Firefly ep by ep; rewatch and reviews

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by saturn5, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I see we've got to "how we feel about Firefly in general time". I've still not seen the last three episodes or Serenity, so my opinion is still partial, but I don't want to miss out:

So far, this is a series that I like a lot. The characters are generally likeable (in their own way) and interesting - Zoe, Jayne and Book are probably my favourites. I like the richness and diversity of the setting and I think the music complements it nicely.

There are some really good episodes as well, especially Out of Gas and Ariel. A few are so-so for me, but still likeable and I can easily forgive this in a first season.

To be honest, I was kind of wary of this show, even as I was looking forward to watching it, due to how vocal some of its more harcore fans can be (I like Mal, but it was a little offputting to see internet polls flooded with fans declaring him the greatest sci-fi hero of all time). However, it's appealing enough to overcome the hype.

Based on what I've seen, I think that if it had lasted longer it could have rivalled the likes of Trek, B5 and BSG. There's a huge amount of potential there and it would have really enhanced the sci-fi landscape of the last decade.

2. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I think you have to compare Firefly season one to BTVS and Angel's first seasons, if you want to make a fair comparison. If Buffy and Angel only had one season each, I think we can agree that neither of their first years are the very best representation of their respective shows. Firefly had amazing potential, and its such a shame we didnt get to see more. No doubt Joss had lots of plans of where the series could have gone.

3. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

you know saffron would have sold them out to the operative in a heart beat. same result!

If they take the ship, they'll rape us to death, eatflesh, and sew our skins into their clothing.
    doesn't exactly sound like native americans.

i actually thought that the explanation from the movie kind of made sense as far as what we'd seen in the show. but it was just too sudden to discover it like that in the movie. i would have preferred a gradual discovery over the course of several seasons. but then, i would have preferred several seasons.

oh, how i miss firefly...

i had ignored all spoilers before the movie, and i was totally shocked - like WTF just happened :eek::eek::eek: - but there was no fucking time to let it soak in, cause the movie just keeps on flying.
    Badger is a great idea. Or even if they struck some deal with Niska. Enemy of my enemy...

b-b-but he is!

:D

4. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And you're quite entitled to think so, but I don't think for a second that this is as common an opinion as the internet would lead one to believe ;)

5. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps he would have, but he was the wrong character for this story. Serenity the movie needed the Operative, not Jubal.

Jubal was insane. He took the job as an assassin and bounty hunter because he was distinctly unstable and it gave him an excuse to hurt people, not because he had any feeling or loyalty to any particular cause.

The Operative was completely stone cold sane. He knew that he had to do horrible things, that he wasn't a nice person because of those things he had to do. But he had such belief in the rightness of his cause - the Alliance - that he considered any unpleasant means to be worth the end. He did the things he did because he wanted the final result for the entire known 'Verse, even if he himself was not allowed to be a part of that 'Verse because of the things he'd done to achieve his end. In short, he was a true believer, not a paid mercenary.

And that's important for the story, because at the end of the story the Operative loses his religion. He discovers that the Alliance is not the faultless perfect state that he believed it to be, and he must basically reconstruct his personality from the ground up because of this realization. Which is the same thing Mal had gone through when he lost his belief in the Independant army - and "God," however he defined it - after the Battle of Serenity Valley.

We see Mal, through the course of the show, rebuilding his life and finding a new reason to live - his new family on the Serenity. In the aftermath of the film, the Operative must now do the same.

Jubal Early couldn't have offered us anything like that. He would have just been "kewl."

6. saturn5

saturn5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're right I missed Zoe but I did include Mal getting hammered all the time, Jayne in the shot column and Wash in the Crew column etc

7. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

In tghe new table discussion on the blurays, Joss says that he so loved writing the stylized dialog that he still thinks in those speech patterns sometimes, wishes he could still be writing that way, and curses the day it was taken away from him.

DAMN you, Fox!

8. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

That's a very interesting perspective. It makes the Operative a lot like Sloan on DS9. But Sloan had Bashir as the the perfect foil, whereas Mal is no idealist. Which leads me to the problem:

Sloan never has an illusions that the Federation is doing bad things, because he's doing bad things. All the time. In order to save the Federation, which he believes - however flawed - is fundamentally good.

That's why I don't believe that someone like the Operative could lose his religion at the end. The man has done some horrendous shit in his life - just in the opening minutes he slaughters the lab staff that let River escape. It seems unreasonable that a man who has seen as much as he has - who has done as much as he has - would be shocked by the Reaver reveal at the end.

Sloan wouldn't even bat an eye.

9. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

"Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their shit!"

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

I really hated that Niska didn't die horribly. He was such a good villain, I wish there had been more of him.

About Mr. Universe, I don't want to say I'm all onboard and thought it was the greatest idea ever or anything... BUT I did find it a unique and interesting sci-fi concept. And it looked cool when they were flying in to talk to him the first time, showing all the "signals" and whatever. As a character he was too goofy, but the concept I give props to.

11. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

argh. if the show wasn't so short, there would still be new reviews to read...

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, statistics anyway.

13. saturn5

saturn5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But what font would they be in?;)

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Self-depreciating humor. Your stock rises with me.

15. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

stock rises... captain subtext?

16. I am not Spock

Wonder where the series would have gone if it hadn't been cancelled? No doubt we'd have seen Jubal Early again. Probably Niska and his thugs, too. I think River would have returned to normalcy eventually as the series went on (much like Joss' plan for the sadly-not-to-be Angel season 6 with vestiges of Fred coming out of Ilyria's personality).

God I miss this show.

17. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think we'd probably run into YoSafBridg at least once a season.

18. I am not Spock

YoSafBridg probably would have become a recurring character, a thorn in Mal's side, ala Ethan Rayne in Buffy

19. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Somewhat unrelated note, but after going through Firefly/Serenity last month, I decided to start watching ABC's Castle to at least get a semi-Mal fix. It's a decent methadone, but the first act in Season 2, Episode 6 was a dose of the real deal.

20. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

is that the halloween episode? someone showed me the clip when the episode came out and i was like :wtf::eek::D:D:beer::hugegrin::hugegrin::D