The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

No one is that forgiving or tolerant any more.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm late coming ot this party. Work commitments this past week prvented me from watching the episode until today. So, anyhoo, I liked it. A good and engaging stand alone episode that helps develop the Irathiens and the general atmoshpere in the town of aliens and humans trying to set aside their differences and live together with mixed results. A particular highlight in this episode was the dinner scene with the Tarr's and the MacCawley daughter, particularly Datak being a complete asshole.

Something I found odd, we see the town's legalized prostitute has a naked guy tied to her bed, yet she does not take her own clothes off, not even her shoes. Okay, since the entire time she's banging him she's off looking at the clock obviously shows she's just not into it, but still, doesn't her job demand some customer satisfaction, other than an orgasm and fetish indulgence? Or do I just not understand prostitution?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I believe Kenya was wearing an apron (which said "F*** the Cook" in one of the alien languages, according to the website) and little else. I would assume that was that customer's particular fetish.

4. Guy Gardener

Meme from Drew Carey was known to frakk while eating from a drum of beans balanced on her belly.

So it's not completely unusual.

5. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

And Westerns, The Irathians being the Native American analogue.

6. Guy Gardener

I see the Irathian's more like Mongols.

Have you taken a close look at the McCawley's?

I don't think that they're %100 Scottish.

We have to be beyond such blunt insulting metaphors by now in our story telling?

Oh?

Defiance is crap for idiots?

Never mind.

And really.

Humans en totum are the Indians.

7. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

Defiance is a western. They are Comanche/Apache stand-ins. The Earth Republic are the Federales and Nolan is the wandering stranger who picks up the badge and becomes sheriff.

8. Guy Gardener

Like I said, crap for idiots.

But as long as there's a space ship in it, I'll stomach a lot worse.

Yes, they had to have an archetypical place-holder for the classical noble savage red man but... Really? really? Dressed like children thugs, scared of modern technology, smoking drugs from a pipe, claiming to worship a hokey religion, speaking in broken english... My eyes are going to roll so hard if I see them scalp someone.

9. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The questionable racial ideas that can be found in Westerns are not removed by a few scifi trappings. Indeed, it is quite posssible to be revive the worst, most reactionary notions precisely because the scifi metaphors literalize them. No, it is not yet clear that Defiance is in the hands of people capable of perceiving and avoiding them. (Or even if they aren't counting on selling them!)

Psychic powers are a particularly tired, lame notion in SF. Even Babylon 5 and Stargate SG-1 tried to justify them. Defiance's notion of justifying them is to portray the irathients as unable to exercise the kind of self-control people like us can, less encumbered by intellect, more in touch with themselves and nature. It's the kind of thinking that found it easier to believe in Tibetans or African slaves or ancient Egyptians or gypsies were more likely to possess spiritual powers.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  10. Guy Gardener

Okay, if they're so backward and from the look of them almost retarded... Why bring them in the Arc's at all? If they won't take a flu shot, how the hell did they get put in stasis?

TPTB were perfectly happy to leave the Volge behind.

If the Irathi made the cut, you have to wonder if there were some further dip shit races back home who sucked worse than telephone Santi... OMG! This lot from the Arc's in Defiance are the telephone sanitisers!

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

SPOILERS

The game has a storyline wherein some nasty experiments were done on the Irathians that were disguised as inoculations. That's probably the real reason the other ones were wary of any other type of medical treatments, and no one wants to mention that.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Episode 4, A Well Respected Man

Okay I did not understand this at all. Now call me naive, I know a whole lot of things are going on in the world that I am not personally familiar with but WHY has Kendra duct taped her breasts to have sex? "Fun" sex according to her, so fun that she isn't even charging.

[​IMG]

I cannot even imagine pulling that off :scream:

And of course Nolan has his wrists duct taped as well which we see is very sticky and definitely duct tape and not just some future fabric that looks like duct tape but isn't.

[​IMG]

And it's not like he's tied to the bed with duct tape, he just seems to have a whole lot of it wrapped around his wrists ?!

I'm sure someone will explain it to me.

Kendra is one of the better characters, she has an interesting face and a liveliness which makes her sister look even more dull.

Nolan is basically Archer, stomping around telling people what to do with no effing idea what the real agendas are but so fat headed as to just assume he is right, always right.

Best episode so far IMO, but still so many hokey lines.

13. Guy Gardener

Stopping her boobs from flapping about either makes her seem like a boy/man or a young girl?

Although looking back on the scene, her mellons were fighting that duct tape with a stout passion... And there's no mistaking that woman for anything other than a mature and hearty woman.

The dialogue about "fun" was in context to the nature of their ongoing relationship and not a description of their then present escapade.

Are we sure that that's duct tape?

It's also possible that after an hour of doing it that there was a lot more duct tape, or other stuff applied/flowing hanging off the tape?

Are they still making tape?

That seems like an odd enterprise to make a go of it after he world ends.

Then of course if you brewing metric tons of glue, and there's no law to speak of to tell any one not to sniff it, well there actual necessary uses for glue beyond scrapbooking.

Besides to you think Marshall Dillion paid for it when Miss Kitty gave up the goods?

Or are either of theses guys too stupid to realise how valuable a pet lawman is to a madam trying to herd such rough customers?

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes it really is duct tape. You can see it clearly when Nolan unravels it and it sticks together and gets clumped.

If people are not manufacturing duct tape this seems quite wasteful. But things must be churning along somewhere because the mayor who I hate is always wearing clothes that look she just popped by the mall.

Does anyone else think the theme song sounds a bit like BSG music??

Also I realized after I posted that her name is Kenya, not Kendra.

15. Guy Gardener

"All the Major US Cities were destroyed" by the terraforming, then ten years of war.

Sure a lot of duct tape is going to buried and inaccessible, the reserve might not not be evenly spread across the country, but Defiance is a city with maybe 200 people in it.

200 people = city.

Today 200 people doesn't even = a Church mixer.

Is it just me or has 90 percent of the humans in America have to be dead for 200 people to qualify as a city?

16. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

200, I thought it was much larger as they lost 41 in the attack of the mech's. There also seems to be a lot of street traffic for only 200 both at Want Need and just sidewalk vendors. But I agree the economics of the world are hard to get a hold of. There doesn't seem to be enough transportation for a mine to do anything, no trucks or railway shown. Yet they drive around in cars and motorcycles as if they were powered by matter/anti-matter

17. Guy Gardener

200 is a guess.

I haven't seen thousands in any of the town meetings, and we're assuming every able body assembled for the big fight and that looked like dozens not hundreds, but now we find out that 4 times as many of them died as was ever seen on camera.

18. Christopher

It's by the same composer, Bear McCreary, and he has a pretty distinctive style.

19. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I was watching the opening credits to last night's episode and thinking that the show doesn't have the depth of BSG when up popped David Weddle and Bradley Thompson's names. I laughed.

But even more seriously for me, the show doesn't have the sheer acting talent on the BSG level either. None of the acting has risen above the "adequate" level, to me. Great acting can trump bland writing, but this show, like so many SyFy shows, seems to have completely ignored this very important component. The lead actor in particular has zero charisma, and isn't very interesting, and he's the lead. He's adequate. Nothing more.

But as others have pointed out, the show looks great, better than Terra Nove and more interesting, at probably half the cost. So I'll keep watching and recording for a while longer.

20. Christopher

^Whereas I'm deeply impressed by Stephanie Leonidas's acting talent, and I think Tony Curran and Jaime Murray are excellent too.