The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then they need to start clearing more land for more farming. Does double duty: gives you more defensible space. Woods BAD open space GOOD! :D

But I'm sure the "real" reason will manifest itself soon...

2. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Next up: Zombie catapult contests, aka "walker chunkin'."

3. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I think it's inevitable that they do. It seems like a confrontation between Rick and Shane will happen at some point, and that will probably be the motivator.

And if this show had any decent sort of realism, the baby would more than likely be Shane's. It might seem like it's been a long time since they were together, but I think Rick has only been back with Lori for a little over a week. That's not really enough time for a pregnancy test to be effective.

Plus, it just makes sense with Lori asking Shane to stay around and everything.

4. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

With those clothes and haircut I thought he looked like he stepped out of Of Mice And Men. I half expect him to ask to see the rabbits.

5. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm guessing that the farm hasn't been attacked because the family has largely kept to themselves, in a house on a large tract of empty land surrounded by forest. Zombies aren't strictly attracted to anything except sound (and POSSIBLY light) and it doesn't look like they tend to pick big empty spaces to sit down and wait for the next bit of meat to wander along. Perhaps zombies have agoraphobia as a certain level of instinct?

Mark

6. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

They've got way more farmland than they could ever handle with only one or two able-bodied women. I'm betting Hershel's got at least a couple thousand acres which could easily feed a few hundred people.

It's amazing Rick never mentioned that in arguing to stay. Farming without modern equipment sure as hell isn't going to be easy.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^land is not the only limitation.

8. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

For anyone who might be curious how the comics handled this:
    In the comics, since Shane is already dead by the time they realize that Lori is pregnant, the question of who is the father is basically shrugged aside. Rick briefly addresses the topic by saying he couldn't handle having a definitive answer when Lori attempts to discuss it, and from there after it's a non-issue.

9. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I think the reason Hershel doesn't want them on the farm is going to be sinister. He's comment about not talking about some of his reasons makes me think that something is up. I don't trust the guy.

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't even know about the comic before the show was announced. And since then, I've been avoiding finding out what happens in the comic, to maximize my viewing pleasure. I intend to pick up the comics in one or more volumes after the show is over. (If it's not, or no longer available, in that form by then, screw it.)

I'm guessing the swimmer in the well escaped from something, by swimming underwater. This seems more likely to me, than that a wandering walker fell into the well.

The old man is a vet, you know. Maybe he's experimenting, using captured humans. As soon as our heroes showed up, maybe he didn't commence with experimenting on Sophia, but couldn't release her either since she'd talk.

But something doesn't add up. If the vet is powerful, why doesn't he just capture everybody? If he's not powerful, how is his farm protected? Maybe he's made some sort of discovery about how to control the zombies? (These are rhetorical questions; I can wait to find out the answers in due course.)

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Herschel's reasons probably come straight from the comic.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read on wikipedia what was going on at the farm, and that does seem to be the direction they're going in at this point. I'm curious to see how it's going to play out on the show.

13. Temis the Vorta

Commenting just on your theories, no actual spoilers (I don't know any):

...sounds like an interesting direction for the show, but the well had a big hole in the center of the lid, suggesting the fat zombie just wandered across it and crashed through.

14. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Timmy! Timmy, I tell you!

Was he fat or just waterlogged?

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looked more like he was waterlogged.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Commenting on your comments to my theories, no actual spoilers (I don't know any either):

Good point. But since the farm girl didn't mention the hole, I had just assumed that the hole had been there for ages, perhaps wrongly. Still, I guess a dumb zombie could just wander into an open hole.

I hope there's some payoff to the farm, something dramatic.

17. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, maybe the farm is covered by those little solar powered, low frequency sound pegs that keep gophers out.

Zombie repellent....

18. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

<delete>

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  19. Temis the Vorta

He had a pretty big pot belly, I think he was already fat. :rommie:

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That would be hilarious. What a great idea. :rommie: