Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And tonight's replay is "T.R.A.C.K.S.".

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, no new episode tonight.

3. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Without me having to click on that (and I'm going to request people not discuss the contents at all, even in a vague way without spoiler code), what's the alleged source of that information? Leaked script, advanced copy, something else?

5. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Well, I hope it's false too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for M.O.D.O.K.

6. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]
    The person writing the spoiler says he was at Palelyfest and they screened "The End of the Beginning."

ETA: I googled "Paleyfest" and "SHIELD" and it seems some of the other details are confirmed, although other sites aren't revealing the Clairvoyant. Alidar, if you want to stay unspoiled, be careful what you click on because this seems to be spreading.

Some cute non-spoilers:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Alright, I guess I can be a hermit for a week. If you don't see me until then, I'll see you next week.

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Well, the writer sort of jumps the gun there in declaring that Hand is definitively the Clairvoyant, unless he left something out of the article.

I'll grant that the showrunners are certainly trying to imply that she's the Clairvoyant with that cut-off scene by having her give the orders to kill everyone but Coulsen because, as she says, "he's mine", but it could just as easily be another red herring like the guy in the wheelchair, and she just works for the Clairvoyant.

It's certainly a strong possibility that she's the Clairvoyant, and her inside knowledge of SHIELD would allow her to have what would appear to someone who didn't know the Clairvoyant's identity as a traitor be a precognitive grasp of their upcoming operations. It would also fit with the schism inside SHIELD that's already been building with Coulsen and will continue and escalate in CA:TWS. The hints that the Clairvoyant was a man (unless I'm misremembering) were attempts at hiding her identity, and the "psychic predictions" were simply a cover for why she could keep having advanced knowledge of SHIELD's every move.

So, I think there's a strong chance it's her, but if the article's details are accurate and nothing was left out, that's not definitive.

9. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Is Clark Gregg holding a picture of himself on Ward's body (it looks like one of those place your head in the hole picture spot you see at theme parks).

10. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Without reading any of the spoilers regarding the C, I imagine that it is totally likely that the identity revealed in this episode is a misleading one and the true identity is to be revealed later in the season--I can't imagine giving away such a detail like this.

11. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not without it being a plant, as you suspect.

12. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

So I watched Captain America: The Winter Soldier last night. I know it isn't out in America yet so this probably won't get discussed properly until then but...

How the hell is the show going to continue? Will the team just be a rogue group of people, will they be part of the "new SHIELD? (I'm assuming that there will be a new organisation put into place.)

13. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If it turns out to be true, that might be the last straw for me. I'm already NOT going to purchase Season 2 as I did Season 1 unless the quality of the last episode continues or improves.

14. Buck Bokai

Buck Bokai Lieutenant Red Shirt

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Well, that's a totally unsurprising choice.

16. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Anyone here bothered that Melinda May's surname is spelled "May" and not "Mei"? Granted we've never received any background on her family and no one is required to spell a name a certain way, but among all the nonstandard spellings of Asian names I've ever encountered, I've never seen "May" for "Mei" (supposing that Melinda May is an American of Chinese descent like Ming-Na Wen)

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

On the other hand, her first name is "Melinda." Asian-Americans don't always have Asian names. She, or her father, could've been adopted, say. Or maybe May is actually her middle name and she dropped her Chinese surname because it's difficult for Americans to pronounce. I find that May is actually a relatively common given name for Chinese-American girls.

Or maybe Melinda May isn't her birth name at all. She is a secret agent, after all.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm just glad no one thought to call her Mayday as an endearing nickname.

20. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

You make good points. I believe, though, that foreigners adopting Chinese babies en masse didn't start until the one-child policy came around in 1979. Ming-Na Wen was born in 1963 and even if you take advantage of how she doesn't look 50, I think 16 years is too big a stretch.