard the hero ship, as there are in fact 21 sub-categories listed! And that's for just three Divisions, while dialogue elsewhere speaks of several other Divisions.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Starfleet_division?file=Starship_divisions,_Good_shepherd.jpg

Perhaps Tuvok has 13 out of 29 department heads report daily, as Janeway says, while others only report once in a blue moon?

Timo Saloniemi

3. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Chakotay appearently majored in something more than Anthropology. This is from Memory Alpha.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Chakotay

I know I read an article some time ago in the now defunct Star Trek Magazine about Chakotay's bad luck with shuttles (and yes it's not a good record) but the worse record belongs to Tuvok and he didn't even have to be piloting, all he had to do was be along for the ride to have the shuttle crash.

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Yeah, Guy was pulling your leg. He tends to do that. Make no mistake: Harry was Operations Officer Department Head from the moment he stepped foot on Voyager.

Actually, we do. We know that Picard was the Conn on Stargazer when he took command for the first time six years out of the Academy. We also know that he developed the Picard Maneuver in response to the attack by the Ferengi. Those two instances, plus the numerous times we've seen him pilot both the Enterprise itself and shuttles with proficiency show that he is a more than capable pilot, probably moreso than your typical Starfleet Officer.

I think that again is a mistake for Voyager, because there are only 150 people on board in the first place. That is way too many department heads for only 150 people. You can't have practically everyone being a department head, the vast majority of your crew is enlisted or Ensign level.

Either way, we see "Senior Staff" meetings all the time, which typically consist of our core characters. Those are your "Department Heads", and they filter down Janeway's wishes to their subordinates. Any members of the "Junior Staff" (like Ensign Jenkins, for example) would not attend Senior Staff meetings. Tom Paris, as Department Head, would instead give orders to Ensign Jenkins.

5. Timo

There's no dialogue to the effect that Kim would have been the Chief of Ops when coming aboard. Ops officer, yes, but not department head.

No, we don't. No episode makes any reference to the position or rank Picard held when taking command of the ship, nor do we learn when this might have taken place.

Why should a department need more than ten employees?

Well, Picard often gathered meetings where the CMO, the Chief Engineer or other such key figures were missing. Apparently, he relied on somebody present (say, his XO) to relay the decisions, orders and other results to the absent department heads.

It's not as if Janeway ever said she would regularly meet the thirteen, either. She said Tuvok would. For all we know, a big part of Worf's work was to receive daily reports from the 42 department heads of the E-D.

Timo Saloniemi

6. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Some interesting points here. I'll give you my theories about it:

1. Chakotay had commanding experience. According to Jeri Taylor's book "Pathways" he was Lieutenant Commander and second in command on the ship Gettysburg before leaving Starfleet. He was also Janeway's Number One on Voyager. So it was logical with him in charge when the Captain was on some away mission. Maybe it had been more logical to send him on away missions more than he was but Janeway would gladly take part in those missions herself and Chakotay wasn't like Riker who didn't like the idea of the Captain taking such risks.

2. Paris had showed early on that he was a reliable force on away missions and since he obviously liked to stick his head in dangerous situations, he might also be a logical choice.

3. B'Elanna had such skills as an Engineer which even Carey couldn't match despise his Starfleet education, therefore she was given the job. I do find this a sympathetic move from Janeway, to give a real talent with such skills the job. There might also have been some other aspects here. B'Elanna was regarded as a troublemaker. A troublemaker with talent but still a troublemaker. By giving her responsibility, she found it easier to adapt to the Starfleet life. Besides that, it was also a signal to the Maquis on the ship that anyone could contribute and get an important job.

4. Kim had some skills when it came to computers and engineering besides his job at ops. It might also have been a way to make "young Ensign Kim" feel important and be apart of his development as a Starfleet officer.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Picards route to command... His Captain died while the ship was in a fire fight, the rest of the crew panicked, but he stood up, threw a corpse out of his seat which god said he deserved, and saved the day. Starfleet was so impressed that they let him keep the ship.

Picard was 27 years old.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Stargazer

From Memory Alpha about Operations officers...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Operations_officer

I repeat, Kim did the job of a quartermaster even if that wasn't his title.

Of course, "personal" items for crew are handled by replicators, so it's not like he's counting blankets, and making sure that crew doesn't get new boots until the old ones are worn out, although he would have been the bean counter keeping track of everyones replicator rationing and if he wasn't so square he might have considered cooking the books.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  8. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Timo --- it's really hard having a conversation with you (or with you in the threads sometimes) because you always get into arguments over what information you will and won't accept.

There's plenty of information out there written from the writers you just don't take into account and weather you PERSONALLY don't like use it, you should at least be open to OTHERS who do.

Can you please drop the holier then thou attitude. It's getting really tiresome.

In contrast Guy Gardner, you measure up to your namesake. Weather I agree with you or not, I almost always enjoy reading your comments.

In the TNG episode, they mentioned Ro Laren's instructor was Chakotay. I had wondered if that was a throw out to Voyager's Chakotay, Adrmial Chakotay (no relationship) or someone else. Chakotay, for whatever reason, seemed like a "go to" name more often then it should have.

If it was in fact Voyager's Chakotay (did we ever get a first or last name for him, I never saw it mentioned anywhere), I think the series could have made a point to connect that. If that was the case, things start to magically fit for him.

You know, I think Kim would have done the job of janitor if it got high accolades from Janeway, lol.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  9. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Harry's lack of promotion: I always assumed it was a red tape issue. Maybe Janeway has got the authority to issue "field promotions", but maybe not. Maybe there has to be forms signed in triplicate from Starfleet Command. IIRC Tuvok got bumped up to Lt Cmdr from Lieutenant, but this could have been something which was always on the cards, even before they all got trapped in the Delta Quadrant.

10. tighr

The "Academy Lt." who was her instructor in Advanced Tactical Training was never formally identified as Chakotay. This was the original idea, but they decided against it on Voyager when dealing with Chakotay's backstory. The actual name of the instructor was never mentioned on screen. Chakotay's stated date of resignation on Voyager is a couple of years before Ro would have been at the Academy, anyway.

Likewise, Tom Paris was supposed to be Nicholas Lacarno, but it actually makes sense that they didn't go that route since Lacarno was an asshat and would have been a much different character than what Paris turned out to be.

11. Lighthammer

They actually do --- Episode: "Preemptive Strike" right at the 8:47 mark on my video they mention "Lt Cmdr Chakotay" where Ro goes on to say "A man I both respect and admire...".

It actually would have been a very powerful opening to have Ro on Voyager if Michelle Forbes could be goated into settling, although what position she'd actually play is a bit of puzzle work. Ro Laren as Chief of Security would have probably been far more entertaining then Tuvok, but then again, we don't need Ro Laren and B'Elanna on the same ship; I don't think the structural integrity of the ship would hold >.<

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's something you may not have considered.

Ro Laren was a member of Chakotay's crew, and she survived Caretaker, and she served on Voyager but she was always off camera during the action.

13. tighr

You must have a different version than I do, then. I just pulled that episode up on Netflix. Her exact words:

"I'v heard a lot about the Maquis. One of my instructors at Tactical Training, a Lieutenant Commander in Starfleet, a man I both admired and respected, he was sympathetic to them. He resigned and left to join them."

14. Timo

Don't be tiresome. Lighthammer is entitled to pull evidence out of his ass, and it always trumps evidence actually given in Star Trek.

Timo Saloniemi

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

What is that, torture?

16. Lighthammer

Wholly possible --- the recordings I have aren't from any DVD rips. I've never brought any Star Trek DVDs or Blurays with Enterprise being the only exception. With the exception of Enterprise, everything in my collection is DVR rips. There most certainly are differences I've noticed over the years.

Timo, the problem is unless something happened ON SCREEN you always, always, always reject every other source except in cases where you're using real world examples to justify your opinion.

You have to accept there ARE other sources that people respect and just because YOU don't respect them doesn't mean your opinion is the only one that matters.

The term "Canon" is very, very, very, very subjective right out of the box with the precise definition of the word.

If you're gonna be an ass about things and talk down to people like you're the absolute expert, at least follow Guy Gardner's lead. He follows his name sake and can be a real ass, but (I suspect) most people enjoy his presentation of it. Like it or not, its fun to read and I respect him a whole bunch for his presentation =).

That's a good explanation, although a real lame explanation. It would however explain in context why we magically saw next to nothing about Ro Laren in any other Star Trek media until Voyager returns >.<

17. Timo

It would help massively if you mentioned the source you are quoting. Otherwise, it just appears you are misremembering things you saw on screen, or misquoting a book that touched upon the subject but not in the way you describe.

Say, where do we learn that Picard would have been a Conn officer (aboard a ship that actually had separate Helm and Nav officers for the task of steering!) on his sixth service year when taking command of the Stargazer? In a Friedman novel, the reader guesses, if he is familiar with those. So, he goes to the bookshelf or Memory Beta. And what does he find? That the book Valiant actually establishes Picard as the 2nd Officer of the vessel, rather than Conn, at the time of the incident.

See why I feel rather entitled to view your claims with what may look like general disdain, but in fact is just healthy skepticism?

Timo Saloniemi

18. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

I have to say, I always appreciate when Timo weighs in. Dude knows his stuff and always presents his thoughts logically.