Voyager again, for the first time

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by NightJim, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Not as long as they stay away from the schtick of her brothers chasing her for some ;) (Sorry couldn't resist :alienblush: )

Yea, they did go overboard, when I recently did my rewatch, I couldn't help of thinking of 2001 Maniacs (Came out in 2005)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

But they didn't take it from Janeway's brain! They took it from Paris's brain and it was straight out of his Beverly Hillbillies late night popcorn viewing.

3. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

But wasn't that supposed to be the point, that the Caretaker's holograms were a "stupid stereotype"?

As for Indian stereotypes, when I think of Chakotay in this ep, I think of Tom's conversation with Janeway in New Zealand.

PARIS: Chakotay will tell you he left Starfleet on principle, to defend his home colony from the Cardassians. I, on the other hand, was forced to resign. He considered me a mercenary, willing to fight for anyone who'd pay my bar bill. Trouble is, he was right. I have no problem helping you track down my friends in the Maquis, Captain. All I need to know from you is what's in it for me.

You are so funny.

signed,

a former young'un

4. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

And, see, as an Indian, I think of such cringeworthy moments as Tom's life belonging to Chakotay and incoherent babble about turning into a bird & flying out of there.

A noble savage is still a savage. A positive stereotype is still a stereotype.

They couldn't even be bothered to give the man a real tribe.

5. teya

:guffaw:

Now that makes sense. In a Voyager sort of way. :)

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those farm people were from the 1930s.

They weren't stereotypes more so than archetypes.

7. teya

I'm curious and need the perspective of folks from outside the states.

Based on TV, what do you think Americans sound like? Do we all sound alike to you?

I mean, I know the average American can't tell the difference between an Australian accent & a British accent, so I'm wondering if it's the same for you. Does NY and Georgia sound the same to you?

8. teacake

No, they sound very different IRL. But people on television all have the same accent unless the character is about them being from the south, or the bronx or whatever.

9. Guy Gardener

Doctor Doolittle I am not, but it's pretty obvious to delineate one side of the country form the other.

But the window we get into America is movies and scripted fiction where after so many classes and a lot of coaching that a uniform acceptable accent for TV has been constructed.

I quite like Dallas, Nashville and Hart of Dixie at the moment, but 90 percent of the ascents in those shows are fake, and terrible, which is only going to misrepresent my belief in Americana a little more.

I've met a handful of Americans in my life and they never sound like TV.

North from south is piss easy.

The different souths?

Too far north and Canadianisms start slipping in.

Maybe this is a better question for someone who watches "relaity TV" or has actually travelled through America.

10. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

I'm British....

I can tell the difference between Dale Earndheart Jr and Frasier Crane. And Homer Simpson sounds different to Dr Cox from Scrubs, etc.

Ask someone here to do a NY accent and they'll probably do Chandler/Joey from friends (How you doin,...could I BE any more of a stereotype, etc)
    Ask them to do anything southern they'll probably do Foghorn Leghorn.

P.S. tell your friends we have more than 2 accents (Royal and cockney..) thank you very much ;)

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I like Encounter at Farpoint. It wasn't perfect and it had a heavy helping of smugness, and was a clear instance of a show that hadn't figured itself out yet, but I think Picard's attitude toward Q saved the episode and made it interesting, and I like that the test was to intuit the existence of life unlike one's self.

Emissary is the absolute clear winner for pilots, but Caretaker and Farpoint are solid B's to me. The only bad pilot IMO is Broken Bow.

@Dick

Come on, I would *totally* do Jeff Foxworthy. ;)

Anything's better than Marina Sirtis trying to do a Russian accent. Why Stargate why?!

12. Guy Gardener

You understand that the Actress speaks with an English Accent when no one is giving her money?

Marina was 31 before she moved to the States, so her "accent" isn't going anywhere.

13. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I see your point.

I also see why young white men would cringe at the young white male stereotype in Tom's conversation with Janeway.

14. Guy Gardener

Tom is 25?

The Stereotype he's manifesting is Opie Taylor.

7 year old Ron Howard.

15. teya

Maybe they would.

However there are lots of fine, upstanding examples of white malehood in Star Trek.

There is only one Indian.

When they first announced that Voyager would have an American Indian crew member, we were thrilled. He could be inspirational, the way Uhura was in the 60s.

Then they made the character completely unrecognizable as an Indian to other Indians. So much for inspirational.

16. teacake

Young white men cringe?

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

New Grunge Band? ;)

18. Guy Gardener

Any one have a problem with Cringer from Masters of the Universe?

It's a talking house cat that's afraid of everything comic relief.

Then Prince Adam says his magic word and Cringer loses 90 IQ points and gains 2000 pounds of muscle density and is utterly fearless.

And when your pet can talk, it's not a pet, it's a slave.

I'm surprised He-Man didn't use a riding crop while riding Battlecat.

Given that example, should the US Army lobotomise and pump full of steroids all the recruits passing through boot camp?

19. DeepSpaceWine

DeepSpaceWine Commander Red Shirt

Well, Luna of the Lunataks on Thundercats used a riding crop when she rode Amok. BTW, Panthro was voiced by the grandpa from The Cosby Show.

Speaking of He-Man, Skeletor (who also voiced Cringer & Battlecat) is the captain of the Odyssey, Koroth from "Rightful Heir", and the ambassador in the greatest space elevator story produced in the year of 1997, "Rise". DS9 liked getting cartoon villains as they also had the voice of Cobra Commander/Starscream as characters in "The Passenger" & "Blood Oath" (he was also in TNG). Unfortunately Destro never graced Star Trek. He had a great voice.

20. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Parallax

A pretty bog standard Star Trek temporal anomaly helps frame a situation that exemplifies the friction between the Starfleet and Marquis crews.

A good episode that needed to happen. Janeway wants to bury the majority of the Marquis crew in minor roles due to 'regulations'. A rather short sighted stance for someone who's just been forced into a 75 year journey. Chakotay is the voice of reason here, the one person who points out that they need to find a balance between the two.

I also liked how much Janeway's science background comes into play, first when she wants the readings of the anomaly sent to her ready room for her own readings, then later as she warms up to Torres and they start riffing on solutions. Though she seriously gets a bit too close to Torres' face. This is a woman that started the episode by breaking someone's nose.

All in all a good episode that does well to further the characters and the Marquis/Starfleet situation on the ship.