History of the Enterprise Flagship revealed?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Lighthammer, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was re watching Enterprise Season 4 (some of the best trek ever written!) I realized they might have given us a very strong rational reason for why the Enterprise is typically deemed the Flagship of the Federation.

In the episode "United", the Enterprise acts as the flagship between the Vulcans, Andorians and Telerites.

Does anyone know if this was meant to explain why the linage of the Enterprise is, in universe, so important?

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I figured it was important by virtue of it being first. And saving the world in season 3.

As for the name, I've heard that a deleted scene or cut line from somewhere in season one would have established that Zephram Cochrane himself named the Enterprise - and of course he got it from the Next Gen crew in First Contact, making the whole "Enterprise" name a temporal loop thingie.

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only in fandom, though. On screen, the E-D was the only ship of that name to carry the moniker.

But if NX-01 made the name Enterprise important, why did Starfleet not build any starships of that name for the next hundred years?

It seems that the name for Kirk's ship was picked more or less by random, perhaps mostly in honor of the WWII aircraft carrier (in the real world, the most "heroic" of the lot), at a time when Archer's voyages had already been forgotten - and it was Kirk's ship rather than Archer's that made the name Enterprise a prominent one in Starfleet.

Timo Saloniemi

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The UFP was in its infancy, so they wanted to downplay Earth to promote "unity". The name Enterprise was put on hold till things firmed up.*

*I'll take fan rationalizations for 1000, Alex. ;)

5. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only thing that makes sense to me is that this was the case in the original series timeline, but that ENT takes place in an alternate one created by First Contact and the Temporal Cold War. Is it not possible that the NX-01 was called something else in the original history, until the Enterprise-E went back and gave Cochrane the name, and that it wasn't quite as significant in history until the TCW factions intervened?

6. F. King Daniel

Eh, if they could retcon the Enterprise NX-01 into the continuity, they could slip another one in afterwards. Harve Bennett's unmade prequel movie Star Trek: The Academy Years featured an older USS Enterprise.

It's always possible that a very prominent non-Starfleet ship had the Enterprise name during the era. That ringship from the TMP rec room wall, for example...

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I'd have to agree with this. It seems that the NX class vessels were named after the Space Shuttles, while Kirk's Enterprise was named primarily after the U.S. Navy aircraft carrier, as other ships in TOS were primarily named after naval vessels. There doesn't have to be any correlation at all between Archer's ship and Kirk's ship as far as the nomenclature goes.

8. F. King Daniel

That's because there was no space shuttle Enterprise when TOS wae made. And of course, the shuttle was named for Trek's ship, and first appeared in-universe in TMP, as part of the rec room display.

I wonder what Trek's version of Enterprise OV-101 was named for? I guess that goes in the "universe exploding questions" box along with what the Trekverse lyrics are to the Beastie Boys' Intergalactic...

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe in the Star Trek Universe, the big American space opera franchise was an alternate version of Babylon 5 featuring the adventures of Captain John Sheridan of the E.A.S. Enterprise -- prompting a huge fan campaign to name the first United States space shuttle in honor of that franchise instead. ;)

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I always wondered if, in-universe, B5 had an EAS Enterprise, and what kind of ship it was. Probably Explorer class.

Would there be a copyright problem if JMS had decided to actually use a ship with that name? Or would the "EAS" prefix get around that?

11. F. King Daniel

Yeah, CBS has copyright on "Starship Enterprise" which covers any spaceship with that name in TV/film.

I've read that they also have copyright on the basic saucer/nacelles shape. Not quite sure how you copyright something in such broad terms, though.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Really? That sounds kind of pathetic, actually. :rolleyes: This includes alternate prefixes, like the "EAS" used on B5? It's not like viewers would be dumb enough to confuse the two.

13. Sci

No, it makes sense. Any work that features a prominent fictional spaceship named Enterprise is treading on ice CBS/Paramount already owns; they should pick their own name if they want a spaceship. (And it's probably a trademark, not a copyright.)

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The ringship would seem to predate the NX-01 based on images seen in "First Flight".

15. Mr. Laser Beam

What if it's not prominent? Just some random ship in the background?

16. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that this is the genesis of the ongoing joke in Stargate about not naming things Enterprise. Its an interesting question to think about. Obviously CBS/Paramount cannot possibly own the rights to the designation "USS Enterprise" since that would belong to the US Navy. In Stargate all of the American ships from earth carry the USS prefix from the real world navy. Thus had they ever chosen to use Enterprise, it would be the "USS Enterprise." Of course, in universe, that would be the real reason they could not use the name...it would already be in use by the navy.

17. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, USN fairly recently operated the namesakes of Stargate's USS Apollo and USS Daedalus at least. And the name Enterprise is going to be liberated soon!

Many of the ships in Star Trek have their USN counterparts, too, and I don't really see them asking the Navy for permission. Either now, or back in the days of TOS when basically every starship bore the name of a famous naval vessel.

Timo Saloniemi

18. black_dranzer

black_dranzer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Stargate's ships were operated by the US Air Force not the Navy, so would they not have the USAF prefix?

19. Sci

Then presumably, it would be the equivalent of that little glimpse of the Millennium Falcon flying in the background of the Battle of Sector 001 in ST:FC, or of Serenity from Firefly appearing in the pilot miniseries for the revived Battlestar Galactica -- technically actionable if the copyright holder were to chose to pursue it, but they probably won't since it's more of a "cameo" and a wink to the other franchise than it is an actual attempt to profit off of their trademarks.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.