Just started New Frontier

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by kitik, Nov 18, 2013.

1. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Are there any more New Frontier books coming? I thought the series was over. I hope we get more of them, and that the characters show up in more non NF books.

2. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it seems like the current editor is ignoring Peter David, as he (according to PAD) hasn't answered his inquiries for the last two years or so.

3. borgboy

Wow. How can you be a Trek editor and not even respond to PAD's calls. The man is a Trek Lit legend. I'm seriously appalled by that.

4. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ignoring maybe was the wrong choice of words, but at least they haven't given him a straight answer as far back as before the release of BMB. From an startrek.com interview with PAD around the release of BMB:

And I seem to remember that his answers to questions about New Frontier still pointed in the same direction after that.

5. borgboy

That's better than being outright ignored, but still disappointing if the series truly ends this way. I wonder if the books sales have grown weaker and that there is believed to be no market for future books? If the series isn't going to continue properly, then I'd at least like the characters to continue on as supporting characters thru the line.

6. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is the short story compilation worth picking up? It's one of the only NF books I don't have yet (waiting to get them all before I start reading).

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yes indeed! Wonderful, quirky little back stories of all the characters. Can be read at any time.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

But I would at least hold the last story until after you've read the Excalibur trilogy.

9. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The David Mack story is is probably the funniest Star Trek story I've read. Definitely my favorite story in the book. There were a couple stories I had to force my way through to the end but the rest were pretty good. I also like the way the the anthology was set up. In order to give Peter David the most amount of freedom to continue series he saw fit, all the stories here are prequels with each writer writing a story for a different NF character.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not all of the stories. Peter David's story at the end takes place between Excalibur: Restoration, and Gateways: Cold Wars.