Star Trek: The Doomsday Machine - Special Edition Screencaps

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Professor Moriarty, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Hey Proff, any chance of you tackling any of the other eps after this one? Perhaps Balance of Terror?

2. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Oh lordy, let's try and get through this one first! :lol:

3. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

The first one is always the toughest. After that it's all down hill easy. ;)

4. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My God that Doomsday machine is huge... almost as big as Abrams' ship. :devil:

5. GilmourD

GilmourD Commander Red Shirt

Any luck on the orthos of the Constellation? :p

6. Professor Moriarty

I'm dealing with a few (ahem) issues right now... check the blog for more details.

7. Cary L. Brown

whatabunchamaroons... :rolleyes:

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

those jerks :mad:

9. Professor Moriarty

Well, I think I have it all sorted out. When Act II is finished I'll post the entire episode through the end of the act on my site, but at a reduced resolution (prolly 480x320). The new F/X shots will be separately posted at full 480p resolution as an F/X clip reel.

As usual my estimation skills and real life have conspired to push the premiere date back into sometime in September... I know, I suck! Here's a pretty picture for you until then.

[​IMG]

10. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

That is a VERY cool picture! :bolian: Between you and Deg, I just have a plethora of new wallpaper options these days. ;)

Interesting choice you made with the "globes" (for lack of a better term) at the aft end of the nacelles. I like that they have texture ... only ... they sort of remind me of a hanging lamp my aunt had in her livingroom, circa 1975. *ducks and runs* :devil:

11. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks Professor, that's a wonderful shot!

And if you listen closely, you can hear the red alert klaxon!

12. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

I guess I'll have to join you on the "duck and runs" because I thought the exact same thing when I looked at the full size picture. Looks exactly like a lamp shade from my Grandmother's house as a youth. (circa 70's). :shifty:

Q2UnME

13. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Only thing I would change on this model would be to put the FJ visible phaser ports (dorsal and ventral saucer) and a visible torpedo tube on the under-saucer. Excellent CG work, PM.

James

14. Professor Moriarty

LOL... I guess my little sneak-tweak of whatever that aft warp nacelle sphere is called isn't exactly a hit with the audience :D. I was trying to add a little more visual interest to what otherwise was a large, plain white ball.

Actually, there are faintly-visible hatches for the weapon arrays on the saucer; you just can't see them from this angle. You can see the aft weapon ports though--look closely at the three hatches that are flush on the fantail just below and flanking the hangar clamshell doors.

15. Soar_Dude

Soar_Dude Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like the texturing on the hemispheres. I would change the intersection point so that its inline with the nacelle and not pointing down.

16. TrekkieMonster

Just for the record, I'm absolutely not saying that I don't like it. It just tickled me that it immediately reminded me of this particular lamp that I remembered. If it helps, my Aunt was always quite fashionable and in vogue ..., even in the '70s. :cool:

17. Cary L. Brown

Well, the rest of your ship has a ton of wonderful, subtle detail. To me, this sphere is the "magic" bit of the ship... the part that creates the actual "warp effect." As such, the idea that it seems positively surreal... pure, untextured, almost unreal... when combined with other hardware which feels very, very real... is a great combination.

FYI, my take on the sphere is that it's a big "solid state" device in a uniform, solid ceramic covering. But the "ceramic" it's made from would be something extraordinarily esoteric, possibly even using some "magic" form of matter we don't currently have access to?

This also can be conveyed by your texture, sure... but the "totally featureless, textureless, SHADOWLESS, sphere" is something I think does that trick even better.
    I love your approach to the weapons doors, and I've used something very similar on my own version... almost indistinguishable on the p-hull. In my case, I put the aft weapons ON the "fantail deck" (just below the hangar doors)... a single torpedo tube at the c/l and a phaser to either side, in the open areas defined by the landing light array. I like having them there, rather than in the "fantail cove," because the cove has a much larger "blind zone" and a smaller potential field of fire. Most people put the weapons in the "cove," but your approach, while different from mine in a few details, is essentially on the same page.

18. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

I'm drooling at just the thought of what he could do with "The Tholian Web"... :drool:

19. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

The aft sphere is a 'space normalizer', which I guess is the component that corrects the warp field 'on the way out'.. (though it begs the question why it wasn't there for the first two iterations). It WAS just a painted sphere, though... I would, personally, go for a dim glow in it, and look at some sort of super-subtle 'hex-sphere' pattern or something to add a hint of texture.

But, me? I always preferred the second version grill assembly anyway. It had more detail and looked a lot more believable to me that a Christmas bulb.

20. TrekkieMonster

What? How dare you!!! Don't you know that the single most important component of the TOS warp drive was Christmas bulbs! :wtf:

It's canon! :klingon:

:p