Attack Wing!

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Destructor, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Had a game of this the other night- pretty fun. Lots of special moves, a lot of character.

Am disappointed by the model quality- the three ships that come with the starter set are just terrible. But apart from that it seemed a lot of fun.

Anyone else played this?

2. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

haven't played it, but I think I have a starter kit from it, and the K't'inga.
    Yeah, the models are not at all great.

My K't'inga's bridge section is rotated 90 degrees...ha ha ha.

Now, on a different note, the Star Wars X-wing dice game that is out has some outstanding craftsmanship on their models.

I have the Millennium Falcon, the Lambda class Imperial Shuttle...both of which are finely made miniatures.....and I recently got the Tantive IV CR-90 Corellian Corvette (which is my favorite ship in all the Star Wars universe). It (the CR-90) ran me 90 bucks, but the beauty of this build is astounding. An excellent practical model...perhaps even suitable for photographic FX shots. When I rebuild my CG corvette, I can use this ship as the texture reference. :)

3. Destructor

Yes the X-Wing game (basically the same game as Attack Wing) has excellent models- even more reason to be disappointed with the Star Trek version!

4. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

^ On the plus side, though, the Star Trek models aren't $90.

martok2112, I'm not at all familiar with that Star Wars game. What drives the prices so high? Is it just that it's OOP or something, so certain models are hard to find? Or are they a larger scale than the Trek Attack Wing models? Just curious.

5. martok2112

Hi, Arrow,

I've not played the Star Wars X Wing game either, but there is a really high quality that goes into even their starfighter miniatures.

At the starfighter level, they've tried to keep things to scale...but once they started making capital ships like the Galofree transport and the CR-90 Corvette, they broke scale. So, the fighters, up to the Falcon, Slave One, and the Lambda class shuttle are to scale. Once they got into the larger ships, they had to break scale.

The fighters are around 15 bucks a pop, I believe. Ships like Slave One, the Falcon, and the Imperial Shuttle are around 30. I was actually figuring on the CR-90 to only be around 60. It is a relatively large miniature though...probably about 8 to 10 inches in length...and the amount of detail on it is painstaking. I mean, it looks even better than my Kenner light and sound Tantive IV....it's proportionally correct too.

I got my Tantive IV at a gaming store (Go4Games). But you can also likely find them at Barnes and Noble (which is where I got my Falcon and Imperial Shuttle...and found the Galofree Transport ship). I don't know if the price is a case of rarity, though. I think it has more to do with the quality of work that went into making the miniatures. :)

6. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

^ Thanks for the reply! :techman:

7. martok2112

You're perfectly welcome. :)

8. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

^^^
    Actually the CR-90 is about 13 inches long. The Rebel Transport is about 8 or 9 inches.

I still haven't played the Trek version of his game, but I've heard good things. I just wish the scales of the models were a bit better thought out. Honestly, the models are the biggest draw to the X-Wing game, at least for me personally.

--Alex

9. Destructor

There's a really interesting project a guy is documenting online to make a scale version of Attack Wing:

http://blacksixredseven.blogspot.com.au/search/label/ATTACK WING: Boss' BIG Approved Models

However, as impressive as that is... I kinda justify the scale thing to myself by saying they are just meant to represent where the ships are in a much larger, massive space. Does that make sense? I don't really think of the ships as moving 'to scale', rather being tiny things in a vast space and the model is just there to say: "This is where these ships are." not: "And this is how big they are."

I mean, I don't really think of starship battles being in such a confined space, for starters. But also, the scale of the ships is ridiculous in some instances. I mean, the Romulan Warbird is apparently only 300m smaller than DS9! Did it ever look that way on screen- they always looked to be slightly larger than the ENT-D, to me. I think the show was quite 'fluffy' with ship sizes, so I have no problem if the game does that as well. While a 'to scale' project sounds cool, I think it will get way to unwieldy to represent everything to scale. Can't we just say the game is the computer simulation of a real-time battle, and the models are just the icons for each ship- not to scale, just showing what ship is where?

[​IMG]

10. martok2112

There is a gaming store/center near where I live...and if I had more time, I would love to see how the Xwing game plays.

I remember before, there were a couple of other attempts to make ship combat games.

One company, just before this Xwing iteration, had license to make a game that featured both fighters and capital ships, and they made some miniatures. The larger ships are very misproportioned, and of course, proper scale is impossible. I have a small collection of those ships, including the starter kit which came with a Super Star Destroyer and an MC-80 Mon Calamari star cruiser. (Both, very misproportioned.)

Yeah, it was really difficult to do proper scaling for practical models on television. (Part of the reason why there were different sizes for the oft overused Klingon Bird of Prey). I thought Star Trek Generations did a nice job of showing the scale differences between a Nebula class cruiser, a Miranda class cruiser, and an Oberth class science vessel.

For board/tabletop games, the sense of scale is definitely a luxury, albeit an impractical one...especially with hex based games like StarFleet Battles or FASA's Starship Tactical Combat Simulator. I remember, I used to have the very first six inch die cast toy of the Enterprise D...and it was amazing to find out that it was actually to scale with the Constitution class miniatures from both SFB and STCS. It would've been nice to be able to place a hex stand under it and use it on the star board, but it would've taken up too much space.

The scale is further made impractical simply by the fact that each hex on the board (at least in STCS) represented 10,000 kilometers. :)

This is why I liked video games like Star Trek: Bridge Commander and Star Trek Legacy. They seemed to get the scale right, and it was real-time space combat.

11. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Ii find it telling that Fantasy Flight, who makes the X-wing game, will be producing a separate miniatures game for capital ship battles, and that the new game will not be compatible with the first.

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Hey, if we get good ship models--I'm down with that.

It is nice to see something beside action figures being made for a change.

13. Bad Thoughts

Some of the models are pretty good. My son picked up Kronos One, which is easily more gorgeous than anything in X-wing.

If anyone is interested, some woman has a video about dry brushing the minis to improve their appeal. (On my phone, so no link. )

14. Bad Thoughts

15. martok2112

I really need to get down to my local gaming store and try out both ST Attack Wing and SW X Wing....if they run either of those games.

16. Destructor

I played X-Wing on the weekend and had a pretty good time. I honestly wish FFG were producing the Trek game as well as the models and card pieces are far superior in X-Wing.

17. Bad Thoughts

There were leagues for both Attack Wings and X-Wing in my area over the Summer, but now there is nothing. I am a bit surprised: $100 would buy a decent tournament fleet in either game, which is more than can be said for Android: Netrunner or Magic: The Gathering.