Top Ten Reasons I Returned My Kindle

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Dusty Ayres, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

From last year:

Top Ten Reasons I Returned My Kindle

A rebuttal to this topic

2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Some of his reasons don't make all that much sense because he assumes that people will totally replace books with the Kindle. This is not so.

I don't own a Kindle but plan to buy one. I will be using it for free or very cheap books and certain novels. I will still buy the novels of my favourite authors in book form. I will also still buy srt books, wildlife books in book form.

3. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

I prefer my books. They're unlikely to get deleted by computer virus.

4. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Some of his points make no sense at all. He claims it's actually easier to page through a book looking for something you read, than typing in a search term and immediately going there? And he claims it’s easier to lose your place in a Kindle, where it automatically knows how far you read, than in a book? BS.

5. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Pebcak?
    (problem exists between chair and kindle).

6. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I like my Kindle. It has its issues as does owning regular books. Some things I will get for the Kindle, others I'll buy as regular books.

It's great for travel. For the takeoff/landing, that's why I carry a puzzle book. ;)

7. Miss Chicken

Am I strange because I like to actually watch the takeoff and landing when I fly. I am quite willing to buy a few extra dollars for a window seat if I have to.

I usually don't read while on a plane unless I am flying over water.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Huh, never been charged for changing from an aisle to a window seat. And I have flown hundreds of times.

But yea, I know what your saying I like to watch the landing/takeoff.

It's the highest chance during the flight of an incident occurring.:techman:

9. Miss Chicken

What I mean is that book online I have to pay $5 if I want to select my seat on the diagram otherwise I have to just take what I am given. I think you have to pay $20 if you want to book a seat near the exit.

10. Ronson2k10

Ronson2k10 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It seems like a technology that should have happened near the beginning of the information age but has taken so long to happen that it's almost like buying a tape deck now. I so prefer to be off the machine and un-teched when reading a book. It's like eating - somethings you just shouldn't do while plugged in. It's noble cause perhaps in the sense of preservation but I've got books I've had for years and years.

We spend so much of our lives looking at screens PDA/Cell/Laptop/Desktop/TV why not get away from it for a moment and turn a page with your fingers... :)

11. Miss Chicken

My main reason for wantinga Kindle is because you can incease the font size as needed. It isn't pleasurable to read a book if the font size is too small. Large print books are one possible solution, a Kindle is another solution.

12. Ronson2k10

Ronson2k10 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. I have eye difficulties too although not enough to be to big a problem if they keep to the current batch of font sizes for printing. If it gets smaller then I could have issues.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or forcibly deleted by Amazon without telling you. Linky

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It seems to me this guy was just being difficult for the sake of filling up 10 items on his "10 reasons" list.

I never tried one but I think the DRM would irritate me. Are you locked into your one Kindle for your purchases?

15. ring

ring Guest

the day is not far when we can't do without technology....i don't think kindle will replace books...:guffaw:

16. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

With most airlines, you can usually get a window seat if you ask when you check in and get your boarding pass.

17. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I like to see/feel how much of a book i've got left to read. Numbered pages and/or a progress bar is not the same.

Surprised that didn't make the list.

18. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Not sure exactly what you mean here, but you can have multiple Kindles in your "family" and move books from one to the other. There are restrictions of course.