Summer 2010 catalogue details

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Jan 7, 2010.

1. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Simon & Schuster have released their Summer 2010 catalogues, which are intended for booksellers for advanced solicitation purposes. As always with these catalogues, the information contained within them should not be considered final, and things may (and probably will) change before release.

As was announced a few months back, a new imprint, Gallery Books, has been formed by S&S as a combination of Simon & Schuster Entertainment and the hardcover/trade paperback imprints of Pocket. The mass market paperbacks remain under the Pocket Books/Pocket Star Books banner, but their solicitations are included in the Gallery Books catalogue.

The catalogue (PDF link) therefore contains the covers and blurbs for several forthcoming Star Trek releases, specifically the novels based on the 2009 movie.

Star Trek: Refugees by Alan Dean Foster

[​IMG]

Star Trek: Seek a Newer World by Christopher L. Bennett

[​IMG]

Star Trek: More Beautiful Than Death by David Mack

[​IMG]

Star Trek: The Hazards of Concealing by Greg Cox
    (note that this title has changed slightly...)

[​IMG]
    So, there you have it. It is clear that the last two covers are not quite final - they lack the same logo as the first two. Overall, I much prefer the cover of Hazards, and would think a unified cover style with that as its basis, leading off the original teaser posters as it does, might have been a better approach.

And the stories seem much more appealing than they did with those half-grammatical one-liners from Amazon a few weeks ago

2. snakespeare

snakespeare Commander Red Shirt

I think these are only the titles from the new imprint, Gallery. That's why only movie tie-in novels are described. Have they released the catalogue for Pocket Books yet?

You wrote: "their solicitations are included in the Gallery Books catalogue", but I thought we were getting more than just this fake timeline Trek.

3. DarkHorizon

^No, Pocket MMPBs appear to fall under Gallery. The catalogue has a specific section marked Pocket Books/Pocket Star Books Mass Market Titles, and there are more than just tie-ins within that section.

4. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

Nice! Looking forward to these, especially the final cover art.

Interesting that Starfleet Command has been made aware of Spock Prime. I would've thought that he'd encourage Kirk and Young Spock to keep his role in the events of the movie to themselves. From what I remember of the movie, only Kirk, Spock, and Scotty had any direct contact with him, and I don't think it was generally known to anyone else that he was involved. Hopefully Command finds out in other ways detailed in the book, rather than it being a part of the crew's official reports.

Can't wait to find out.

5. snakespeare

I downloaded the catalogue and looked at every page in that section, and I do not see any other Trek titles. Typhon Pact is coming in the fall, or winter. I guess the summer is only tie-ins. Looks like I'll be re-reading Tolkien this summer.

6. DarkHorizon

^There are no other Trek releases this summer. The 2010 schedule has been known for quite some time, these books have always been the only summer releases, and Typhon Pact begins in October.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The cover approach is pretty much what I expected. Looks pretty good, and certainly makes it clear that the books are tied to the movie.

Oh, absolutely. I can guarantee that is not the final blurb for Seek a Newer World, nor is it particularly accurate.

How do you know it's the last two that aren't final? If anything, my guess would've been that the later covers represent a more developed stage of the process. Or it could be that they're all going to be tweaked further.

It's all fake, you know. They're just stories.

8. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

They all sound like very interesting explorations of the larger Abramsverse! Especially The Hazards of Concealing.

9. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Man, oh, man — whoever wrote the solicitation copy for More Beautiful Than Death completely missed the entire plot of the novel. That is waaaaaay off.

10. Christopher

I suspect the use of "Hazards" is a typo in the catalog and tentative cover. The actual Robert Burns line (from "Epistle to a Young Friend") is "The hazard of concealing."

11. snakespeare

Yeah, I know. And in a few years, I will probably read these. Right now, I don't want a petulant boy Spock or a deliquent boy Kirk. I like the old dignified ones that I'm used to. It's part of getting old. Sorry. It just takes older people longer to adjust to change.

It's good to see you guys have more work coming out, and I hope for your all to get a lot of royalties as S&S milks the current fad of totalling altering characters, which has done so much to get new audiences for Batman and X-Men. My hope is that, like all fads, this too shall pass, and you guys can get back to writing about the dignified grown-up characters we have loved for the last 40 years.

12. Christopher

Then you're in luck, because those aren't the Kirk and Spock featured in these books. Did you miss the third act of the film where they grew out of those stages and came closer to the Kirk and Spock we know?

What's wrong with trying to appeal to a new audience? It's what keeps a series fresh and alive. And it's hardly a fad. Storytellers have been retelling old tales and adapting them for new audiences and new eras since before writing was invented. That which cannot grow and change is doomed to stagnate and die.

Heck, Star Trek itself came about because Gene Roddenberry took old concepts from the prose science fiction of the 1930s-50s (along with a fair amount of the Horatio Hornblower novels from the same period) and repackaged them in a form that was fresh and new to 1960s audiences.

It's not an either-or situation. Pocket is continuing to publish books set in both continuities. And why shouldn't they? It's long been Pocket's strategy with ST to offer a wide range of titles to appeal to a wide range of tastes. There's no expectation that any given person is going to like every series that comes out, but given the diversity of the line, there should be something for everyone. This is just one more addition to the mix. Infinite diversity in infinite combinations and all that.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't over-generalize. :)

14. snakespeare

I am sure I will read these eventually. Maybe after they complete the third movie and restore the timeline... he says, wishing it were true.

15. Sci

There's no restoring to be done. The attack on the U.S.S. Kelvin created a new timeline that exists alongside the original.

In other words, don't think of it as, "They changed all the programming on BBC." Think of it as, "They added BBC 2 to air alongside BBC 1."

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

In practical terms - for TV and movies - the new timeline exists from here on out; the original timeline exists from 1964 to 2005. ;)

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

What?! It's not real? But Captain Picard just got knighted and everything - next you'll be saying there's no Santa Claus!

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It just takes some older people longer to adjust to change.

19. Sci

Maybe, but this is the TrekLit forum, where we get to have both timelines. :bolian:

(And that's assuming that no one who makes future Trek productions decides to go back to the Prime Timeline. And Trek being Trek, it's probably best not to rule anything out.)

20. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Which is disappointing. I said at the time the 2010 schedule was first announced, I think it would have been much better overal to mix up the books, have a TOS in january, nuTrek in feb, the first Typhon Pact book in march and then repeat etc...