X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 28, 2012.

1. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yes they are given the right circumstance.. if they had time to prepare ;)

As most people know Bruce Banner is the human form of Hulk (so to speak) and as a baseline human he's quite easy to kill (given that Banner didn't have some kind of technological protection like a forcefield against Hulk's enemies who know about his dual state). One surprise attack and he's dead.

Steve Rogers aka Captain America is a peak condition human and very resilient but if you manage to hit him while his Shield doesn't protect him he can be killed (and i guess even the best bodyarmor won't protect against a full force blast from a Sentinel). Of course Captain America is a brilliant tactician and field leader so he knows about his weakness and would conduct the fight accordingly.. even retreat if the odds are seriously against him but it would be easy to write it in a way where he gets hit in the back while he threw his shield to take out another Sentinel.

Every Superhero has weaknesses which can be exploited.. many of them are quite fragile because they are mostly human protected only by their powers, teamwork and experience but apply an intelligent, well prepared attack with overwhelming firepower and you can take them down. Comics don't do that of course on a regular basis because they'd soon run out of Heroes but this is also why Days of Future Past is so popular because the unthinkable happened on a grand scale.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Emma Frost can always be recast. January Jones was perhaps one of the few criticisms that I had with First Class. She looked the part, unfortunately she didn't act the part as well. My dream recasting would be as I've mentioned before, Alice Eve, but I doubt that would happen. Moria could easily be explained as being off setting up her Muir Island facility already. They could also could have Erik mention "Frost didn't work out as planned. Unfortunate, but necessary." to explain Emma's absence.

3. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey if they can recast Rhodey without anyone going "Didn't you look and sound differently a little while ago?" they can recast Emma Frost. Personally while Alice Eve is many a fanboy's wet dream girl - I'm kind of leaning toward maybe someone a tad older to have the same "experienced" gravitas that the Emma we know and love in the comics has and yet is actually New England - not English. I know some of the cartoons have cast her with an English accent - but really she's a New Englander - think about it, her school was called the Massachusetts Academy after all. She just affects a sort of haughty New England accent, like Kelsey Grammar.

Honestly I think Elizabeth Banks would be an awesome Emma Frost, she's got some bustiness, but a corset will ramp that up, plus she's already a former Marvel actress too - Betty Brant from the Raimi Spider-Man films. So clearly she must at least have some affection for the Marvel-verse - and she can stay a blonde! So what if she's almost 40 - she still looks great.

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

But didn't X-Men the last stand end with things kind of hunky dorry between regular humans and mutants?

How the hell do you go from appointing Hank McCoy as the U.S. representative to the United Nations to unleashing giant robots to commit genocide again mutants.

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe it has something to do with Trask? Apparently The Last Stand's version of Trask appears in the tie-in videogame for X-Men Origins: Wolverine where he is involved in the creation of the Sentinels and is later shown in an epilogue from a Sentinel future.

6. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Movie-verse Hulk is a different beast though. Look at that scene in The Avengers when he says he tried to shoot himself...

7. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

That came straight out of the comics - Peter David's run, if I recall correctly. It's a bit different than what FPAlpha suggested, though. In the case of the suicide attempt, the Hulk persona would have been subconsciously aware of what Banner was planning. What I believe FPAlpha was suggesting was the possibility of a surprise attack that truly didn't give Banner or the Hulk any time at all to react.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would love that. I'm a big fan of Ms. Banks. She's also doing the Hunger Games movies, so she obviously doesn't mind genre work.

9. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

This is turning into one of my most anticipated movies in a very long time.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Indeed. I actually did not like First Class at all, but this movie is starting to sound awesome.

11. Admiral_Young

I could see Elizabeth Banks as Emma Frost...and age probably wouldn't matter for the role since Singer was planning on casting Signourney Weaver as Emma Frost in his "X-Men 3". I think it would be more of a scheduling problem for Banks if anything that would keep her from the film. I think she's attached to two or three projects over the next year or so.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is her character in the last Hunger Games movie? Actually, it doesn't matter, they're already working around the HG movies for Jennifer Lawrence.:brickwall:

13. Admiral_Young

I wasn't even thinking about Mockingjay...Banks has like two or three other films beyond that that are in pre-production...and Mystique is critical to "Days of Future Past".

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

How do you go from the USA arming Mujahadeen fighters in Afghanistan in the 1980s to Al-Queda attacking American soil in 2011? Or the US and USSR being WWII allies, then Cold War foes, then post-Glasnost allies and now cold warriors again?

Not quite as dramatic as giant genocidal robots, admittedly but the status quo rarely remains so for long.

15. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

The more I think about this movie and the more info we get casting-wise, the more I think this needs to be done Yesterday's Enterprise-style, with something in the past creating a ripple effect that leads to the dystopian future, with the crux of the story being going back in time to prevent that ripple effect event from happening. Based on what First Class did, I think the most organic ripple effect event to use would be the assassination of JFK, with the idea being that the truth was classified back in the 60s and then exposed at some point following the events of The Last Stand, thus creating a backlash against mutants that results in the DoFP dystopian future, and sending one or more members of the future X team back to the past to prevent the assassination.

I know Vaughn had mentioned wanting to have Magneto be responsible for killing JFK, but given Ian McKellen' s return for DoFP, I think you might need to have a different mutant culprit.

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ The core problem was McCoy being in the government in the first place after Mags almost killed everybody in X2.

Not bringing Grammar back is a great way to ignore TLS as much as reasonably possible without denying it entirely. :p

17. DigificWriter

It doesn't look like they're going to be ignoring TLS, though, with or without Grammar's Beast.

18. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From what I've read, and I'm probably not the first to make this guess, but I think the producers are going to use the time travel/ripple effect concept to "reboot" the franchise and "fix" some of the continuity, not to mention undo at least some of what happened in X3.

19. DigificWriter

If FOX wanted to reboot the franchise, they had the opportunity to do so with First Class and opted not to,so why would they turn around and reboot the franchise with the sequel to the movie that they decided not to use as reboot?

20. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the same reason JJ Abrams used a time travel conceit to create Nu Trek, and not just a clean reboot?