The New Prisoner-Jim Caviezel, Ian McKellen

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Joel_Kirk, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I haven't seen any posts on the new Prisoner mini-series on AMC, but it does look interesting.

Patrick McGoohan (RIP), would have been proud, I think...and he probably would have had a bit part in this mini-series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv24gVSWhj4

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

McGoohan was still alive while they were filming, so he didn't want to play a bit part.

But it does look rather good, and I'm looking forward to it. And I say this as a huge fan of the original series (just bought it on Blu-Ray, and it looks glorious!).

3. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm definitely looking forward to this. It looks pretty good, McKellen and Caviezel seem ideal choices to me, and heck, the original Prisoner - while a product of its time - was also ahead of its time in some sense. Devastatingly fantastic series and anyone who hasn't seen it, should.

Am so very envious.

4. Joel_Kirk

@ Harvey-Maybe I shouldn't have said 'bit part' since The Prisoner was his baby...;) (I gather he gave it his blessing though?)

@Kegg-Yes, the original was ahead of it's time, a work of brillance. A show that had 17 episodes, and still has people talking today...and tidbits in popular culture such as: Babylon 5, The Simpsons, etc...

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure if he gave it his blessing, but he did express that he didn't want to appear in it, either as a bit part or in a larger role (as a member of either cast or crew). In an article quoted by wikipedia (but which I have read at other, more reliable sources):

Another interesting bit is that the six episodes of the miniseries will apparently be based on six episodes of the original series--"Arrival," "Living in Harmony," "Hammer Into Anvil," "Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling," "The Schizoid Man," and "Checkmate." Those are six of the best episodes of the series, so I'm not complaining. It is interesting that neither "Once Upon a Time" nor "Fall Out" are being adapted for this miniseries, which suggests a very different conclusion could be in store.

Oh, and Kegg, if you upgrade to Blu-Ray, The Prisoner is so very, very worth it (looking online, the region 1 and 2 versions are almost identicial).

6. FluffyUnbound

FluffyUnbound Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The ads make it look like he's not stuck in a "village" per se, but some sort of world-sized prison, and I'm not sure if that makes no sense or is completely profound.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I am very much looking forward to this? When will it air? Is it next weekend?

Like it original series...probably both! :lol:

8. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can anybody tell me what the premise is about? It does look worth checking out

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Since I've never had the opportunity to see the original I'm very much looking forward to the remake. Plus... McKellen!

10. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

11. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I need to get on both of those things. The remake looks surprisingly solid, from what I've been exposed to.

One of these damn days I'm going to buy the set on DVD.

12. PhasersOnStun

PhasersOnStun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I too love The Prisoner; in fact, I went to a Halloween party recently dressed as Number 6. :) (Of course, living in America, and going to a party in which everyone but me was between 20-30, nobody had a clue who that was...)

I do have to say, however, I did think the series finale was really, really bad.

I have the whole set on DVD, I guess it's time to replace them on blu-ray! :)

13. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I was dead set against anyone remaking the Prisoner. And I actually still am.

However one fan bitching about it doesn't stop such things from being made, so knowing it can't be UN-made, my concern now is that, if they have to remake it, let it be a damn good show. The fact they're doing a mini-series instead of a 2-hour movie is definitely working in its favor.

I watched about 5 minutes of the spoiler-heavy 9-minute trailer that was circulated a few months back and I think this has the potential to work, and work well. Yes, there are many things that have been changed. But the trailer FEELS like the Prisoner. And there are a couple of elements from the original show that are coming back that I think is great, plus I have a gut feeling about this show that i can't put into words without spoiling, but if they do what I think they might do, this is going to be fantastic. I've gone from being worried to really looking forward to it. So much so I'm actually scheduling my travel time on Sunday to make sure I'm home in time to see it.

So, am I in favor of a Prisoner remake? Still no. Do I think this Prisoner remake is going to kick ass? It certainly seems that way. So if they have to remake it, let them do it in a way that brings The Prisoner back into the mainstream in a big way, wins tons of awards, gets accolades galore and, along the way, maybe sell a few DVD/Blu-Rays of the McGoohan series, too!

Speaking of the series on Blu-Ray, is that out yet? And if so, what do people think? The Prisoner is one of those shows that technophiles have sworn up and down physically cannot be upconverted to high-def. Assuming they haven't replaced Rover with CGI or something, if the transfer came over, that bodes very well for other older TV shows being released to Blu-Ray eventually, and to whatever the next-generation high-def format that replaces the "disc" medium is, when backwards compatibility is no longer possible.

Alex

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It's out on Blu-Ray (both in the UK and in the states), and, yes, it looks fantastic. It stands alongside the classic Star Trek Blu-Rays as to how good a 1960s era television series can look when given the proper care. They haven't used a bit of CGI, of which there is really no need. Nearly all of the effects on the series were done in camera (i.e. Rover). When it comes down to it, The Prisoner is not much of an effects-filled show, anyway, so it makes sense that it would be an easy title to bring to Blu-Ray.

And, to top it off, the special features are excellent. Lots of care went into this release, and it shows. Well worth my 50 bucks.

15. Joel_Kirk

Hmmm, that series finale....:lol:

I may have to be corrected on this, but didn't McGoohan say once that there were 'riots' because the ending wasn't straightforward...?:lol:

I happened to think 6 'escaped' but he is still in The Village of the real world, to get metaphorical...

My favorite episode has to be the one [I forget the name] where 6 drives the Number 2 for that episode crazy by telling him that he--Number 2--is being watched...

Another episode fave [of which I also forget the name] has Number 6 being watched, as usual, until the end when it is revealed that he was double-crossing the agents of the The Villiage. He tells them on the camera 'Good night, to children everywhere.'

Come to think of it, if They are watching him 'everywhere'...6 can't even 'relieve' himself or take a shower without being watched....

*shiver*

16. Bad Atom

Bad Atom Commodore Commodore

I tried my best to enjoy the original "Prisoner" but it just became a trippy, surreal mess by the end of its run. After it was over I was hoping someone would do a more realistic remake (a la "Battlestar Galactica") and I guess my wish came true.

The remake looks great from what I've seen so far, seems more "grounded" for lack of a better term, and still has the iconic floating bubbles of death. Really looking forward to it.

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I love the original--I would go as far as to name it one of the best television series ever made--but if you're looking for a coherent literal ending to it, you won't find it. George Markstein wrote one, which you can find out about online, but it was ultimately less interesting than the series deserved. It does have a coherent allegorical ending, though. The recent episode by episode reviews at the AV Club illustrate this in plain terms.

18. PhasersOnStun

PhasersOnStun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for pointing me there! I must say, I really enjoyed reading both the reviews/analysis, and commentaries. As with everything on the Interweb, you always end up with some boneheads getting in a "you're stupid! No, you're stupid!" kindergarten-style sandbox fight, but there was thankfully little of that.

I guess my issue is this: I agree that it was an allegorical vs. literal ending. I understand, intellectually, what McGoohan wanted to convey. If I felt that the ending fully conveyed that allegorical message, I would have loved it. But I simply think it was rushed, not fully realized, more haphazardly put together than the content deserved. For example, I think the concept of the absurdist reveal of Number 1 is a wonderful concept, but I think it wasn't executed well.

So when I say that the finale was bad, I don't mean that the concept of an Absurdist, Allegorical ending upset me, and I wanted a literal, "orthodox spy/action plot-driven ending." I mean that due to pacing, lack of funding/rehearsals/not having enough time, whatever the reason, what might have been a great story missed all it's marks.

Nevertheless, I loved the series to pieces! :)