Social Networking - Crime fighting machine!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Timofnine, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

I was unfortunate enough to have my car stolen three nights ago. I woke up in the morning for work as usual, got my laptop, files and car keys and stepped out of my front door - only to find that my car was no longer there. It took a minute or two to sink in... had I left it at my sisters down the road and forgotten? Did I park it around the corner? *checks around street corner for my car like an idiot* but Nope, some thieving tw*t has actually burgled your house and stolen your car keys Timofnine!

Anyway, I reported the incident to the police and my insurance company and a workmate came to pick me up and take me to work.

And then nothing...

The police said that my type of car is sought after for spare parts and it was probably a planned robbery - that I'll never see the car again.

But then my sister decided to post a picture of my car, it's registration and about what had happened on to Facebook and asked her friends to share... after going viral amongst my sisters friends and friends of friends, somebody messaged my sister telling her that they know where my car is, and have reported it to the police after seeing her post.

As a result, the car has now been recovered by the police and is now in a police compound with forensics. So it looks like I got my car back! :p

The power of facebook huh? :D

Has anyone else had anything similar happen to them? I see viral pleas and stolen/lost/missing posts all of the time - next time I see one though, I will most definitely be clicking the share button! :D

2. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad your car was found so quickly. :bolian: I know that disconcerting feeling of knowing your car had been parked right there.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure if I should say Great story or lucky you. I'm glad things worked out in the end and nice to see facebook serving another purpose.