Realistic physics based space combat?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by stonester1, Jun 12, 2012.

1. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw that mentioned elsewhere. It looks interesting, but I don't think they're going to make their $40k goal in the next 5 days, seeing as it's only just under $9k now.

3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I wish them good luck and everything, but I see this as an extremely small niche. Sometimes things sound better on paper. What may sound great may actually not be that much fun to play. I could see this as an example of an idea of realism that could end up being a detriment to the gameplay and ending up being very frustrating. The space combat genre is already small enough as it is. Making it like Orbiter + Freespace while neat sounding, would make that niche even smaller.

4. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Realistic space combat? Well, that sounds dreadfully boring to play. There's definitely a gamer niche out there that would enjoy that sort of game, but it's a small niche.

5. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Frontier: Elite II attempted a Newtonian flight model back in 1993. It took a long while to get used to, and deep space combat at high velocities, while flying in-between stations, effectively turned your cockpit view into a turret picking out its target, instead of a fighter craft evading the enemy as per Wing Commander and X-Wing. However, low-velocity manoeuvres such as orbital combat, landing on rough terrain, and the recon and bombing missions, as well as manually flying to a station with a broken autopilot, were much more exciting. :D

6. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I used to mess around with Orbiter (LINK) back in the day. It was interesting, and extremely enlightening, but the last thing that I would add to it is a shooting element. Then, I'm not only calculating my own trajectory, but plotting enemy trajectories and missile envelopes. While I get the math (barely), I lack the willpower.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  7. stonester1

There's a space combat boardgame that does it rather well, though in two dimensions. I'm hoping Steve Jackson, after they do their Kickstarter for Car Wars, does Triplanetary. That game is FUN.

8. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the first thing I thought too upon reading the word "realistic".

Give me something along the lines of the original Colony Wars and I'd be as happy as a pig in shit, though.

9. stonester1

I think if it involves just flying one ship a la Wing Commander, yeah, dull. But more of a tactical command simulation, where you are commanding wings, squadrons, I could easily see how that would be fun.

10. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed, i remember playing a WWII fighter game back in the 90's.. They said it was "how it was" back then.. The game was so freaking hard.. About the only thing i could hit was the ground..:lol:

11. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I had this game called MANTIS back in the day, which was a PC remake of Warhead (originally an Amiga game.) Realistic physics, and hard as hell. It was extremely difficult to play without relying on the autopilot modes. And then the second half of the game becomes impossibly difficult...

12. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There was a scifi game called I-War for PC that used realistic physics, too.
    I did not play that much myself, though.

13. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, the sequel to I-War was a bit less punishing, as it had an automated "flight assist" (which you could shut off if you wanted to be hardcore.)

14. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Independence War? If so great game. Hard as hell.

However, Falcon 3.0 , never gave me problems.

15. Robert Maxwell

Air combat is a much easier thing to deal with, even when realistically simulated, than Newtonian space combat. ;)

16. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, exactly. I can just imagine that any bogies would be the least of anyone's problems. Realistic physics in an atmosphere is one thing, but have it in space and it just adds a layer of complexity most wouldn't know how to deal with, assuming Orbiter-like realism. Get shot at and noone will hear you scream Mayday ;)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  17. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The pitch was boring. It made the game idea seem boring.

Back when I around the time I worked at Psygnosis I pitched a realistic physics space combat gamed called ZeeGee or Zero-G, and I remember how much work it was to try to figure out a control system and user interface that wouldn't be so frustrating that the average player wouldn't toss the controller at the screen.

18. Robert Maxwell

I think a space combat sim with Newtonian physics wouldn't be that bad if the default flight assist mode was "the direction I'm pointing the ship is the direction I want to go." If you want to change the ship's attitude without any thrust being applied (which is one of the nice things about a Newtonian model) then just have a button/toggle for it.

19. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Loved those games. I would happily play more like it.