The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Professor Moriarty, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes.

Somewhat more of the latter than the former, I expect.

2. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At least this time it can't be blamed upon the "furries". :guffaw:

Sincerely,

Bill

3. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a picture of the Enterprise under construction. Who's to say that what we saw on TOS wasn't a 'refit' of this?

---------------

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. Some people are so stuck in the past that they don't want to move forward. There's also a lot of people jumping to conclusions as to what the movie is going to be about. Here's an idea. Why don't we watch the movie first and *then* critique it. It's just one freaking picture!

5. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

A bit of both. Think "Superman Returns."

6. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Oh, I don't know - I've heard that we'll see tribbles, which is as much a slap in the face of every died-in-the-fur Trekker as Microgramma and bulging members ;).

So far, I don't dislike what I see - heck, there's not really enough there for any rational person to make a judgment, really (what am I talking about, "rational?". I build non-existent models of non-existent ship interiors - and ones I admit aren't even "accurate" !! :D). What we do see looks close enough, to me, to believe that when we see the whole thing, I'm not going to ask, "Umm, what ship is that supposed to be?" even if I can't see the name tattoed across the roof.

But even based upon what we see, I'd still rather have Vektor's update - it's rationally changed without doing it gratuitously - which is what I think the aztecing here is. But I won't avoid the theater just because of it - I'll leave that excuse up to the skills of the Transformers writers ... :rolleyes:

7. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

That's a good assessment IMO ... it looks like a telephoto view, and folks probably aren't used to seeing spaceships with compressed images (though the still guys at ILM used to take lots of SW pics that way ... most pr stills of imperials chasing the FALCON have got this compresion on the star destroyers.)

Walter Hill shot nearly all of SUPERNOVA with long lenses, but that was on interiors, not exteriors ... 2001 used long lenses, not wide angle ones, but that was with huge miniatures, whereas this Enterprise image looks like an artist's conception of a ship rather than something physical and impressive.

8. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

I think people need to lay off the "fans are ruining trek" attitude, which seems to be posted whenever someone has any critique of anything.

POSTER1: "I don't like it because it's not like the original."

POSTER2: "You are ruining Trek!"

POSTER3: "Yeah you're so negative! You're ruining trek!"

Come on, guys, not everyone is required to love every aspect of the new movie (or any aspect of it, for that matter). If they don't like something, they don't like it. Deal with it. The positive reaction from Fandom has far outweighed the negative, at least here.

Now then. As something of a purist, I'm pretty Ok with this. (a purist being someone who likes the original version best and doesn't have to like something new based only on it being new.) I'm a bit disappointed they didn't go with the TOS design, but I like this new design (so far). It's not the original, but still quite nice. I think they went for a TMP-era design.

[​IMG]

It looks very similar. TMP-with-Gabe-nacelles. There are worse things. :lol:

9. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

True. Fans have no choice but to accept new actors in the roles, but changes to the Enterprise are not necessary. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

However, even though I'm not immediately impressed with the image of the new Enterprise we've just seen, I'm still willing to wait to see what transpires. After all, the Enterprise on the assembly line might be expected to look a little rough.

---------------

10. What's his face

What's his face Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm willing to bet you and people like you will in fact go see this movie on the night of the premiere, and then come on here and bitch about how horrible it is. And then, when it comes out on DVD, you'll rent it, watch the movie and the special features, and then come on here and bitch about it again.

It's odd that people have been whining and complaining about how awful everything trek is for years and yet they still continue to watch it...

11. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, to be fair, you really should watch it if you want to bitch about it. Plus you might possibly end up liking it...

12. What's his face

Some people have already decided they hate it and the movie doesn't come out for a year.

13. JoeRalat

JoeRalat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seeing the B&W Version looks like Gabe's Model. Has anyone heard from this guy? Has he said anything like..No its not my model..etc

14. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I haven't made a comment on the quality of the movie yet.. but, this is curious logic.

Before I decide if I want to see the movie, I should see the movie?

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only part of the image that looks like Gabe's model is the rounded cowlings on the fronts of the nacelles.

16. What's his face

That's obviously not what I said. What I said was that it's pretty silly that some people are always complaining about how awful trek is, and yet they continue to watch new episodes and movies as they are released. They complain about it (often for trivial reasons) and yet continue to be viewers.

I'm pretty sure that many, if not most of the people who are complaining about how horrible STXI is going to be are still going to see it regardless.

17. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gabe stated that his model was done solely for the calendar. He stated, emphatically, that he was in no way working on this film (he's working on the live-action "Speed Racer" film at the moment!). So unless he was just lying... which I don't buy into... or unless they offered him enough to allow him to burn some bridges on the other film... or if that other film has been killed... it's terribly hard to believe that he's involved in the making of this film.

However, it's very obvious that ONE key element (the "nacelle foreskins" we see there) is something that had never been seen before his speculative work.

I'm hoping, still (albeit with not a whole lotta "hope" involved) that this may not be what we see in the film. Maybe that's the model they're making of the Republic? ;)

But if this IS his model... well, he signed over the rights, so he has no legal claim as far as I know. But it would be the height of classlessness to use his original concept without at least listing his name in the credits.

18. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Sorry, that was odd, I was attempting to quote Ancient there and got your block instead.

But, as for me, I didn't watch most of the ENT or VOY series, precious little of the DS9 series, I didn't see the last TNG movie... And, in all honesty, I doubt I'll see this new one. I'm certainly not going to see it in the theaters.

So, your accusation doesn't hold with me, screwed-up quoting aside. :)

19. What's his face

No worries about the quotes

I don't doubt you. As for me, I'm a bit of a trek fan, but I missed most of ENT (not too good except for S4) and I never saw Nemesis. I'll probably just get this one when it comes out on DVD or download it.

And I think the new Enterprise looks cool. Better than the old one (gets ready top be stoned to death by TOS fundamentalists :lol:)

20. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOL... even if they say they won't be there - they'll be there so they can come here and complain later and state how Abrams, Orci... ect have ruined Star Trek. Then when the box office returns come in and its a proven hit they'll disown it as "popular mindless entertainment" not "real" Star Trek.

I can here it already.
    Of course the franchise will flourish without them since there will be a whole generation new that cares about Star Trek.

Oh and particular scorn will be held for new fans who came to Trek by way of this movie.

Sharr *who knows the myth of the open minded Trek fan is right up there with Vulcan's not lying...*