Does Enterprise have the most violent deaths in Trek?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by teacake, Sep 14, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Degra's death and Persis's death are the most violent things I've seen in Trek. By violent I mean personally confronting as well as the act itself. Obviously an episode where a planet blows up contains more violence as far as how many die in the story, but violence on tv isn't about a numbers game. These deaths are up close and personal, they are visibly very painful and cause us to recoil at what is happening to the character.

Degra's death is particularly horrible because of the last words his killers says to him.

[​IMG]

"I am going to find your wife and children and do the same to them. Your traitorous bloodline will end at the tip of my blade." Dolim

Persis's death is particularly horrible because it is at the hands of her lover and brother, who kisses her as he stabs her to death.

[​IMG]

So, are these the most violent deaths in Trek? I can't think of any others as in your face as these ones.

2. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

I found it very affecting and disturbing (as in, nightmare-inducing) when crewmen flew out of a hole in the ship during S3. It was just so awful that they had no chance whatsoever.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno the most "woah!" death moment for me was the infamous Conspiracy head explosion along with the slug thing.

I think what made the two deaths you mentioned so shocking wasn't so much the method... Worf has been gutting people with knives throughout TNG and DS9 both, but the level of how personal both of them were.

4. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lieutenant Commander Remmick disagrees with you...

[​IMG]

M

5. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

oh, so does Admiral Dougherty, but to be fair, he deserved it...

[​IMG]

M

6. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I think Anthony Zerbe must insist on a violent death in every film he does.

Licence to Kill anyone? They put him in a deepsea diver's compression chamber, and made his head explode!

I don't know. Depends how focused the camera direction is and how the storylines are on a character falling victim or perp. Klingons slash at people left, right and centre... but the Bat'leths are made from rubber, sound FX dubbed over later, while stuntmen always land just out of shot.

Deep Space Nine on the whole, across the seasons, I should think. Although Enterprise might figure disportionately once it suddenly started getting good.

The Next Generation, while all the more shocking, tended to be a rare thing. Worf's despatch of Duras is notable.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  7. teacake

Yes it was how personal they were that affected me.

8. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Varria's death from the Varon-T in "The Most Toys" was pretty horrible.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Marta got blowed up real good in "Whom Gods Destroy." Which I guess was better than choking to death in a toxic atmosphere.

10. teacake

Oh yeah, Marta was upsetting to me. Gets me every time.

11. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not at all violent per se, but the crushing of the cube Yeoman Thompon in "By Any Other Name" never sat well with me. For me, it made the Kelvins irredeemable, and I didn't care to see them become our friends, as Kirk suggests at the end. To have a character threaten or even attempt to kill people is one thing, but once you have them do it, they've crossed a line that you generally can't un-cross without making some heroic sacrific (i.e. Damar, Doc Ock, or Anakin Skywalker)

And yeah, even though it was painfully obvious the Augment arc could only end with all of them dead and Soong taking up cybernetics instead, Persis' death was unsettlng for me too (Pretty girl deaths usually are, which is probably why slasher films generally aren't my cup of tea).

In terms of gruesomeness, though, nothing beats Remmick. I was pretty young when I first saw it. (I remember the howl that "mother" parasite made REALLY freaked me out!)

Dougherty would probably be a runner up, but I think it was pretty quick on screen and that one screen shot makes it look worse than it was.

12. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll call out Terrell's death-suicide in TWoK.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Phlox's friend in the Augment arc was pretty awful, especially since we knew him so well from Phlox' letters

14. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually I think the most gruesome death Trek has had was in a G rated Movie. The transporter deaths near the start of the movie as you hear the screams and see the outline of the bodies changing. Utterly gruesome, though an accident as opposed to homicide.

15. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, that one still gets to me.

16. t_smitts

That wasn't him. An assistant got killed. Phlox's friend lived.

17. t_smitts

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. That WAS pretty unsettling. I know there was no PG-13 rating back then, but how on earth did that not earn the movie a PG, at least?

18. teacake

That still affects me the same way it did when I was a kid. I often wonder if new viewers experience the same impact of the horror of it or if the oldness and styrofoam dilutes it.

19. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Third one for ENT I'd forgotten: Archer stabbing the Rept with (Cochrane?) statue in Twilight.
    [​IMG]

20. teacake

OMG that was so awesome!! That was inspired, LOLOL!! And yeah it's a replica of Zephram Cochrane's statue that they told him about in First Contact :guffaw: