50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Atticus, Apr 2, 2013.

1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So apparently Moffat's quote about not making the episode a "fanfest" and "looking to the Future" is the official line for making it an 8th Anniversary Special.

If I was Baker I to McGann I'd refuse to take part in any of the 50th Anniversary celebrations that they might be asked to. Moffat casting a brand-new Past Doctor while giving them the Finger really sums the man up perfectly.

2. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    I keep seeing comments like this and it is silly. Just because there aren't any returning Doctors from the classic series doesn't mean that the special won't celebrate all of the show's history. There are more ways to celebrate than having returning Doctors, or does fandom lack that kind of imagination?

3. StCoop

It's nothing to do with "lack of imagination". It's to do with Respect, something Moffat seems to lack towards the people without whom he wouldn't have a series to be running into the ground through his incompetence.

This is the last chance to bring any/all of the Original Series Doctors together to celebrate their contribution. Having paintings of them appear, which seems to be what's going to happen or sticking Tom Baker's scarf on a Guest Star is worse than simply pretending the series didn't exist before 2005.

4. EliyahuQeoni

Sorry, I don't buy that. Just because the story they are choosing to tell doesn't involve the old actors doesn't mean there is any lack of respect for the old series. It just means the story they wish to tell for the anniversary doesn't require them. And you would really prefer they ignore the classic series rather than have other references to it other than the one you prefer? That is childish.

Isn't it the quality of the story that is important, not some fan check-list of things that certify that the show is showing the proper amount of respect for the old series? Once again I say, maybe we should wait to see the show before declaring what a disrespectful mess it is? Of course, I'm sure some of those here who have already made up their minds to hate it will hate it no matter what happens.

5. StCoop

I don't see having a quality story and bringing the Past Doctors back in some fashion, however briefly, as being mutually exclusive.

Sadly that seems to be a concept that the man getting paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to ruin, sorry run the Series can't seem to grasp.

6. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I do sort of agree. I actually like Moffat and his impact on Dr Who, and I know he's a huge, long-time fan of the series. So, this approach (assuming it's correct) really, really puzzles me.

It's possible to include a classic Doctor in such a way that it doesn't confuse newer fans. Not all classic Doctors need to appear. So, the notion that it's impossible to effectively include all the classic Doctors is just a red herring.

If we get a good story that is well executed, I probably won't be complaining much about the lack of a classic Doctor. But, why not do a good, well-executed story with a classic Doctor?

I'm not convinced that Hurt is a new, real Doctor, so I'm not offended by that, yet. However, if it turns out that Moffat is inventing a new Doctor rather than bringing a classic one back, that IS offensive.

Mr Awe

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Quoted for truth. I'll judge the anniversary special when I see it (and I may judge it harshly) but I'm sure as hell not going to prejudge it based on what it may/may not contain.

A good quality episode without the classic doctors is preferable to a disaster with them...of course one way or another some section of fandom will not be happy. Just read some of the comments/critisisms of The Five Doctors...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/episodeguide/fivedoctors/detail.shtml

8. Mr Awe

^ Again, including a classic Doctor is not mutually exclusive to producing a good story! There are good stories that can be told with a classic Doctor.

Most times, it's totally fine to choose to tell a story that doesn't involve any classic Doctor. However, this is the freaking 50th Anniversary. This is the time to specifically choose a story that does use a classic Doctor!

Mr Awe

9. StCoop

And why exactly are they the only two choices?

10. Mr Awe

I'd actually say that it's a lack of imagination to not be able to conceive of a good story that effectively uses a classic Doctor in such a way that won't confuse newer viewers.

Mr Awe

11. EliyahuQeoni

They're not mutually exclusive, but neither is having a quality story and not having past Doctors return. It would be cool to have some of those actors back, but not having them back doesn't automatically mean the result will be disrespectful crap. Just as having them back wouldn't automatically make it a masterpiece anniversary special.

12. Mr Awe

^ For 99% of the stories, it's totally appropriate to not have any classic Doctors appear. That's as it should be. This is a special occassion so a special story should be choosen that celebrates all of the actors who contributed to the main character!

13. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Regardless of it it turns out to be a good story or not, I'm a little disappointed no classic Doctors are appearing.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll admit I'm a bit disappointed, but at the same time just getting to see Tennant's Doc again sounds pretty damn cool.

And I don't buy that it's because Moffat has no respect for the past. He probably just thought it would be a lot more fun to watch these two Doctors go on an adventure together, than to have another special with 4 or 5 Doctors talking and bickering endlessly for an hour (which is usually what tends to happen in these things).

And as others have said, there's many more ways to pay respect to the history of the show than by just trotting out the original actors. In fact that's probably the least original thing you could do.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

There aren't, there are lots of choices, I'm just trying to keep an open mind until I see the damn thing.

16. Mr Awe

Remember, the notion that you'll have 4-5 Doctors if you open it up to classic Doctors is just a red herring. You can include just one in a major capacity. And, the bickering is only present if Moffat writes it that way. Obviously, he can write it to not include the bickering.

Including the original actors is the most honest way to celebrate their contributions.

But, I agree that Moffat does respect the classic series. That just makes it all the more puzzling to me.

Mr Awe

17. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

: /

18. StCoop

Let's hear some then.

Paintings?

A scarf on a random character?

That's really an equivalent to, you know, seeing the people?

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Fans and Moffat have two entirely different meanings for the words "Anniversary Special."

For Moffat, an "Anniversary Special" is "a special that airs on the 50th anniversary."

For fans, an "Anniversary Special" is "a special that celebrates the 50th anniversary."

I'm reminded of something that Miles and Wood wrote in the fifth volume of About Time in regards to "The Five Doctors." They called the episode the equivalent of a comic book crossover or a Star Trek convention. The story was, basically, a thin excuse for bringing all the old faces back. (Now, I should say that I enjoy "The Five Doctors" a great deal, and the story generally works for me.)

I suspect that Moffat is treating the special in the same way he approaches the Christmas specials; he has a vague tie to the date, but then goes on and does something else. (I'm not sure what "Wardrobe" and "Snowmen" had to do with Christmas, to be honest. But then, none of RTD's Christmas specials had anything to do with Christmas, either.) So I think Moffat will trot out a bunch of things from the past -- scarves, Daleks, Cybermen, etc. -- for quick cameos, and then he'll get on with just another story about the eleventh Doctor and Clara.

20. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Unfortunately, for me, it seems like it's the end of End of Time all over again. They aren't celebrating 50 years, they are celebrating just the last 8. Trotting out Rose is one thing. Then we get Freema, who is busy updating her Twitter account with pictures on the set of Martha, Mickey, and their son, from the set.

What are the odds we'll get Donna*, Amy, and Rory thrown in too, with absolutely no one from the classic series?

* I would love to see Donna again, don't get me wrong. But I would much rather have actors/characters from the classic series in the 50th special. Save Donna, Amy and the others for 2015.