Ghostbusters 2016: Talk about the movie(s).

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Oct 8, 2010.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Re: Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra

^^^
    Yeah, there's some confusion there with some calling it a reboot and others a sequel.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I have to admit: I would rather them make a reboot than do a sequel that would just be disappointing. Have we learned nothing from Crystal Skull and the Prequels? Sometimes things are meant to rest.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Reboot doesn't necessarily have to mean "restart from the beginning and do it all over again", it could just mean "Start it back up again from where you left off when it went into a stand still for years"

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'd rather it be a reboot/passing of torch. With the (remaining) old Ghostbusters training a younger group and sending them on their own way. Sort of an "eXtreme Ghostbusters" sort of thing.

Murray not being involved is fine, whatever. He can be funny but he's a huge asshat prima donna anyway and really I think he was one of the bigger "weights" in the second movie.

I'd also like to see Ghostbusters take a more harder action/adventure sort of position than a comedy. Taking the subject matter a touch more seriously, again, like say the "Real Ghostbusters" did in it's first couple of seasons. The first movie more-or-less had this adventure-comedy element to it. The second movie very much took more of lighter elements of the cartoon and had it overshadow the serious/realistic aspects of both the cartoon and movies.

5. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Uhm, no, a reboot very much is not that. You just described a continuation.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Which is one of the definitions of the way the word is used today. For isntance, Doctor Who 2005 Current Series, even though it is a continuation, was referred to as a Reboot.

Yes, Reboot did start out referring to remakes only, but, it is also now used for a Continuation of a Franchise that has been dormant for a period of time (IE: A trilogy that was completed and someone comes along 5 or 10 years later and wants to do a second Trilogy continuing on from where the first one left off)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  7. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I will murder everyone to prevent Ghostbusters 3 from being made.

In his last moments, Danny will make eye contact with me, sadness brimming in those puppy-dog eyes, but he'll know. He'll understand.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Indeed. The world does not need another shitty Ghostbusters sequel.

They Should've Stopped After The First Movie (TM):vulcan:

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

What the hell, I'll help.

10. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

If it's a sequel, it'll earn huge brownie points with me if it's about preventing the end of the world on February 14, 2016 as predicted by the physic lady from World of the Physics with Dr. Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters 2!

11. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jeez, am I the only one excited for this? The revival of a long dead franchise should be a time for celebration; not a time to bash and moan. If the film sucks? You ignore it and wait for the inevitable RedLetterMedia review. If the film is awesome? Well, awesome.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Probably. Neither Aykroyd or Ramis have done anything good for years, GB2 was made 13 years ago and is barely defined as "good" and our main cast are fat sexagenarians. And Hollywood is a very poor track record with sequel, an even poorer one with reviving decades old franchises/movie series as of late. (See: Indiana Jones:KOTCS) So, yeah, few probably are excited for this.

13. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was at worst a decent, forgettable film. If we get another enjoyable, yet forgettable film with Ghostbusters III I'll be quite satisfied.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Damn, talk about low standards!:lol:

15. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

So will I. I still feel guilty about doing nothing about Crystal Skull.

16. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The problem is that Ghostbusters isn't a franchise (or at least it was never intended to be). The success of the first film is that its central idea is that four nuclear-powered hucksters somehow stumble into saving the world. It's a brilliant comedy first and foremost, with the sci-fi / horror elements aiding in building the joke. Ecto-1's design, for example, is a brilliant payoff. The whole movie is a happy accident in terms of how well it came together.

The only reason Ghostbusters 2 exists in the first place is because Columbia saw The Real Ghostbusters selling metric tons of toys, and it wanted some more of that sweet, sweet money, so they dumped trucks full of money on the principals' lawns and convinced them to come back. No one actually wanted to do the movie (outside of maybe Aykroyd), and it shows in the finished product, which seemingly everyone involved hates.

This is a movie that's been in development hell since about 1992, has never had a script that everyone has been happy with (Reitman had dropped out of development from 1999 - 2005ish because he hated what Aykroyd was pushing), Ramis hasn't made anything legitimately funny since some bits and pieces of Analyze This, Aykroyd has lost the plot, and even Reitman seems to have blown his wad after Evolution, which tried so desperately to be Ghostbusters 3 itself.

It's not a movie crying out to be made because there's a great story waiting to be told. It's a movie that Sony wants to make because it wants more sweet, sweet merchandise money, and the only reason Ramis, Aykroyd and Reitman are involved in the first place is because the deal they made back in 1984 stipulates that they have to be (or at least sign off on it), or else the movie can't go forward. If Sony could get rid of them, it would have, and we would have seen Ghostbusters: The Remake out for the 25th anniversary a few years ago. We're not going to get a nostalgia trip of one last adventure with the guys -- we're going to get something that introduces a new crew that Sony can then sequelize to hell and back.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah that's all true... but I'm still willing to give the movie a shot. This thing has been talked about and debated forever, so it'll be nice to finally see what it looks like. Plus I'm kinda curious to see how they update and modernize everything.

And hey, if nothing else, we'll have tons of fun ripping it apart later online. :D

18. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...

That pretty much sums up my feelings. :)

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing Winston might still be around? Didn't see any solid mention of his inclusion.
    If not around at start then be brought in later for help training, a type of coach?

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

At this point, we've all been subjected to so many years of idle chatter on the subject I kinda feel we deserve a movie just to have it pay off somehow. If Tron can produce a watchable sequel a generation later...

Besides, a new 'busters flick might well produce a significant upswing of cute girls in gray coveralls and proton packs for a Halloween or two. Isn't that worth ticket-buying for? Isn't that worth sighing for? :p