Redundancy?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by BorgLady, Aug 14, 2010.

1. BorgLady

BorgLady Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm writting a fanfic consisting of a child born of the Voyager crew, the daughter of Chakotay and Seven of Nine in a post-"Endgame" senario.

When considering names for the infant, I had thought of the name "Elizabeth," to be chosen by both parents to honor Admiral Kathryn "Elizabeth" Janeway. But as I was watching a few Enterprise episodes, I reencountered the episodes "Demons" and "Terra Prime." The focus of both episodes is the beloved Elizabeth, the daughter and binary clone of Trip and T'Pol.

I am concerned about giving the name Elizabeth to Chakotay and Seven's daughter. I wonder if it would be redundant, as the name is already in use by another beloved character.

Please let me know how you feel about this name, and give any suggestions you have as to another name you feel would fit applicably.

(All comments on this topic are welcome, but please no hate comments if you are a more traditionalistic "JC" fan. I am simply writting for the joy and pleasure of exploring the Trek universe.)

2. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it matters, and you can differentiate "your" Elizabeth from the "other" one by giving her a nickname. Lizzie, Liz, Beth, Bette etc.

3. BorgLady

Thank you, JanewayRluz!. I enjoy the name Elizabeth, as it's a classic and timeless name as used for most Human characters in true Trek fashion, and was hoping no one would see it as redundant. I was also considering using the respelling of the name- "Elisabeth"- as well. Thank you for responding :)

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been told that Chakoteya is the female approximation or Chakotay.

3 of 3 would be an accurate Borg designation.

Anika's actual real mother's name was Erin.

5. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the story's a good one, you'll make "Elizabeth" your own, no matter where else it's been used. If that's the name that's speaking to you, that's the one you should use. And if you find it doesn't work, well, that's what revisions, for.

6. BorgLady

Thank you to all who've responded! Your comments have been very helpful, and I truely appreciate them.

I have decided to keep the name "Elizabeth" for my character because, as Shatnertage wrote, the name spoke to me; and now, the more I write for Elizabeth, the more she becomes her own entity.

I also know that Seven of Nine's biological mother was named was Erin Hansen; but as the show progressed and Seven began to develop her own individuality and eventually emotions, she expressed a certain disappointment and animosity towards her parents for putting her in danger as a child, and for her eventual assimilation. Although Seven willl have learned to forgive her parents for their choices, I don't see her naming her child after them.

I do, however, see her chosing a name which would honor someone or some life-altering event as the case my be. I believe she would be moving past the notion that "designations are irrelevent" to the idea of "designations should have meaning." And of all the individuals close her, Kathryn Janeway would be the most likely person she would wish to honor, as it was Janeway who had liberated her, and who had guided her closely afterwards, followed closely by The Doctor, had the child been a male of course.