STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

True. Everything Gene said should be taken with a grain of salt. There was a time when he even disavowed TOS as canon! When he was promoting TNG.

He didn't consider TFF or TUC canon either. And didn't like the military direction of the series after TMP.

If the rule is 'if it's onscreen, it is canon', then TAS is canon. I have a copy on DVD right here. It was as onscreen as any of the other shows or movies.

2. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I'll be happy for the day when Roddenberry's name is never mentioned again (kudos for kickstarting notwithstanding).

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're gonna die in fire now.

4. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Tuesday numbers

6.9m

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Bring on the Fire Caves :p

6. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seems like a pretty decent number to me.

7. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Paramount is releasing several previews in IMAX theaters in Brazil (10) and the demand is great. The movie will premiere on June 14th in 2D. I think that STID box office in Brazil will have a greater increase than ST 2009.

I´m very happy and surprise. Finally, we are helping you. :techman:

8. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Seemingly, international box office is going to save the day - giving STID a more than respectable haul.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

To compare, ST09 made $6.5M during its first Tuesday.

10. ralph

Interesting. Some movies had this behavior. Box office regular or weak in the USA and very well internationally. Now STID is getting very popular outside USA. This is good because we are ensuring an respectable international box office for the next movie. Paramount needs to know the reason the film did not take off in your home. I'm not saying that is bad in the USA but expected to double.

11. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Agreed, Paramount needs to do some serious research and discern any possible factors involved in STID's good, but relatively disappointing performance in NA. Of course, it may be Trek has a natural "ceiling" for reasons many have discussed in this thread.

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

STiD should track closely with Star Trek's daily numbers through its first two weeks. It's the third weekend where it has an uphill battle. Star Trek had a great hold on its second weekend, a regular weekend, and then another great hold on its third weekend, the inflated Memorial Day weekend. STiD's second weekend is Memorial Day weekend. Films entering their third weekend the week after Memorial Day typically have a weekend drop in the high 40s to the mid-50s. Getting a good hold on that weekend is going to be very tough. That's the danger point where STiD could fall behind.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

IOW, Into Darkness continues to run somewhat ahead of Star Trek 2009 at the box office and people are wandering around with long faces.

14. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

He was also a giant cokehead who had a good idea in the 60s. The rest? Not as good.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

IOW, not that unusual.

16. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Today (Wednesday) will be Star Treks last day at number 1 :(

Thursday we will be No.2
    Friday will see us go to No.3 or maybe No.4

6.9m Tues very nice :) Maybe actual will go up to 7!

17. ralph

You are right. I think the premieres, red carpets, good reception of European, Asian, here in Brazil, Russia, projections of the critics, all of these made ​​me believe that STID would reach 100 M in USA easy. But we must be realistic. Star Trek has its limitations scifi genre and, after all, is not that bad. Maybe, 450 - 500 M Worldwide grossing would be very encouraging.

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The "What is canon?" memo of 1989 coincided with several pertinent events. Filmation was being sold off. The output of their TV series backlog was in a state of ownership flux; it was not definite that TAS rights would revert to Paramount/Viacom since it was originally a joint production of Roddenberry's Norway Corp., NBC Children's TV and Filmation. TAS had not been on air for some time so it was not accessible to TNG's writers or viewers. David Gerrold and DC Fontana were suing Roddenberry over co-creatorship of TNG; it was politically sensible for the lawyers to dis-count their contribution to other material. Larry Niven's "Known Space" universe (and kzinti) was about to be licensed as a RPG.

When Richard Arnold defined "canon" from 1989 on, he would specify "live action". Until then, publications such as Lincoln Enterprises' TAS newsletters showed that GR was formerly a big supporter of TAS.

19. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now we're talking turkey.
    Can someone transmute this post into a stick that we can beat the bean counters over the head at CBS/Paramount with? :mallory:

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

An exchange between Box Office Guru and a follower on Twitter: