Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

It looks like chainmail.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

If anything it reminds me of the same texture that they used for Thor's suit.

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which I think is the point, since it's supposed to look like a Kryptonian neo-medieval armor.
    At least that's what I remember reading.

I like it btw.

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'll reserve final judgement until I see it on the big screen.

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    That is not how the internet works you know. ;)

6. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I still think the costume needs something more around the waist, red or yellow. Just to break up the eyeline a bit.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

8. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, because if there's one thing an invulnerable alien needs, its medieval armor. :rolleyes:

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Neo-medieval Kryptonians aren't invulnerable on Krypton. If the suit is Kryptonian is origin its protective nature is irrelevant when worn by a Kryptonian on Earth.

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing that the suit is Kryptonian is origin so it preexists Kal-El's arrival on Earth.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Superman is only super on Earth. Red sun vs. Yellow sun and all that stuff, ya know?

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Medieval alien armor certainly makes a lot more sense than thin ballerina tights (that his "aura" somehow just "magically" protects from damage). Or a suit made from indestructible Kryptonian... blankets. Lol

13. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

But the very idea of Superman really is him being on Earth. Wearing a cape and swashbuckler boots is based on Human fashion. There is nothing alien about that. Even when the idea of his suit being made from his Kryptonian blankets was introduced, its style was never based on Krypton fashion.

The 1978 movie introduced the idea of the Symbol having a Krypton origin. But even than Brando did not wear a suit that looked like exactly like Superman's. The idea of the suit being fully of Krypton design is very recent and I do not like it.

Take away the briefs and giving it more texture and detail does not change that it still looks like a human idea of how a hero should dress. All this over rationalization does not make the costume more believable or truly alien.

14. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The new costume is horseshit. Spider-Man's too. By making them more believable they've made them less believable. It's almost amazing.

15. Shazam!

Wearing your wacky alien battle-armour actually makes less sense than adopting an indigneous 'hero' costume, if your goal is acceptance in your adopted land.

The transformation of Superman from kid's comic book hero brought to life to po-faced alien fashionista is one which I would like to see reversed but can't see happening.

16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Seeing how there are sometimes theories of there being an Earth-Krypton connection (Kryptonians being the descendants of humans transplanted to another world and experimented on, or something) his Costume still resembling something Earth-like while being alien battle armor isn't so bad.

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Why would someone born in the late 1980s in a universe without Superheroes (or at least without Superman) adopt a costume based on circus outfits from over a hundred years ago?

Where does this 'indigneous' hero outfit come from? You just get into the circular logic that Superman would wear that costume because that is the costume that Superman wore.

18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

When we saw Crowe on set he was wearing something similar

[​IMG]

He's wearing his heritage/Armor. It can also be considered really elaborate long johns.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I think the new suit is brilliant.

20. Shazam!

And whilst we're at it, how can he fly?

I just think that it's much more satisfying (and just plain nicer) on pretty much every level for 'Superman' to be the living embodiment of the things that young Clark would have perceived as 'super' when he was a child ie. comic heroes, strong men etc as opposed to wearing what appears to be Kryptonian long johns (as Samurai8472 pointed out.)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013