Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Never realized the Anticans popped up again in so many episodes. Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I disagree. It was a time-saver, I'm sure, just to light up everything and be done with it, but the more dynamic lighting of the early seasons is going to make the first couple years look far superior in HD to the later seasons. At least, IMO, judging from the sampler DVD.

3. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

It's truly ironic, but I also believe that this is what will happen. But I'm sceptical if the changes in lighting were only undertaken to save a bit of time. How much did a TNG episode cost back in the day, was it 2 million USD? For that kind of money I'm sure they would find the time to adjust the lighting. I suspect it was more likely a misguided creative decision.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

After you get over the enhanced picture quality you start to notice some other things.

The packaging seems rather cheap and no frills. There is no listing of episodes and features either on the discs themselves or in a handy little booklet. The casing is a basic, bare bones plastic holder. And this on top of the sloppy handling of the audio issues. And why do I have to choose a language whenever I pop in a disc? Shouldn't English be the default and you can choose Languages on a menu if you want something else?

Good thing Amazon dropped their price.

5. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

I don't really care about the packaging. Always found the clunky boxes we got with the original DVD release rather cumbersome. Traveling with my Star Trek DVD collection was rather impractical that way. So if anything this is an improvement regarding ease of use. Also, I'm not sure about the language selection? When I put the discs into my player I get asked if I want to resume at the last point and it takes me to the main menu. So yes I need to select English on first insertion but that's always been the case with Star Trek DVDs/Blu-rays.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I would have appreciated a small booklet telling me what episodes are on which disc or a listing of episodes on the disc cover itself. Getting neither is really cheap as I have to insert a disc to before I can know what's on it. The only certainties are the first three episodes on Disc 1 and the last episodes on the last disc. Anything else is guesswork because I don't know the order of the episodes by heart.

7. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

You don't have the episode listings on the inside cover, like on the UK release? That does seem a bit cheap.

I don't like the plain print on the discs themselves, and I wish I didn't have to skip or sit through the language selection and CBS and DTS logos to get to the main menu every time, but I'll live with it.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Damn, I just noticed that. Thanks for mentioning it. I completely missed it. Still, it seems very much an afterthought and I wonder how many other people missed it.

9. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I prefer the simpler case for this set. However the lack of episode titles on the disc annoys me, as I have to remove Disc 1 if I want to look at the episode listing.

Having to select English and sit through the CBS logo is annoying as well.

I also dislike the change of the Copyright and removal of the Paramount logo at the end of the episodes. I understand CBS remastered the show, but it was Paramount who made it and their logo should have stayed, I feel like the episodes were violated by its removal.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, the packaging leaves a LOT to be desired.

And yeah the episode listing on the inside cover seems like an after thought and it's still not easy to read since you first have to remove Disc 1 to see it and even then the plastic forms of the case itself makes it hard to fully read the listing(s.) Would it have been that hard for each disc to have a label on it listing the episodes?

I sort of like the DVD packaging it feels large and grand, exactly what it should be for this series. Though smaller packaging of the BD is nice it just feels... cheap and like and after thought.

And, yeah, choosing a language when loading up each disc is annoying. The intro to and menu itself is bland with most of the screen being empty. Even when you go to episode selection the episode preview is a small, still, photo from the episode? Why not when highlighting an episode have a full-video going on in the VAST OPEN SPACE of the menu screen?!

11. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Who really cares about that?
    The important stuff is on the Discs.

12. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's true: The DVD menus have a lot more creativity in them than the Blu-Rays. And the packaging of the silver boxes with the DVDs looks still awesome. :)

13. Trekker4747

You mean like audio issues? ;)

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

While I can appreciate the enhanced viewing experience the rest feels like a rush job. I really don't mind the smaller packaging, but the lack of episode listings in a handy booklet or on the disc labels themselves is annoying.

15. Trekker4747

The smaller packaging, yeah, isn't a big deal but sort of just feels more "rushed" than most other TV series sets. But the complete lack of a decent episode guide sticks out terribly.

16. davejames

Hide and Q is actually a much stronger episode than I remember. The scenes between Picard and Q, and Riker and Q, are really well written, it's a lot of fun watching Riker strut around the bridge (and talk down to Picard) as a member of the Q, and there's some genuinely touching moments like the death of the girl and Data refusing to let Riker make him human as part of his "gift."

The only thing that really drags it down is that awful, cheesy alien planet.

And I suppose they do rush through the Riker storyline a little too fast. He seems corrupted way too quickly, and there's probably a lot more stuff they could have done with the idea. Maybe it could have benefited from being a two-parter.

17. davejames

I agree with the other complaints, but I far prefer the simpler, straightforward menus on the blu-rays.

Those over-elaborate menus on the Trek DVDs, with all the animation and graphics and sub-menus, always annoyed the hell out of me. And today they look cheesier than ever.

18. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Good observation Dave, I must admit I did not notice either. Looks like the Selay got a few more appearances too. After "Lonely Among Us", the Selay appeared in two more episodes, namely in "Ménage à Troi" and in "Tapestry".

19. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Compared to what sets. I own about 15 different tv shows on Blu-Ray, and that is standard practice. None come with inserts, episode listing are on the inside covers.

In fact its that way for films as well.

I haven't seen the type of material you are talking about since moving to the Blu-Ray format 3 years ago.

I think its only DVD's that I have ever had little booklets included, and some of those an episode listings on them (but not many), and of course many of those came with more varied designs. But for the most part I hated those designs. I hated the Modern Trek DVD releases as they were awful. Hard to access, hard to store, just awful.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  20. Trekker4747

TNG is the only series I have on BD so far. (And probably ever.) And the episode listing just disappointed me. Again, if not a booklet or slip it should have at least been printed on the discs as the inside-cover listing is only readable when the 1st disc is removed and even then it's difficult.