Smallville Summer Hiatus Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

They haven't been advertising it as their final season, but it is a wait and see if SV goes to 10.

I could see CW dragging it out just for bragging rights (which I kinda wonder if that is what happened with SG-1).

2. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

yes Rex Mason does seem like he would be expensive to do, still he would fit into the show quite well, accident down at a Luthor Corp planet etc etc,

as for Jimmy, its nice that DC are showing an interest, but I think there are other things about Smallville that require the attention of DC, like doing something to get rid of ALL of the Kypronite.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Mason does turn out to be Metamorpho they could handle the CGI like they did with Doomsday and just show occasional shots of the character. The fact that Smallville has moved to Friday night's isn't encouraging but I wonder what it is going to take for CW to axe the series? Not that I want it to be cancelled, I just want a satisfied ending (which I'm probably not going to get).

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

HA! Metamorpho's power actually do come from meteor exposure!!!

Add a little ancient Egyptian mysticism, but it was a glowing rock from space. :)

5. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

if that is the case, I dont think I even need bother watching this episode, to know how its going to go.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm having a hard time thinking of three episodes in the entire run where that wasn't true.

Chloe dancing with Jimmy the spy ifs the first one that comes to mind. :)

7. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

The rumour mainly came about because of a Behind the Scenes picture. The little girl that Doomsday was about to snack on in the finale was in make up, and on the table in front of her was a head shot of Witwer with a goatee.

But in a post-finale interview, Sam Witwer sounded pretty bitter about was done to his character in the finale, and it was indicated that he was only sticking around for season 8.
    EDIT: Added Interview link.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

God, the season finale...

[​IMG]

9. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

To be fair Kristen Kreuk said the same thing and remained an additional season (she admitted later she did it to renegotiate her contract).

10. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Forgive me for those that really like this show, but I think they are beating a dead horse now. They are driving this show into the ground, and not in a good way. It is impossible to believe that Clark would not be superman by now, let alone not being able to fly, and that there would still be such strong ties to Smallville. You can't keep him a teenager forever. I think this series is going to fizzle out. One or two more seasons is really pushing it. Charmed also suffered from this, the CW extended it way past its prime, and it ended with a whimper. I think Smallville will share the same fate.

11. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

but Clark is a hero now, he is the Red/Blue Blur sure he is not Superman but it is the best we are going to get, and given all the shame he feels about how people have died becasue of him, and people have died keeping his secert, how he blames himself for every single meteor freak, its a minor mircale he is a hero, and he certainly would not be the big public hero that Superman is.

As for his flying, his superleap in Doomsday seems very impressive, im sure if he really wanted to he could start to fly, after starting from a leap, which is maybe more realistic than him just floating up, like he has done before.

Truth is Smallville could turn itself into Lois & Clark if wanted to, Lois & Clark investigate the story, to help drive the plot Clark uses his power (X-Ray or Superhearing) to discover what the villain is up to, the Red/Blue blur makes a quick appearance to stop the bank robbery, Lois reminds none the wiser, but growing ever more in love with the Red/Blue blur, end credits.

Dare I say it, but I see no reason why every single Clark Kent has to end up as the standard Superman, this Clark has had a very different life to other Clarks (who for the most part had all there teen angst off screen, without Lex or a totally massive amount of Kypronite) way I see it, this is bound to mean he becomes a different type of hero to what might normal happen, the almost limitless supply of Kypronite for one, is a good reason why he does not hang around for cameras.

There are of course people who argue that Superman is the real person, and Clark is the secert identity, but that is not something Smallville could ever pull off.

The biggest problem this Clark has, is that he does not seem to be that bright, and far to naive, he really needs to learn to be a hero by himself for a bit, not working with Chloe, Oliver or even Lois. He has had so many people around him he has never needed to learn these things for himself.

12. Admiral_Young

This Clark becomes Superboy Prime thanks to Superboy Prime's reality punch! Smallville should be one of the 52 multiple Earths just so that we can get a comic crossover with our Superman! I pretty much feel the same way as Brent, keep ranting on how much CW is prolonging the show. I don't care that the intent is to tell stories about Clark Kent's "Youth" he's 23 or something now and the showrunners have done interviews all last season promoting his journey in becoming Superman. If the Red-Blue Blur is indeed Superman...then they should just stop teasing us with Superman-esque stuff (like the cape). As Lionel Luthor once told Chloe, it's time to grow up now and leave all this high school silliness behind! One of my favourite moments all time on the show was in "Legion" when I think Garth asks Rokk and Imra if they've come to the wrong timeline or something like that. I laughed so hard! It was like his own WTF did we just encounter and how the hell can he not FLY yet!

13. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've pretty much made up my mind about that too. It's easier on the migraines. When I watch Smallville nowadays, I take comfort in knowing that while this Clark is Red/Blue Blurring all over the world and denying/accepting/denying again his destiny, the real Superman is elsewhere kicking back with the rest of the Justice League between bouts with Darksied and evacuating tsunami victims.

14. Admiral_Young

I've been accepting of the notion that Smallville is indeed it's own alternate universe. In a world where Superman does not exist and Bruce Wayne is embargoed...there is the Red Blue Blurr, Earth's greatest champion of justice and freedom!

15. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Based on the last several seasons, I'd go along with that assessment. It certainly would explain a great many things.

16. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

The only real 'Superhero' is The Green Arrow. He prowls the rooftops, hunting criminals and brings them down. He already has the twin identity thing down pat. I was sorley pissed that they made him out to be a bad guy in the last few episoded last season. At least G.A. has the balls to do what needs to be done. Clark really needs to step up, finish Jor El's training and become the hero he's destined to be. It's the only way he can become Superman. He was in mid training when Chloe stopped it in Season 5. Imagine how Clark would be if he completed his lessons with Jor El? He's definately be at least flying by now. I think this show frustrates me more and more every season. He should've learned to fly when Kara came on the show.

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

What about:

- Aquaman
    - Black Canary
    - Cyborg
    - Flash (as was identified on 'Watchtower's' monitor)/Impulse
    - Martian Manhunter

18. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I have to agree, Green Arrow is a big hero in this "verse" of course he is still only human, and like Batman is limited to Gotham, Green Arrow has his limits as well, sure he can fly around the world on his plane with the Justice League, but where Superman is truly a global superhero (not that you would know it in some versions) that is not the case here.

Smallville accidently made the first & best live action Green Arrow, all he is missing is a show of his own, and a crossover with Robin Hood

19. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

I don't see a 'Hero', I see a vigilante. Fine line, but he's definitely crossed it this past season, if not from the very beginning.

20. Admiral_Young

Just an observation about the Davis/Zod possibility that some have suggested...I watched part of the episode where Lois is inhabited by Fauroa and (I think someone may have pointed this out) she says to Davis that he looks the spitting image of his father! So now that I've reviewed that it is certainly possible that Davis could return portraying Zod instead of another actor. I'll have to rewatch the final scene from the finale again as well to see if Zod looks like Davis...its hard to tell from his back.