New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Tom Riker, Jan 2, 2013.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or maybe he removed the coloured smock as a symbol of his independence from Starfleet, like Kirk in the Mirror Universe sotryline in IDW's comics. As for the terms used in the article, sloppy writing.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or, it may be that the colored tunic is worn only by personnel while actively serving aboard a vessel.

Think about it. We saw a variety of uniforms in the first film, and the only place we saw people wearing the TOS-derived color-coded tunic was aboard the Enterprise itself. When we saw those same officers in other situations - Pike, Spock, Uhura, Scotty - they wore different uniforms or clothing. The same appears to be true in photographs from the second movie.

3. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, but it begs the question: "Whose sloppy writing"?

If this came from some fan who THINKS he knows the plot, then it becomes less relevant than if it actually came from the production. The sloppy writing from this latest alleged synopsis could be due to this fan (1) being a bad writer, and/or (2) not being a native English-speaker.

By the way, has it ever been confirmed that the "detonate the fleet" synopsis came straight from Paramount? I know that some websites said it was from Paramount, but was it really? Or maybe was it possibly from Paramount's Japanese publicity tour for the film, and some fan translated it from Japanese (and translated it badly)?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Combined with the budget to have more than one uniform type, that makes sense. You don't see personnel on aircraft carriers wearing their green, purple, red, yellow, etc. color-coded uniforms off ship (or even off duty).

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Actually I'd been accepting this as a given since first seeing the movie in 2009. It appears to be the way the costuming was designed. Even when McCoy is boarding a shuttle to go to the Enterprise he's wearing a "ground uniform;" he changes into the TOS outfit sometime after Kirk loses consciousness in Sick Bay.

We never see a TOS-style outfit on anyone at Starfleet - not at the Academy, not at ceremonies or gatherings, not on the grounds outside.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Startrek.com claimed it was from Paramount on November 27. See here. If the official Star Trek website says it's from Paramount, that's enough for me to believe it's from Paramount.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

"Do we care? Are we caring about this, now?"

8. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472
    Oh my...i lost the extremely excited feeling when i hear about a Trek movie after the reboot.
    I just watch it because it has something to do with Star Trek...

9. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe they're trotting out that old "We want to remake 'Heart of Darkness'" thing again. Hence Star Trek Into Darkness.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately Dennis Hopper is not available.

11. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But I think Weller would make a good Kurtz.

Actually, Garth of Izar would make a good Kurtz.

12. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

really sounds like that TOS novel, at least partly.

13. shatastrophic

shatastrophic Commander Red Shirt

Man...the news of this blew my theory right out of the water...