Thread subscriptions.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by trekkiedane, Aug 10, 2010.

1. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

I have just added my thousandth thread subscription :eek:
    This thread is my number 1001!

Do you subscribe to threads?

How many?

What kind of notification do you prefer?
    And: do you alternate methods of notification based on the thread type?

I usually opt for immediate e-mail notification -that way I rarely miss a question or remark pointed at myself or my posts -for more than a few minutes.

2. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I've never done it. Maybe I should start.
    Wouldn't make a big difference as nobody pays much attention to me around here anyway!

3. trekkiedane

^Without my immediate notification I wouldn't have been able to reply to you this fast - I'm still in the process of working my way through new threads and posts since I went to bed last night :p

Not that I have any really serious comment to your post though... maybe this: do try it! -I find it rather useful.

4. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I never worked out what it was for.

5. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

I tried it with a couple of threads, but my email inbox got filling up with loads of messages I never use. I use this place much more often than my email anyway.

6. trekkiedane

^These days you only get a mail when something is posted the first time after you've been to the thread -not (as it used to be) every time something is posted.
    -saves a lot of inbox-room :)

I have an e-mail account for just this sort of thing: all notifications from all the boards I frequent (most of them A LOT less than this place) and since I rarely go into the TV/media forum (say) I like knowing when something happens in the threads I do follow...

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I subscribe to nothing. I don't see the point.

8. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

never subscribed yet don't see the point

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I subscribe threads I start that I know I'm going to be posting in a lot... which is 5 I think. No e-mail notifications though.

10. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

Easy to explain : the thread you know where (yeah, the one that might cause the end of the world) is the only thread I have subscribed to because this way it's easier to find it with the "Quick Links" option.

11. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I haven't subscribed to anything. Never saw a reason to do so.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  12. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never done it since I've never seen a reason to do so.

13. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I use to subscribe to some threads, but the last thread I subscribed to was late last year. Also have several forums as subscriptions also.

14. Major Chord

Major Chord Choir Boy Extraordinaire Captain

I currently have 672 subscriptions. I subscribe to every thread I post in, so I can see if there's a response, and threads I find entertaining. I know I subscribed to several Mad Baggins threads a long time before I actually posted in them. No email notifications though...I get enough of them from Facebook!:p

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I subscribe to threads just to know where I've posted and if anyone has responded to me. I just find it easier to navigate the board this way (As well as the favorite forums feature and then doing the board through the My User CP area. Currently, I'm subscribed to 108 threads, even though I delete the old ones every so often. And you can set it so none of the subscriptions goes to Email. Just work through the User CP area and there's your point to why it's a good idea.

16. spinnerlys

spinnerlys Commander Red Shirt

I don't subscribe to threads I participate on TrekBBS, but on another board with a lot more sub-fora I use Subscriptions, which are quite easy to navigate.
    For example: [noparse]www.trekbbs.com/subscriptions[/noparse] would show me subscriptions here.

As I have over 7000 threads I subscribed to on that other board (since 9/2008) it is easier to keep track of them, than to just navigate every sub-forum (55 minus 22 fora I don't spy on).

Btw, is there something like a Forum Spy for TrekBBS?

17. Mark de Vries

Mark de Vries Commodore Commodore

I just browse the fora when I visit the site, and click on threads that seem interesting (and they're not always the same threads or fora). If it's a thread I've posted in I recognise is by the icon.

18. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Me, too. I've never subbed to a thread. In fact, to be honest, there are probably loads of things here on the bbs I've never taken advantage of. :lol:

19. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I've sub'ed to a couple of threads in the BR or Announcements, so I can look up some of the rules quickly if need be, but I've never actually used the feature to follow a conversation.

The feature is more useful if you only have one or two threads you're following on any given board. I've used it on other forums where I'm not a regular poster but have had one query eg a tech support issue.

20. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

I've used subscriptions two or three times, to keep track of threads in fora I rarely visit. Usually I use the arrows that appear on the envelope icon next to every thread; I find that a very quick and easy way of keeping an eye on threads I've posted in.