"Hi Christopher, I'm Nero"

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Docbrown777, May 11, 2009.

1. Trilliam

Trilliam Captain Captain

roflol

2. martin

martin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Pissed off miner, is this a stab at us all being pissed off at bankers...

Hello Fred (the shred)... Stabbed in the Chest!!!!

3. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

YES, and more: As a Romulan, he might be significantly older than Pike or any other human he would come across, for that matter. And, as you mentioned, he had 25 years to sit and wait. I'm a bit concerned about what he was doing in that time (like, does it have anything to do with why the Klingons have "warbirds") but I'll bet a good part of it was spent researching the command crew of the NCC-1701 - maybe, although not necessarily for the validity of what I'm putting forward, even including holodeck time. He spoke to Pike like that because he felt like he knew him.

4. I thought he was mocking human language. The same way that someone might condescend to a southerner by going out of his way to drawl a "y'all"

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I did think it was pretty funny. Nero seemed to be laid back about things when they were going according to plan. He only got nasty when it started falling apart.

6. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

When I first heard the line for some reason I thought of the Joker in Dark Knight.

He's not a military officer, he's not the type to let out a huge dramatic speech, he's a batshit crazy miner. Works for me.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It has grown on me because it is so picturesquely the "banality of evil". A true sociopath. I like how he veers from this laid back weirdness to losing control in a second.

I think they wanted something different from the classy mastermind villain. I do think he's too much of a thug but in some ways that line alone redeems the character from being only a thug.

8. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't bother me because after all, this a guy who has seen his entire world destroyed, they've been waiting patiently for 25 years to get their revenge so its not too much of a stretch to think Nero has gone a little loopy.

9. TrekGuide.com

TrekGuide.com Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Exactly. He's just a laborer who operates heavy equipment, not a military officer.

Imagine if some bulldozer operator from New Jersey drove through the wall of Osama bin Laden's hut. Would he say, "Greetings, Mr. bin Laden. I represent the United States of America," or would it be more in character for him to say, "Hi, Osama. I'm Vinnie. Let's talk"?

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved it too. Yeah, at the Friday night showing a lot of people laughed. Bana was great in this.

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I was just about to add that. His delivery does remind me of Heath Ledger's Joker.

12. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

I loved that line. It made the villain seem more real. Not every villain is an evil mastermind all of the time, you know. :D

13. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    ^ That's what I meant. He was sort of down-to-earth. That makes it easier to understand him, perceive him as a person.

14. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perfect. And perfect because it was so totally unexpected. :lol:

15. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thirded. Specifically, the scene in the hospital when the Joker is dressed up as a nurse and sits down next to Harvey Dent.

"Hiiii"

16. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

AHA! Since posting that I've had that line in my head and it was annoying the hell out of me as I couldn't place it in the film. :lol:

I was close to watching DK again just to settle that in my head.

17. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

why do you say that? what exactly is Nero's "character", in your estimate? enlighten me, please.

18. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I saw the movie a second time and Nero's line sounded a little more ordinary. He was just being frank. There wasn't much more to it. I guess it was so ear-catching because it wasn't formal or stilted like a lot of other lines like this one from previous movies/episodes.

19. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

"banality". Bana. I ... see what you did there.

:bolian:

20. 32JaX

32JaX Lieutenant Red Shirt

I thought it was a great delivery and was meant to get a laugh. Which it did in both audiences I watched it with.