I just started watching 'Twin Peaks' and I'm hooked.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aldo, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Those rumors turned out to be false. similar rumors crop up every other year or so. I suspect it's been discussed (by Lynch, Mark Frost, Kyle Maclachlan etc.) but no real movement has ever been made.

With Lynch though you never know. I would be happy with any new film/tv project from him. It's been awhile.

Between the ending of show and the film I feel satisfied enough with how everything turns out. Ideally we could have gotten a third season or more films, but I'm satisfied. The ending of the film is very beautiful and caps things off nicely, even if some plot strands are still left from the series.

2. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

^^^I had read about the rumors being false right after I made the post. Still, that's too bad, I think a season catching up with these characters 25 years later, with Lynch writing every episode, would have been interesting to see.

On the viewing front, I have only the series final left, and then I'm going to jump right into the movie, and I'm probably going to do that in the next few minutes.

3. Warp Core Breach

Warp Core Breach Commodore Commodore

4. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I've been sitting here thinking on what I have just seen. The movie is very disjointed, and it depends greatly on the series, I cannot imagine anyone getting anything out of the movie that hasn't seen the show first. I can imagine myself sitting down to watch this movie several more times to come, in fact as I sit here I can't imagine not watching it...it really sticks with you, in fact I'll go so far as to say I love it.

But before I go too far into the movie, I'd like to comment on the season 2 finale, which because of ABC ended up as the series finale as well.

My favorite moment of the episode was definitely Dale's descent into the Black Lodge, it started out rather calm, with Dale fumbling around, then once Laura starting doing that weird scream, man that was downright unsettling. After the episode was finished and I got up to use the bathroom I was creeped the fuck out. It's too bad we'll probably never get a resolution to a few storylines, I am intrigued what they would have done with Audrey after the bomb explosion, and very curious if Pete died since he was so close to the storage locker when it went off. With that said, I'm OK with where Cooper is, as glimpsed at in the movie, the "good" Dale Cooper is still stuck in the Black Lodge. Maybe it's not the ending for the character most of us wanted, but I'm happy with it, at least.

Now, back to the movie. Going into this I was disappointed Laura Flynn Boyle didn't return. Granted I knew this before I even started on the series, I really grew to like Donna as a character and that was in no small part to Boyle. So upon watching the movie and seeing Moira Kelly's performance, I was pretty blown away at how accurately she captured all the nuances of Boyle's performance. I'm sure this is in no small part thanks to Lynch. In fact watching her scenes I couldn't help but imagine what the show would have been like with her playing Donna instead.

Another thing that bothered me going into the movie was knowing that Cooper's role would be smaller because Kyle MacLachlan almost did'nt return. Though after having seen the movie, I'm not sure what more his character could have done in the movie...I can only guess the prologue was slightly different and he was to feature in the scenes that were filled by Special Agent Chester Desmond...who honestly didn't make an impact on me one way or the other. Though I did find Kiefer Sutherland interesting, but he didn't really have much to do.

As for the story itself, it was fairly straight forward, yes there is a lot of symbolism (one of the reasons I want to watch it again soon), and a few esoteric concepts. I hate to say this, but a bit of it did go over my head, but that did not detract from my enjoyment of the film, since like I said I loved it a lot. And in response to those who said it didn't feel like the show, that's true in a way, but then there were sequences that just felt like classic TP to me. It didn't hurt that all of my favorite themes from the show were present on the soundtrack, especially Laura's theme, my absolute favorite theme.

Got to give one last shout out to Lynch as Gordon Cole. He became one of my favorite side characters in the show and I loved him here in the movie too.

5. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dan O'Herlihy. His son Gavan (Chuck Cunningham) is also in TP as a crooked Mountie.

Seeing "older" character actors from movies was a fun thing about the series, and fairly unusual at the time. Richard Beymer, Russ Tamblyn and Piper Laurie, of course. There was also Peggy Lipton, who I guess had been around but I hadn't seen since The Mod Squad; she seemed prettier in her early 40s. But also O'Herlihy, Royal Dano, and my favorite, wonderful old Hank Worden, near 90 and in his final part.

6. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I knew I recognized the name Peggy Lipton from somewhere! Whenever the name came up I was always like: "I know that name from somewhere!" But I never bothered to look her up.

7. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She is also the mother of Rashida Jones, from "the Office" and "Parks and Rec."

8. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Since this thread started I've reread MY LIFE MY TAPES and THE DIARY OF LAURA PALMER, and I gotta say, I really wish I hadn't sold off all my issues of WRAPPED IN PLASTIC.

I am totally fired up to go through the whole series again (after re-viewing THE PRISONER and RIPPER STREET.)

9. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Glad you liked the conclusion Aldo. Now you will have to watch Blue Velvet :techman:

I actually just had the opportunity to view a 35mm film print of Blue Velvet and was enraptured by the entire experience. It's my favorite Lynch film (closely followed by Eraserhead)

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Thanks for reminding me :) Just ordered it off of Amazon.

11. the G-man

David Lynch To Shoot New Twin Peaks Material, Probably As A Promo For The Upcoming Blu-Rays: Though it’s yet to be confirmed, [Rich Johnston of Bleeding Cool has] heard that the Blu-ray release of Twin Peaks will include the entire series, the prequel movie, a great deal of deleted scenes material – up to 45 minutes have been mentioned, but it’s in the hands of both lawyers and remastering boffins – and it will all hit the street in late March.

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Maybe he'll give us some kind of ending for the series, since it was all left a bit open ended.

'The Killing' the show that got cancelled by AMC is being resurrected by Netflix for a final season to tie up loose ends, I wonder if something like that could also be done for 'Twin Peaks'?

13. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Mark Frost said on Twitter that it's not true.

14. the G-man

15. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

16. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'm excited by that too. Though I do wish it would be edited back into the film proper, or at least some of the footage. I'm not too familiar with Lynch's ways so I'm not sure what he thinks of directors cuts.

17. atlantalliance

atlantalliance Lieutenant Red Shirt

they say its coming back

18. Mr Soak

Mr Soak Commodore Commodore