Voyager's scale...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Unimatrix Zero, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Unimatrix Zero

Unimatrix Zero Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have always had a problem imagining Voyager's scale-to-human...I felt that the program never got it right!

I used to look at the windows during the interior scenes which would arch way over the heads of the characters and thought the rooms were the right size... but could not quite equate the scale with the outdoor shots and especially during the landing episodes, such as The 37s, Demon and Nightingale. (the latter episode features a "refurb" where you see the crew standing on the nacelles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr0l6hWx15o

For example, the "saucer" part of the ship seems way too slanted for people to stand up in!

2. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought this was going to be some kind of joke about cast members gaining weight because of all of that delicious pot roast.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Whatever looks good" dictates scenes like that. The opening zoom-in shot of Nemesis has Romulans wandering around outside that are taller than the senate doors. The Enterprise in the shipyard scene of STXI is less than half the size it is in the rest of the movie and in the "Under Construction" teaser trailer... and even those people walking on the hull are too big relative to the bridge window and saucer rim decks visible.

And then there's Voyager's magic shuttlebay, which is bigger on the inside to begin with, and then more than doubles in size for "Drive"

And then (again) there's the fact that NO Trek ship quite works at their official size (see the "Ship sizes: All lies!" thread in Tech for more)

4. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    Let's not forget about the magical size-changing Defiant. :)