2nd Ship in the Into Darkness Trailer

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by YARN, Dec 7, 2012.

1. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

The 2nd ship in the trailer (going into the water) does not look like the nu-Trek Enterprise.

Any guesses as to what ship that one is?

2. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I'm not sure. To me, in the tiny sliver visible in the trailer, it looked a lot like the Enterprise. But I could easily be wrong on that.

3. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

TrekNovie. com did a shot by shot analysis of the trailer. They stated due to the pylon and nacelle shapes and positioning it was not the Big E. In the freeze frame they show, it appears they are correct.

4. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

It definitely looks like a Federation ship.

Hit pause and look at those nacelle, however.

They have a wider stance and appear to have TMP-style front-caps, definitely more slender.

5. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

link please....

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

It's something new for this movie is my guess.

7. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

After looking at it a bit more, I agree. The crashing ship doesn't match the E, but the rising ship might be the Enterprise.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The rising ship has the registry "NCC-17__" clearly visible.

9. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My guess is NX-Class starship. Further, after all the speculation, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest it's Captain Garth's original ship that had been kept in mothballs since is imprisonment.

Either that or it's some other class of ship, since the villain is "detonating" the entire fleet.

10. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that was my thought as well.

I think that ship was a lot larger than the NX-01 was wasn't it? It seems larger to me....I liked all the new ships from the 2009 movie, so I'm totally cool with something new for this one.

I do wonder if we'll have a scene where he causes several starships to fall to Earth, wreaking devastation. It'd be crazy awesome if so, IMO. ;)

11. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not an NX class, not like the one Captain Archer commanded anyway. I'm sure it's just another new design created for this movie.

12. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

I hope some clearer pictures come out soon... I need to have time to build the 3D model before the movie comes out! :)

-Ricky

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i dunno i think more pics of that ship wont be out till around March or April of 2013 =/

14. Shawnster

I've seen other people say the same thing, that it's not the correct size. Well, the Abrams Enterprise is larger than the TOS version, why should an Abrams NX stay 100% true to the Enterprise television series?

Plus, I don't know what to check to determine scale. I've never seen the NX01 crash into an ocean (or whatever the water is) with the city in the background.

Without a proper sense of scale, I couldn't say what the size is.

Of course, NX class might not make sense. If they are staying true to Enterprise TV series, then we're talking about a century old starship. Of course, everyone keeps insisting that Scotty's reference about "Admiral Archer's beagle" was Enterprise's Jonathan Archer.

15. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ Enterprise was set before the timeline reset shenanigans, the NX-01 should be exactly as we saw it.

16. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The ship in the teaser doesn't even look like the NX-01. Proportions are wrong, nacelles are differently shaped, support pylons taper in the wrong direction and have that funky bend in them, no outriggers on top of the primary hull, etc, etc.

No reason to think it's anything other than some random new class of ship designed for this movie, just as they did with several never before seen classes in the last one.

17. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Even so, it's a promising looking shadow. It has a much wider stance than the nu-1701 and the nacelles don't look childishly "ample." Dare to dream of an eventual refit in the nu-Universe?

Old-Spock is there, so he could certainly pass along some ship design advances. He already gave up the formula for transwarp beaming.

18. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Also, I would imagine if it were the NX (which it quite clearly isn't, but anyway, besides the point) they would have to pay royalties to someone (Doug Drexler, or maybe just to CBS I guess) to use it?

19. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah, it's characters they have to pay royalties on, not ship designs.

20. Shawnster

And this is probably thecorrect answer/supposition