MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

A-Rod is apparently going to fight it tooth and nail, but we all know what the result with be.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I hope A-Rod hits a 600-foot dinger, flips the bat into the 20th row and takes like two minutes to round the bases tonight.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why not? Might be his last chance, and the boo birds will be flying higher than anything he hits.

4. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Looks like Gio Gonzalez was cleared as well. Interesting day.

5. Timby

Nah, he'll appeal this, and that wouldn't get heard until most likely October, which would put a ruling sometime in November or December. We'll see a lot more of Rodriguez this year.

6. R. Star

I'm betting Selig's going to do everything he can to make it quicker.

7. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

As am I. We'll have a decision by the end of the week.

--Sran

8. Timby

We will not. The suspension was filed under the Joint Drug Agreement, which allows for immediate appeal and the stay on suspension until the appeal is heard and decided upon (the mechanism by which guys like Braun and Melky continued to play until their appeals were heard, which took several months; MLB fired arbitrator Shyam Das after he ruled in Braun's favor aftor a lengthy process). The MLBPA has already filed that appeal. There is no possibility of Selig acting unilaterally at this point -- the process is in motion.

9. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

Going to enjoy A-Rod being a giant black cloud over the yanks while he appeals, they asked for it when they gave him that idiotic deal.

10. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ban him for Life, what is this his 3rd offence?

11. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

What are you talking about?

--Sran

12. R. Star

Selig could've done that. Personally I think what A-Rod did was way worse than what Pete Rose did. But it'll come around when he's 40 and hasn't played for over a year and a half and he tries stepping back into the box.

13. Timby

Oh, good, the Pete Rose equivalency. It's the Godwin of steroids.

Pete Rose broke the one rule that is completely verboten in Major League Baseball, the rule that is in every single clubhouse, reminding everyone that there's a lifetime ban waiting in the wings for anyone who breaks it. Anybody who did what Rose did would get the same penalty. Steroids have a clearly defined 50 / 100 / "goodbye" policy, though due to the nature of this evidence they're basically handing down similar suspensions under a different rule since these guys are in a weird semi-discretionary area.

There's a huge gap between what Rose did and what A-Rod, Braun, et al., have done. More like a giant chasm.

14. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed. It's looking like the rumor of the un-appealable "best interests of baseball" suspension was all a bluff.

Obviously the penalties are what they are, but how big the gap is is a matter of opinion. Rose is worse, IMO, but obstructing an investigation in order to keep cheating (if proven) is plenty bad.

15. R. Star

Rose gambled on baseball while he was actively participating. For the most part that gives the game a bad image, though there is the possibility he threw some games to win. He says otherwise, but he's denied everything so inconsistently I wouldn't believe him if he said the sky was blue.

A-Rod was juicing and likely has been doing so his whole career. That also gives the game a bad image. What it also does, is inflate player statistics and effects salaries of more than those who juice. So that actively alters the results of the franchise, budgets and player statistics for years. That's why I think it's worse.

Honestly, I think Selig's just as responsible. He's turned a blind eye to this for the last twenty years and is only now coming down hard on this when his time as commissioner is coming to an end and he's playing damage control for his legacy.

16. Timby

John Dowd had damning evidence that Rose bet against the Reds. That's probably the most terrible thing you can do in baseball.

See, I don't get this. Baseball is the most up its own ass about career records and old-timey nostalgia of the four major sports in the United States (and that's a pretty big accomplishment, considering), and it's a perspective that is full of shit. Greenies -- amphetamines -- were passed around like candy in clubhouses for decades, and I don't see anyone saying Willie Mays or Roger Maris tainted the game.

Furthermore, all this furor is part of the problem. When Neifi fucking Perez gets popped for steroids, it's pretty clear proof that PEDs are not magic dinger juice. Barry Bonds did not magically learn how to hit a baseball, neither did Alex Rodriguez. By turning it into a circus, you highlight not the dangers of PEDs, but their supposed effectiveness, so High School Johnny doesn't think they're dangerous, he thinks they're effective and maybe even necessary for him as long as he doesn't get caught. This is the real problem with all this 'tainted records' and 'sanctity of the game' crap.

I'm not saying baseball shouldn't have a comprehensive and strict drug testing program -- that's what the JDA is, after all. But the hand-wringing about someone shooting Winstrol into their ass is ridiculous when it is basically empirically proven that shooting Winstrol into your ass does not magically turn you into a demigod of baseball. This is a much bigger problem that has to be addressed from the lowest levels of the sport.

The way the media (and fans, and the BBWAA) goes nuts about these things being magic dinger juice only adds to the allure for younger players. That's the real problem, not "tainted statistics."

Selig definitely bears some responsibility. People knew something was up when McGwire was caught red-handed with Andro and all these guys started showing up with 20 lbs of new muscle, and even before that, Fay Vincent circulated a memo to owners in 1991 explicitly discussing steroid abuse in clubhouses and how it should not be tolerated under any circumstances. That being said, I don't think it's about his legacy -- I think this is more about putting on a show so that people like Rep. Waxman don't do useless congressional hearings about steroids in baseball again.

What I'm saying is that PED usage is a systemic issue in baseball (and all the major sports leagues), and to make Alex Rodriguez a pariah and be all "yeah fuck that guy whoooo" is missing the forest for the trees.

17. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A-Roid

18. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Harper pimps a homerun. Teheran drills Harper next AB. F.P. Santangelo and Ray Knight are calling for Brave blood on national television during the post game show. Santangelo is clamoring for someone to get hit immediately while Ray Knight is an advocate of retaliating later to some unsuspecting bench player next month. Baseball feuds are hilariously illogical.

19. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I don't understand the perceived offense pitchers and teams find in a player lingering to watch a home run. Yet it is acceptable to toss the ball around the horn when a batter strikes out. You talk about showing up a player.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Make PEDs legal, have the highly paid Doctors and Trainers supervise it all, then there will be choice and equal access as well as safety. Cheating to me involves doing something that requires no work, most PEDs still require a massive amount of work(95% of you on this BBS would not succeed with using steroids), preparation and planning, and in competitive sports, it's only successful if the talent is there...just check who else is on the banned list.

RAMA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.