Blu-Ray Wishlist of Fixes

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Ssosmcin, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

The DVD versions have been altered as well, with things like the ship engine rumble being added where it wasn't there before, so if you think by watching your DVDs you're getting at experience closer to the original episode, you're not.

AFAIK, not a single home release of TOS, whether VHS, DVD, or bluray, has ever been exactly faithful to the original broadcasts.

"The horrible new FX" -- and I agree, many are horrible -- are merely an option you can choose; they have nothing to do with the remaster, which was completed before the new FX were added. I watch the remastered episodes with the original FX.
    I've never had a problem. And some of the original FX actually hold up pretty well in HD.

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Sorry, you're both wrong about what a jump cut is.

3. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I don't have a source, I think I must have read about it ... probably here on this board. At least the part about the opening credits seems to be confirmed, though.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

By whom? The problems with the audio are well known, but I haven't read anything about the picture being problematic.

5. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Agreed. If there were problems, it is not in the Blu-ray discs, it is in the player. Someone already said they had that minor issue with their older and cheap Magnavox (made by Funai a Chinese brand) player.

Back when Blu-ray format was new some players had issues with branches, etc. Good brand name players usually had this fixed through firmware updates. And players made in the last two or three years generally wouldn't even have those issues in the first place since the BD format is now reasonably mature.

6. Hober Mallow

I had an old Magnavox which would annoyingly show me an ANGLE camera icon in the corner of my screen whenever an FX scene would pop up, but that was my player, not the disc. No problems at all on my new player.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The Magnavox player has some issues handling branching and it had the annoying angle bug for a while (can't remember how I got it to go away) but the player is solid and has played every disc I've thrown at it for the past four-and-a-half years. :techman:

8. Oso Blanco

Isn't that bad enough? I don't want to hear any re-recorded opening music!

9. BillJ

Okay? No one is forcing you to buy the Blu-ray's. Just stating that whatever you've heard about the video quality is grossly overstated.

10. Hober Mallow

You're hearing newly-added sound FX on the DVDs. Are you going to give up your DVDs because of that?

11. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, I keep forgetting my own research. I gotta quit that early morning drinking...

From a prior post:
    I checked the Blu-Ray of Balance of Terror last night and in both the hi-fi and mono tracks in the original effects versions, the 2006 newly orchestrated theme is there. The old visuals are intact, but the music is the newer version. I didn't really have time to go through to find other episodes (I think there's at least one more), but I can confirm Balance of Terror.

So the footage is correct, but the music is wrong.

12. Oso Blanco

No, because for me that's the best version currently available. I still have the UK VHS tapes sitting on the shelf, but I don't have a player anymore (and The Changeling is cut there). This and the DVDs are a huge upgrade from VHS, so why should I buy BluRays that I know will not satisfy me anyway? Maybe one day there will be a fully restored version in production order (!), until then I will stick to the DVDs.

13. Hober Mallow

I guess we have different definitions of "best." To me, best means the clearest representation of the actual film master, which is the BD.

What was cut from "The Changeling?"

DVD to BD is a much greater resolution upgrade than was VHS to DVD. It's not even close. But, as I always say, whatever floats your boat. :)

14. Oso Blanco

To each his own, I think.

15. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

^^ Maybe a good time to offer a personal invitation to my home theatre? TOS footage 70" actual width in Full HD with a personal promise to stay clear of the CGI space VFX (the new matte paintings are worth a try, though, IMHO) ;)

Bob

16. Hober Mallow

That's not even close to true, but I'll stop harping on it. :)

17. BillJ

This. I can tell a massive difference between DVD and Blu-ray, even on my 32" bedroom TV.

18. Hober Mallow

Yes, 420, or 480, or whatever, to 1080 is a much bigger increase in resolution from VHS to DVD, even if VHS was 0 resolution.

19. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's interesting that my VHS and Laserdiscs look so much worse next to DVD, but the DVD doesn't look nearly as bad in comparison to the Blu-Ray. I'm perfectly fine with the DVD prints and they look really good on my 50 inch HD screen. Granted, the Blu-Rays are insanely clear and sharp, but the DVDs look much sharper than the prior home video releases. Like all my DVDs, actually.

20. Oso Blanco

I'm glad that I'm not the only one ...