The music of Trek; what stays with you?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Chrisisall, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

TOS music, even though recycled at times, is my favourite stuff (Courage. Steiner & guys, thanks!). Goldsmith's score for TMP & STV was excellent. Most seasons of other Trek TV series got a big *yawn* out of me for the most part. Horner lent an energy to STII & III that I just can't get out of my head. Rosenman sleepwalked thru IV, but the movie survived it. Cliff Eidelman's work on VI was pretty good. Did Generations even have music? I can't remember.:devil: Goldsmith took care of the next few movies, happily.
    I liked the bold new sound on JJ's movie- I think Michael Giacchino is a definite talent- though I wish I'd heard more classic themes in it.

Your takes on this subject?

2. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

The only music on Trek that ever stayed with me was the song they played in the Phoenix; Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf. Fantastic song, that. Trek should have more songs like that.

3. Chrisisall

I was always partial to "I hate you" from STIV myself.

4. pureTREKKER

pureTREKKER Lieutenant Red Shirt

The Voyager theme. I love the way it sounds, and it stays in your mind since it has a simple tune.

5. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

I always thought the music could be a lit more varied then what we usually got; there was some classical and jazz but not much else. Although classical has it's place; I honestly believe the big battle in DS9 could have gained something when played with no sound, in slow-motion and with something like Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata on the background. Much more emotional that way.

6. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

♬ ♬ Lifeforms, you tiny little lifeforms, you precious little lifeforms, where are you? ♬ ♬

I don’t understand how that wasn’t nominated for an Oscar and at least two Grammys.

7. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The end credits music from the last 3 TNG movies stay with me. And the opening piece for First Contact. Some fantastic music there. There are bits I like from TNG and DS9, but none of it really sticks with me in the same way.

8. Chrisisall

BWAHAAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAH!! Good one!:guffaw:

9. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

It was hard for me to get the voyager theme out of my head even though it was slow and lumbering. Horner's music for Battle Beyond the Stars and Glory is very haunting. I love his fanfares - exciting stuff that stays with you. TOS music was a miracle.

10. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

The Seige of AR558 theme

11. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Klingon music from TMP still resonates, these 30 years later.

I also often hear the fight music from Amok Time in my head whenever I see a boxing match on TV.

12. Chrisisall

Wheet-Cha! (sp-?)
    Me too, LOL. It's ingrained in my DNA- my SON even says he can't see Kirk fighting without hearing it (STIII needed it!!!).

13. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

The next generation and TOS theme

14. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

*snort*:lol:

Before the new movie came out i often had the Generations theme going through my head...that or the First Contact theme. But since getting the Star Trek soundtrack, thats pretty much taken up residence in there.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The TOS music (not the corny title music but everything else), as well as the DS9 and VOY title themes.