VAN: Declassified Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Jun 16, 2011.

?

Rank Vanguard: Declassified

1. Outstanding

37.9%
  2. Above Average

53.0%
  3. Average

4.5%
  4. Below Average

3.0%
  5. Poor

1.5%
  1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As the book is in stock at amazon.de and one of the authors has the book already I guess the book should start to be more widely available soon.

Definitely looking forward to reading it (but I'll have to wait for the Kindle release :scream: )

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Vanguard: Declassified Review Thread

Cool, I can't wait to check this out. I'm especially looking forward to reading out first story written by Marco Palmieri.

3. Defcon

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, well I guess it would be our first Trek story written by Marco, then.

5. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DAmn, I still need to read the last two Vangaurd novels. Better hurry up then, almost done with Watching the Clock. :D

6. Defcon

I hope you know I was just kidding. :)

What's weird is that amazon.de had it listed as In Stock this afternoon (with 1 book left IIRC) and now they're listing it as not released yet again, instead of available in so and so many days/weeks as they usually do when they've sold out their initial batch.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

(Gets up, walks eight paces to comics bookshelf in bedroom) Oh, there it is!

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I figured you probably were. But, it did point out that what I said was untrue.

9. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Still have mine too. Marco was kind enough to sign it at last year's Shore Leave.

10. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, here it is. :) The thread had fallen onto the second page.

(I'm so annoyed right now; I wrote a review that I was very pleased with, only for my internet connection to momentarily collapse when I clicked the submit button, and obliterate my post. Yet the connection returned literally seconds later. What amazingly bad timing. I'll try again, though it'll feel all clunky this time and the language will be wrong. *mutters quietly*).

Well, I've just finished Declassified, and I'm pleased to say its of usual Vanguard quality. I really liked the format; the stories were long enough to feel substantial but short enough to offer a different experience from the usual; it breaks up the pattern of full length novels nicely, and felt refreshing while also being significant in terms of the wider series. That is to say, it wasn't filler, it had important developments and interesting insights into character backstories. Each of the four tales was well-written, and with a good grasp of character; a consistant quality that really helped sell the anthology. Also, I felt each story justified its choice of focus, and I went away quite satisfied with the particular gaps in our knowledge that the authors had chosen to fill. I could also get a sense of what each was about, what the author was doing in terms of basic themes and the nature of the story. And while distinct, they offered a shared vision of the Trek universe and Vanguard in particular.

Not surprising given that this is their series, the four authors all seem to understand fully what makes it work for readers, both in their own tales and how they handle the "Star Trek Vanguard" world in its entirety. Basically, as a reader I felt confident throughout that the authors knew what they were doing, where they were going and what their concept of this series is. They know what makes Vanguard Vanguard. And that really shows through, and makes each story feel significant and sure of itself. Good show.

I'm pretty much repeating myself, so I'll just give a summary: usual Vanguard quality, all four writers on form, nothing amazing but a strong showing that easily deserves an Above Average vote on the poll. Oh, and the Mack story, set after Precipice, plays hell with one of the best characters, so...well done there.

PS: And Marco Palmieri had Arkenites, so he gets a "making use of established but underused aliens" point too.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  11. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Glad you enjoyed it, DN!

12. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Done already? Mine is not here yet.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

For anyone who hasn't gotten the book yet, and wants a taste there is a excerpt from Marco's story," The Ruin of Noble Men", in the current issue of Star Trek magazine.

14. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Ensign Red Shirt

For someone who's not read any Vanguard yet, what would be better- reading Declassified after Precipice like how it came out, or reading each short story placed in chronological order within the series?

15. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

To get the full flavor read them in order from Harbinger onward.

16. David Mack

^ Exactly. Read them in publication order, not chronological.

17. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Tooooooooootally can't wait for Tuesday. My Kindle is ready for downloading. I think it would probably be safe to go ahead and click "Outstanding."

I have a friend who hasn't read any Vanguard yet. Could he read Declassified and it won't ruin the previous books and even make him want to go back and get them?

18. David Mack

^ He should read the first five novels before reading Declassified. As I had just said in the post immediately before yours.

19. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, yes, i just didn't know if getting into Declassified heavily relies upon your knowledge of the preceding books other than knowing the characters. i didn't know if the stories continue the Shedai plot or were largely independent mini stories.

20. David Mack

^ Both, actually. But seriously, this would not be an entry point into the saga. Readers who are already familiar with the series, its characters, and its situations will get more out of this than a new or casual reader. The series really is meant to be read in the order it was created.