New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Booji, May 20, 2013.

1. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Yeah, very interesting. Thanks for that! Kind of answers my questions in the other thread about how dark this series might be. Based on the interview, it looks like it's going to be more light-hearted and adventure driven than TCW, more like the OT (both in terms of style and content), but will still leave room for darker moments when the story calls for it. That seems reasonable to me.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    And there should be a difference in tone. The Dark Times (Imperial Era) wasn't a period of open galactic warfare, so each episode doesn't have to be about some grand armed struggle and bloodbath with white-armored soldiers falling left and right. The Dark Times were about an underground resistance forming and launching its first strikes against the Emperor's tyranny, not widespread interstellar carnage. Stories should be lighter for the most part, although I'm sure any scripts expanding upon the Jedi Purge will have their justifiably dark moments since we're dealing with the summary executions of the Empire's enemies at the hands of dark forces.

The time frame alone should mean that Rebels won't nor should it be another TCW.

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that interview has made me really confident in the show. I just wish I wasn't going to have to wait for the damn thing to come out on DVD.

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

For me, cartoons and waiting for DVDs generally go hand-in-hand.

6. cooleddie74

At least with the Cartoon Network I could catch many episodes of The Clone Wars when they originally aired, and even when the remarkably sophisticated and dark series was dispatched to the nether region of Saturday mornings it was accessible. With Disney XD I don't have a subscription and I'm not planning on getting one just to watch one half-hour show, so I'll be seeing most episodes of the new series online on one website or another.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

My "Kids On Demand" cable channel includes some programming from channels I don't actually subscribe to. I'm not sure if DXD would be one of them, but you could check it out.

8. cooleddie74

I'll look into that. Thanks for the suggestion. I do believe I have a "Kids On Demand" channel.

9. safarial

safarial Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I would be very surprised if we got Mara and Ben and Jacen and Jaina in the movies. I fully expect them to go with different names and characters. After all only a few thousand people have read the novels compared to the millions and millions of people who have seen the movies and have no idea the books even exist.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, dear... they're using "ST" to stand for "Sequel Trilogy?" That's going to be very confusing, given that it already stands for Star Trek.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Let's call it AP, for After Party.

13. cooleddie74

ST could be confusing on boards like this, though I'm sure most would eventually adjust to seeing it and understanding the context of the post and discussion. "SqT" could be used, though it's not two letters like the abbreviations for the two previous trilogies.

PT
    OT
    SqT

It's not perfect, but I'd use it.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

DT - Disney Trilogy

It will be interesting to see what convention ends up dominant with time.

15. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

How many people would have noticed them renaming Pepper Potts, or really gave a fig who Arnim Zola was, or could tell Maria Hill from Natasha Romanov? There's no special reason to think they will use Mara etc., but then... no reason to think they won't if it fits the story they're trying to tell. For the people who've never read a Star Wars book, it'll be exactly the same - "Oh look, Luke's got a wife named ___ and a kid named ___; Han and Leia got married and have twins."

16. cooleddie74

You'd be surprised how much name recognition Mara Jade's earned over the last twenty years. Never underestimate the audience. We and they prove the doubters wrong frequently.

17. Greylock Crescent

Then again, there's no real reason to not call Luke's wife Mara Jade, especially if she's written similarly to what we've seen from the EU so far. If she's written as an entirely different character - then yeah, best to give her another name.

As for what to call the new films... ST works for me, since context will help differentiate between Trek and Wars. Though, I wouldn't be surprised to see DT take hold, either.

18. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear - that's my point. Why not call her Mara Jade, especially if she's a sarcastic ass-kicker (and why wouldn't she be?)?

19. Greylock Crescent

Ah, my mistake then! But yeah ... good point. The general audience won't care either way, so why not give the hardcore/EU Star Wars fans something to talk about? Abrams certainly had no reservation using a classic Trek character in Khan. Mara Jade isn't a film-character, but it's almost impossible to be a big Star Wars fan and not have at least heard her name. You don't really lose anything using her name, and by using it, you give the movie an immediate connection for Star Wars fans. Not that they need it with The Big Three reprising their roles ... but it's still a bonus.

20. cooleddie74

Heck, I know who Nom Anor is. I have his action figure. I imagine a lot of us could recognize characters from the books, graphic novels and video games even if Average Joe Q. Moviegoer wouldn't, but then Trek mentioned Admiral Archer's beagle, talked about Melvaran mud fleas and threw a graphic of "Dr. Philip Boyce" on a Starfleet sickbay readout screen, so it's common for elements only more devoted and hardcore fans to recognize to be thrown into films like these.