AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Drive by trolling, nothing more nothing less

re: the killing of Coulson- I think knowing it was a Whedon movie, it was pretty likely *someone* would die, and tbh they obvs couldn't kill off Thor, Cap, Hulk or Iron Man, doubted it would be Black Widow, Hawkeye or Nick Fury, so it only really left Coulson or Maria Hill. And seen as we didn't know Hill before this one, it was the obvious choice I suppose

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not reading the spoilers cause I want to save myself something for the initial viewing. Just knowing they exist means you guys have clearly latched onto several things that I can't wait to see next week!!

So, since it's mid-week release how has it fared? I'm assuming these numbers include any Tuesday midnight figures as well.
    Pretty impressive, 3 days, 41 territories and $73.1m!!

3. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Well, that was pretty spectacular, not to mention very funny. Smarter than I expected, too, even though Whedon does fall back on one or two obvious tropes when it comes to certain scenes involving Iron Man or the Hulk. I'm giving it an A Minus for now, but that's by no means an indication that I had a lukewarm reaction to the movie. To me, anything higher is encroaching on "Stone Cold Classic" territory and I'd need a second viewing to nudge me that way. I think it's the best of Marvel's franchise-starters, including those for Spidey and the X-Men, and that it manages to be both the best Iron Man movie and the best Hulk movie to boot.

4. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

5. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'm curious what you mean by this line. Do you mean that they are the two that get the most screentime? Or that the movie just does them justice?

I'm more interested in this movie for more of Thor and Cap. So far we've only gotten one movie each with them and I just want to see their characters reacting to new threats/challenges.

6. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

The second one. None of the major players is short-changed for screen time in the movie and all get their unique moments.

(Edit: I may be a little fixated on Iron Man and the Hulk because they're long-term favourites of mine.)

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

8. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

That's good. Though to be fair I am interested in more of Iron Man as well, I find his character in the films interesting).

But like I said, I'm more looking forward to seeing more Thor and Cap.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Though the memory is hazy by this point, I'm pretty sure that as a kid I only cared about the Avengers comic book because Iron Man was in it.

History repeats itself.

10. Ethros

I did enjoy it a lot, loved it, and really need a second viewing to make my mind up on it properly, but I still think it wouldn't be my favourite Marvel movie. X-Men 2 still does it for me

11. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

After Bruce talked about putting a bullet in his mouth but Hulk spitting it out I thought the Whedon death might have been Hulk, seeing as there aren't really any plans for another movie. THAT would have been unexpected.

12. Ethros

Anyone else think the altered UK title for the movie...
    actually worked better maybe, as the last line spoken before the big title card showed up, was a Shield agent asking "what are we gonna do?" then it was like AVENGERS ASSEMBLE

Just thought that was cool

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  13. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

14. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Re: The spoiler

I could have sworn I read interviews from the guy that plays Coulson that they were not going to kill him off in the film. Clever misdirection from Clark Gregg I guess

I bought Captain America and Thor in anticipation of seeing this movie Friday. Thor I've decided is my favorite character of the lot (thanks largely to Chris Hemsworth) and I really enjoyed Cap, especially for it's old fashioned look and feel.

15. Ethros

Just one thing to add, I could understand it in some of those set pictures, but I didn't see a problem at all with Cap's helmet in the movie.

also anyone spot the cameo from Dollhouse's Enver Gjokaj (Victor) as an NY cop?

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Gah, all these spoiler tags! I wanna see this movie now! :scream:

17. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

and the other guy was one of Nucky Thompson's cronies from Boardwalk Empire.

18. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Okay I loved this film. Easily my favourite superhero movie to date. Funny in all the right places, and dramatic in all the right places.

Ruffalo was great as Banner. So much so that I forgot to be disappointed that Ed Norton wasn't reprising the role. :)

I'm still giggling at one particular line, but I won't spoil it. :)

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

That's good news.

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm one step closer to being able to freely click on all the spoiler buttons. Oh, the agony it's still 5 day away!!

[​IMG]