NBC fall schedule for the 2012/2013 season

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, May 13, 2012.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

NBC has announced its fall schedule for next season. You can see all the details here and watch previews of the new shows here.

Here's the list of NBC's scripted shows:

One-Hour

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - 14th season
    Parenthood - 4th season
    Grimm - 2nd season
    Smash - 2nd season
    Chicago Fire - 1st season
    Do No Harm - 1st season
    Hannibal - 1st season
    Infamous - 1st season
    Revolution - 1st season

Half-Hour

The Office- 9th season
    30 Rock - 7th season
    Parks and Recreation - 5th season
    Community - 4th season
    Up All Night - 2nd season
    Whitney - 2nd season
    1600 Penn - 1st season
    Animal Practice - 1st season
    Go On - 1st season
    Guys with Kids - 1st season
    The New Normal - 1st season
    Next Caller - 1st season
    Save Me - 1st season

And here are the NBC scripted shows cancelled in the 2011/2012 season:

One-Hour

Chuck - 5 seasons
    Harry’s Law - 2 seasons
    Awake - 1 season
    The Firm - 1 season
    The Playboy Club - 1 season
    Prime Suspect - 1 season

Half-Hour

Are You There, Chelsea? - 1 season
    Bent - 1 season
    Best Friends Forever - 1 season
    Free Agents - 1 season

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  2. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like "Awake"! Well, I like Jason Isaacs. The storylines aren't bad--intriguing in the differences between the timelines. And Britten just remembered that he was run off the road. Darn!

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still excited that Parks and Rec got a full season renewal. Also, this being 30 Rock's final season, I can't wait for the comedies I love so much to come back in the fall. It will be a fun time.

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

NBC is also still developing Mockingbird Lane and Republic of Pirates for midseason.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Smash being held till midseason will kill it. They're planning a big (?) revamp, but even if that does salvage the show, everyone will have forgotten about it by then.

I think NBC is wasting the opportunity they have this year with a big sports watching audience for the Olympics and football. Will that audience really respond to ads for this lineup? Comedies, maybe - but the dramas are weak. They could have picked up a show about women and prison and a Western! At least they opted for firefighters instead of yet another damn cop show.

Personally, I'm always up for anything sci fi, so I'll check out Revolution and Do No Harm.

Trailers:

Do No Harm - Soapy and overwrought, hunky doc, I'm in! :rommie:

Chicago Fire - Uncle Mason as a shirtless firefighter! But I'm not really interested in this premise. With all the testosterone being flung around, plus plenty of action scenes, guys should like it (but lose the daytime-soap music.)

Animal Practice - Well, I like Justin Kirk, but if that's an example of the writing...nope. :wtf:

Revolution - Like everyone else, I'm leery of yet another mythology-heavy road to nowhere, but that won't stop me from going along for the ride. I do like that they start the action 15 years after the "event" so we don't have to go through the tedious process of watching everyone learn cope without their iPhones (and millions of people starving would probably run off a broadcast audience). Can NBC make The Walking Dead work without zombies? Or Jericho without Netflix? We shall see...

One thing's for sure, Giancarlo Esposito will steal the show. :D

6. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Also with the exceptions of Felicity, Alias, the first couple of seasons of Fringe, and Person of Interest.

8. Temis the Vorta

I think the jury is waaay out in Revolution. The "mystery" could be resolved within the first season, and be a springboard to some other sort of show, maybe more Jericho-like, with a big civil war brewing. Just because Netflix is possibly reviving Jericho doesn't mean NBC can't do a similar story.

As for the bow and arrow, well, some folks have crossbows and Twilight Dad has a sword. Those are the types of weapons they'd have to use, and there's no law that says someone can't get good at it, with a lawless society as motivation and 15 years to practice.

Personally, I'd opt for the crossbow.

Infamous trailer is up - hmm, I was going to give it a miss - didn't care for ABC's Revenge, which is very similar - but I might check this one out.

9. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I forgot about Person of Interest. Consider me corrected. Is Abrams even involved in the show anymore?

Still, I wouldn't invest much in an expensive JJ Abrams show. Alias was one of my favorite shows but was never a ratings hit.

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

He hasn't been a hands-on showrunner in a long time on any show, nor will he play that role on Revolution.

Everything is relative. Alias wasn't an enormous hit, but it was nonetheless a reasonable hit in the ratings by ABC's standards at the time.

11. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Huh. There's not a single returning show on NBC that I watch, or want to watch. Of the new stuff, only Revolution sounds mildly interesting, and that really doesn't excite me much. Pretty bland fair, overall.

Looks like Michael Shanks' "Saving Hope" debuts on NBC as summer filler. I'm interested in that only for Shanks; it seems far too soapy to get very far.

12. Temis the Vorta

13. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

It doesn't surprise me at all that Smash isn't on NBC's schedule for the fall because of two things:
    1) Season 2 will be exactly the same length as Season 1 (15 episodes)
    2) The show's premise makes it perfect as a mid-season series

14. Temis the Vorta

NBC greenlight their pirate series: Crossbones. Mostly likely will debut in spring 2013 with ten episodes. If it flops, that's a nice miniseries anyway.

15. Temis the Vorta

Jon Favreau, who directed the Revolution pilot, discusses its tone.

Definitely smart of them to go for an optimistic tone on network TV. PS, Jon, LOTR is not a TV show :p (tho if you have something in mind...?)

16. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

What I find surprising about the fall lineup, that most people probably won't give much notice to, is that The Biggest Loser isn't there. The article says that NBC is "revising" it and that it will reappear later, but if any of you out there besides me have been following the show, you know that it never takes a break between seasons. It's become somewhat of a joke actually, that as soon as one season ends, the next premieres almost immediately. So to see that it is suddenly absent from the fall lineup after a flurry of back-to-back seasons is kind of surprising.

Whatever they do to the show, I hope they improve it. It really has become kind of terrible in the past couple of seasons, with several contestants leaving the show for reasons that are never revealed but we can assume have to do with some "behind the scenes" production disputes, and the casting leaning more towards strategy-driven arrogant a-holes. When they used to only cast sweethearts with progressively worse sob stories, it was gimmicky, but at least they didn't make you want to change the channel out of pure irritation. The show has been able to differentiate itself from most other reality TV in the past by playing up the sentimentality rather than strategy and cutthroat drama (so, more of an Extreme Makeover: Home Edition rather than Big Brother feel to it). I hope they return to those roots.

17. Temis the Vorta

Some full trailers, including a well-made one for Chicago Fire. But, still no sale here, but I personally don't think watching firefighting every week is at all appealling, no matter how much Uncle Mason takes his shirt off.

18. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well that was easy won't be watching anything in the fall on NBC. All the shows I was interested in sampling--Infamous, Do No Harm--premiere after the start of the new year.
    Bleh....In other words a show with a frustrating mythology that swallows up the show and that will drag out answers and if by chance they get around to them they'll be underwhelming or lame. Yeah Pass.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't get why NBC doesn't just do two comedy nights instead of comedies randomly placed at stupid times.

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Revolution looks fantastic BUT very short viewer attention spans + NBC = cancellation sadly. However the post Voice slot may help it in the short term.