What was wrong with the TMP uniforms?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by dswynne1, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spock's outfit with a collar looked ok. I'd be interested to see a TMP version that had a TWoK type jacket with shoulder pads (instead of a pyjama top) using the the TMP colour scheme and ordinary boots. It would probably look like a pastel version of an imperial uniform from Star Wars.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  2. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I think my preference for "movie" uniforms would have been the tops from the two-piece TMP movies, with a slightly more vibrant color palette, combined with black pants/separate shoes boots (which occurs to me would probably look like the pants/boots from the TNG S3-7 uniforms).

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked the monster maroons, but they'd be even better in black.

4. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This. Those were the only two good looking uniforms of the bunch.
    We were used to the colorful gold, blue, red and green uniforms from TOS, and the 180 degree shift in the color pallatte to grey, tan and brown, plus the weird boots and the monitor-thing (and McCoy's disco medallion) was just unappealing to me.

5. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Back in the 1980s, I thought they'd look good in grey, I guess sort of predicting the FC uniforms.

I'd like the 2-6 coats more if they were a little less busy and had any sense of continuity with what came before - say using the traditional stripes to indicate rank instead of the out-of-nowhere pins.

6. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mind, the traditional stripes would have seriously constrained camera angles or else given away the punchline of the opening scene.

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

They weren't exactly out of nowhere. There was a correlation between those pins and the TOS sleeve stripes with the ranks of lieutenant, commander, and captain.

8. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

I liked Kirk's Adirmal uniform at the beginning of the movie. And I liked the addition of the shoulder epaulets on most of the uniforms. I always thought the TMP uniforms were just a few tweaks away from being really good.

9. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was curious how the movie colors would have looked back in the day. This the only one I've finished thus far...

[​IMG]

10. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

11. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Yeesh. Just doesn't look right. Lose the belt buckle, bring back black trousers and three primary colors (gold, blue, red) and I think they would have made fine movie versions of the TOS uniforms. But maybe the uniforms as they are are perfect for the film, reflecting on how sterile everything looked and felt.

12. LMFAOschwarz

It is weird...however I wonder if that's just based on the familiarity of the original colors or something else?

[​IMG]

All I know is working on these images bugs my eyes out. :crazy:
    Playing around with the color saturation and intensity of the base image gets to the point where n:wtf:thing looks right, and I have to step away and let my eyes readjust to the real world, then come back and continue!

13. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Might be just that, being too familiar with what they should look like. Other stuff that looks awkward to me are Spock wearing a gold shirt in the second pilot and Riker without a beard.

14. LMFAOschwarz

It's funny how looking back on it, it makes Riker seem almost like an entirely different person!

Beards are funny: there are those who can grow them, and it's somehow hardly noticeable. I have a brother like that, it just doesn't register as being there or not. With some other people, it stands out like a Groucho Marx disguise!

While I'm here, Mr. Python, here's another twist to the familiar...
    [​IMG]

15. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks, I've never seen that. Those are indeed very reminiscent of TMP.

16. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i realy appreciate any other versions people have of what the uniforms COULD or OUGHT to have looked like...talking about it is good...but the visuals help A LOT!

Thanks for those who have posted so far

17. LMFAOschwarz

I've got some more in the pipeline...anything in particular interest you?

18. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks so much!

Hmmm...maybe the TMP uniforms with either TOS colors, or some other, more colorful scheme?

19. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Late to the game here. :)

I liked the first uniform we saw Admiral Kirk in.
    Most of the rest of the uniforms looked like (as Klingons would put it) "a child's uniform".

But, that didn't stop me from enjoying the movie.

Best uniform goes to the probe-Ilia. :D

20. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Probe Ilia didn't have a uniform. Censorship meant Kirk had to give her the robe, unfortunately. :devil: