On Board the USS Enterprise

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by elric428, Jan 6, 2013.

1. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

So what technology do you want? A downloadable version from "the iCloud"?

A thumbdrive?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Check the earlier posts in this thread -- we've already discussed possible alternative delivery methods.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

A lot of people still use CD-ROMs, though. I've seen a few books recently with a thumbdrive attached and they make a very clumsy package for bookshops and libraries to handle. In my school library, we've received a few thumbdrives to catalogue - and it's really hard to put them into circulation.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Which is why I had the thought that an SD card would be an easier thing to enclose in a book. They aren't much thicker than CDs.

6. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Y'all want some cheese with your whine? Sheesh.

Hey, I hear they're bringing back vinyl records. I bet nobody willl buy that 100 year old tech. :lol:

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm most interested in the book. I could care less about the CD-Rom. I'm not complaining either. Just being honest.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Cetacean Ops? Please tell me you did Mike Okuda and Tobias Richter...

RAMA

9. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmm, I've been looking at the preview pics over on Trekcore, and I'm just not feeling it ... Tobias' space stuff is usually great, but this indoor CG stuff just doesn't look professional quality to me. I guess I'll wait for what you guys think about the text.

BTW, before Perpetual ran out of money and sold their Star Trek Online license to Cryptic, they had contracted Andrew Probert to design new, additional (vs. the show) Galaxy-class interiors for their version of the game. Mr. Probert later put the concept art he did for them on his website. There was some really neat stuff in there, I would have loved to see CG renders of that material. Sadly it no longer seems to be online now - does anyone have a backup?

Edit: Oh look, here's some of it: http://ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/the-galaxy-class-medical-deck-that-could-have-been/

10. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Some media needs to be enclosed for there are those of us without the allotment of 10's of GBs a month.
    I am looking at the book. Looks all right but the cg versus clips stands out. Maybe the CD work is different.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  11. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I posted one of those on my blog, best of the bunch, cetacean ops! TrekCore has a gallery with them all though. There were some really nice ideas in those designs. I love the giant head in the archaeology department!

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    Surprised to see it in the mail last night!

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Im still hoping its on the CDROM..havent looked yet.

14. Smitty

Smitty Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just got it, initial impression is not that high. CD-ROM very limited in my opinion. I see why they used a CD-ROM, not much content (102 MB). The authors are major authorities in Star Trek stuff such as this, I think it could have been more. I will look deeper into the book later.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the tour are you actually walking around the ship or is it just videos and/or stills?

16. Smitty

Smitty Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Stationary sit and spins with hot spots to other POV within a given area. Small number of areas as well. No videos. Implemented using FlashPanoramic and html. Which means you can move it off CD to your local.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meh. Not really interested then.

18. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Recreating in CGI only what we've seen before and existed in real life is unforgivable. We had this with the Interactive Technical Manual -- the exam same sets -- because they had real photography of the actual sets. Now they are doing the same thing with CGI replicas. Why? Use CGI to show us what we didn't see and what didn't exist. The main shuttlebay, Cetacean Ops, the malls and lounges that Probert envisioned, etc.

19. Pixel

Pixel Commander Red Shirt