Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd say it's halfway between HTV's best work and CBS-D's average work.

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Not counting Galaxy's Child, which contains some of the worst work in the whole project.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, I was disappointed with "Galaxy's Child" it was a little *too* faithful to the original crude CGI work. If I didn't know better I'd say they used the same CGI. I was expecting to be utterly wowed by the look of the CGI "Junior" and its mother. But, instead, it looked exactly the same (by and large.) Which is fine but there are some cases with this project I wish they had just gone ahead and done a TOS-R-like "perfection" of the look of the show (in particular using the 6-foot model or a CGI-recreation for the whole project rather than keeping the various iterations of the ship in so we're maintaining the 3 or 4 different looks of the ship rather than one consistent look the entire series.)

But Junior, yikes. They go all out with making the Crystaline Entity look marvelous and beautiful in "Datalore" and in "Galaxy's Child" Junior looks pretty much exactly the same?! Sigh.

The next big "effect" I can think of in the series is the destruction of the ship in "Cause and Effect" be interesting to see how that's done or if they'll just use the same crude model explosion from the original cut of the episode.

One thing is for damn-sure, though. They better fix the phaser blast coming from the torpedo tube in "Darmok." That one will NOT stand!

4. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think a lot of it comes down to the Chrystaline Entity being done by CBS-D and Junior by Modern Video. I'm not one to bash the outsourcing companies, because any improvement is better than a straight upconversion, but CBS-D really are on the top of their game with this project (unlike TOS-R, where outsourcing probably would have been better).

I'm sure Cause and Effect will be great, given that's often considered one of the more popular episodes and it's being done by CBS-D.

I may be wrong, but I thought it was unofficially confirmed (perhaps by the Okudas?) that the torpedo/phaser shot in Darmok would be fixed.

5. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

There's a shot from Cause and Effect at the end of the Season 5 trailer, I was hoping for an improvement similar to the Borg Cube explosion for BoBW but it looks like it wont happen.

6. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We've also seen a few times where fx shots in the trailers weren't the final version that was released with the final product.

7. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

A few things that are really bugging me about MV's work is the bluescreen spill and the lack of grain in certain shots where the enterprise is orbiting a planet. The Enterprise is in the foreground with grain, but the planet is pixel perfect. That stuff should never have happened.

In any case, it's passable. I'm happy CBS-D will be handling the rest of the series though.

8. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The-Numbers.com has now posted Blu-Ray sales charts für the last week of July. According to the chart the fourth season was able to sell 12,362 units for a total of $741,613 in it's first week. You can see it here: http://www.the-numbers.com/weekly-bluray-sales-chart

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that kind of bad considering what Season 1 sold in week 1 (also from the-numbers.com):

The best new release of the week was Star Trek: The Next Generation: Season One which sold 95,000 units and generated $5.73 million in revenue. This revenue was tops for the week. This is an excellent start for a TV on DVD release, especially one that's not a first-run release.

Seasons 2 and 3 didn't make it into the Top 10.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If sales continue to slide, it may put in danger the HD releases of DS9 and Voyager. How is the Enterprise release going from a sales standpoint?

10. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know of at least two friends who are waiting for the entire show to be out in order to buy them at once. Perhaps there will be a spike in sales after season 7 is out.

Besides, this isn't just about Blu-ray sales. Preparing these shows in HD will pay dividends in digital distribution. That's where the "real" money will be.

11. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Yes, but future remastering projects are so incredibly determined by current sales figures.

12. BillJ

Problem is, that it has been out for more than a year here in the States and there is still no deal for domestic TV or digital distribution.

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

TNG HD is already being shown in the UK. I think TNG HD is also being sold on itunes right now.

I imagine the American networks are waiting until all the TNG seasons are remastered before buying the rerun rights.

I personally don't see any American network having any interest in buying VOY HD reruns. TOS and TNG have the nostalgic factor going for them, VOY doesn't.

14. BillJ

The only place TNG is currently playing in the States is on BBC America. Not sure too many channels are falling all over themselves for the HD rights.

15. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

This is just personal opinion, but my intuition tells me TOS is the only "keeper" Trek in the pantheon, the only Trek that's truly entered the long term public "zeitgeist" (hate that word, can't believe I just used it).

I feel the other Trek's, even TNG, will steadily decrease in their impact and extended awareness in popular culture - DS9, VOY and ENT are probably already a long way down the hole I'm sad to say.

It's always been about Kirk, Spock and Bones (Uhura)! Probably always will be - I'm not too unhappy about that though!

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

TNG is also occasionally rerun on SyFy.

I don't believe any of the last three Trek shows are being being shown in reruns right now in the States.

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Searching TV Guide doesn't show anything except TNG reruns on BBC. That can't be comprehensive, though -- TOS is in syndication on local channels all the time. At least, it was the last time I actually spent time at someone's house where they had cable (maybe six weeks ago).

Honestly, I mostly stick to Netflix these days. It's really the only affordable option (for me).

18. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Reruns isn't going to be the only factor. There's streaming services like Netflix. Odd though, that Netflix hasn't replaced the older SD version with HD, while other programs like Hulu have. Perhaps when TNG is finalized in HD that's when networks and streaming services will offer more of TNG in HD.

As for DS9 and VOY, well, I suppose we'll find out about that sooner after TNG is finished. The last time I'm aware any of those shows aired on a network was as far as 2008 on Spike TV, and they only acquired the rights for VOY in 2007 so it was only for a year more or less that they aired them.

19. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

TOS is in syndication with MeTV, they have a Saturday night block of Sci-Fi and Fantasy shows.
    So aside from that and TNG on BBC America there is no other regular national syndication of Trek in the USA right now. Which is a huge shame, in the late-90s to early-2000s Trek was easily available on TV.

As you pointed out, the wide availability of Trek on streaming services (Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu all have Trek) may be part of the reason why we don't see it on linear TV much right now.

20. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I think TNG still has some public awareness, but, yeah, the public have all but forgotten the others.