PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Isn't the villain a *lot* more likely to be
    Tobias Vaughn
    ?

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn, I didn't even think of him! That would make a lot of sense.

3. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which would clash with a New Adventure... actually, it needn't, thinking about it, if the plot went the right way.

4. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Actually, I'm getting a distinctly Scrappy-Doo/Jason Todd/Syndrome vibe off of this villain. I'm pretty sure I know who it is. Look at his confrontation with Five again, and you'll see it...

"He's an old friend of yours. Or should I say...companion?" - The Master, Part 7

Hope you don't mind The Boy Who Time Forgot being clashed with instead.

5. Allyn Gibson

Yeah, there's someone at Gallifrey Base who is adamant that the villain is...

Adric

...and has been certain since the beginning.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also remember, in the Seventh Doctor issue the Master said the Hooded Villain will be the Doctor's companion in the future. I haven't checked out the Eighth Doctor issue, though before the Seventh with that revelation about him I had been considering him to be Abslom Daak based on the fact that in the Fifth Doctor issue he had Dalek wreckage in his lair.

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Well, if they're purely going by TV characters that narrows it down to:

Chang Lee
    Mickey
    Adam
    Captain Jack
    arguably Wilf
    Rory

As they're the only male companions in Seven's future

Of which choices it'd be somewhat meta and trolling of the fanbase if it turned out to be Adam, years after all the "Adam is Davros/the Master/The Rani/the Terrible Zodin/etc" bollocks that used to fill up the fora

8. Allyn Gibson

I doubt the Tiptons are that aware of Doctor Who fandom's bugaboos. :)

9. Nightowl1701

Actually, what the Master said (after that 'companion' line) went like this:

SEVEN: I have no idea what you're talking about.
    MASTER: Of course not, because you haven't met him...yet! HAHAHAHA!!

Though I do see how Wormhole got his interpretation of the scene, mine was that the Doctor, when he does finally see the Hooded Villain unmasked, will instantly know who it is and understand why he's being targeted.

And in Eight's confrontation with him, while he's still hooded and disguised, Eight does say "I feel like I should remember you, but..." and correctly surmises HV put his trust in him at some point, and the Doctor let him down. "Doctor! You surprise me! A note of self-awareness at last? Perhaps even culpability?" But he doesn't reveal himself yet - the Doctor's "not suffered nearly enough."

10. The Wormhole

I've heard Adam suggested before, but my problem is that he's one of the companions that the Hooded Villain has displayed on his computer screen in issue 1, casting doubt that it could be him. Same goes for Mickey and Rory.

11. Nightowl1701

Bumping up now that Issue #9 is out...

Wow. I am pleasantly surprised, and glad my guess was off. I did not see that coming. :D Allyn, I'm afraid the Tiptons proved you wrong - they are meta and trolling as hell. :rofl:

12. Allyn Gibson

I'm not getting my copy until tomorrow. :)

And if I didn't guess correctly on a Tipton story, then I'll be pleasantly surprised after how predictable Assimilation2 was.

13. The Wormhole

Yeah, I have to wait to get my copy too. But I won't object to having whatever this big spoiler is posted. Spoiler coded of course.

14. Nightowl1701

All right, if you're sure you want to know...

NINE: (whisper) Oh no...
    ADAM: (a now elderly man under the robe and hood) Rose. Doctor. You do remember me. I'm flattered. But then, you've been remembering me more and more, haven't you Doctor? The closer I got to the incarnation in which you actually met me, the harder it was for me to continue clouding your mind.
    NINE: Yes. I couldn't remember everything you'd done. Who you were. But I knew somethin' bad was coming. I could feel it, like a buzz in the back of my head. I just didn't know what.

ADAM: When you invited me along after the Dalek attacked Van Statten's vault, you promised I'd see the universe. So I made one mistake! You never even gave me a chance to make amends - you just left me there, helpless!! Left me with a hole in my skull that opens up at the snap of a finger.... my mother saw it by accident, you know. I tried to convince her she imagined it, but... not long after that, she passed away. Brain embolism. All I could think was, "what could I have done with all that information from the future?" I could have saved her... I was trapped. Trapped in the most meaningless, mundane life I could make for myself, out of the sheer terror of being discovered. A life of no import. A life without meaning. A life not worth living.

ADAM: (takes Rose, stomps a fallen Nine HARD in the face, leaving him a bloody pulp) I've lived this moment over and over, with your past selves. But there's no one I hate as much as you.

15. The Wormhole

So the Hooded Villain is Adam? Strange, given Adam was one of the companions displayed on the monitor screen in issue 1. Red herring, obviously.

16. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A rather brilliant twist, though. And rather unexpected, IMO.

17. Allyn Gibson

Gotta be honest. The villain here has a point.

18. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished reading #9. I've gotten so used to spotting twists in fiction well in advance that l'd almost forgotten what it's like to be genuinely surprised.

Doesn't make up for the Trek crossover, though.

19. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

I think i honestly said "really..." when it was revealed to be who it is.

20. Allyn Gibson

The final issue came out yesterday.

Eleven Doctors and an uncountable number of companions leap into battle against Adam, the Ainley Master, and the Autons.

What results is panel after panel of Doctors and companions, some getting a line of dialogue, some not. The resolution doesn't have a lot to do with the Doctors or the companions; the post-2005 Doctors and Rose, for obvious reasons, get the most facetime (because they know Adam), there's betrayal and counter-betrayal, and ultimately the story rests on Adam's decisions.

The final page is baffling. It's unearned. And, frankly, there really needs to be an across-the-board mindwipe of everyone, Rose especially.

On the plus side, we got an eleven Doctors story. On the minus side, it wasn't very good and I'm still not clear that the Tiptons have ever watched Doctor Who.