Starting Breaking Bad (NO SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Mr Light, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

He saved Walt's life from the cartel... and I made that post before he killed his own guy with a box cutter :p That was really brutal, for some reason the fact that there was no sound effect for the slicing made it even more revolting!

2. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He didn't save Walt's life because he cared about him, he did it because Walt's product was making him millions of dollars, and sending the cousins after a DEA officer was all part of Gus's larger play to break the influence of the Cartel so he could rule the meth trade in the region. When Walt became an inconvenience, Gus ordered Mike to kill him.

3. TheMurph

TheMurph Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just wanted to say, I only began watching Breaking Bad during a Netflix Marathon session this weekend. Brilliant show, love it. I like the progression the show has made with the characters, very organic.

Though most interesting part for me was in Season 3, where he was in the limbo state between likable Walt, and criminal Heisenberg. Bryan Cranston is a fantastic actor.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Starting 4X4 now.

I'm enjoying the show more now, maybe I'm not watching it in five hour blocks anymore :p I feel like Walt is becoming a more rational and sympathetic character again as his actions are done out of fear for his life and he's reconnecting with his wife again. The money is directly for his family again, and for brother-in-law's medical bills, so it's a more 'human' motivation again.

My favorite character is Mike, the calm and put-upon hitman. He's really funny :lol: Also Saul. And Gus. So basically none of the main characters haha

I'm still waiting for the cancer to come back. I think it being in remission for over a season was a mistake as it robs his original motivation from him. I think I'd be safe in assuming it will come back in the end of course. Maybe S4 ends with the terminal prognosis...

5. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

That was the whole point though - he hasn't had his original excuse for ages, but he still does it. Part of the genius of the show is that there is no gimmick or mechanism which allows us access to Walts feelings, so his real motivation remains a mystery. What is he really doing all this for?

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

He lived a pretty unextraordinary life before this, and he takes this perverse pride in the quality of his meth. He feels like he's accomplishing something important. But I like that now (early S4) it's going back to providing for his family. I felt like he was a real asshole for a long time there in S3 when he was fighting with Skyler, so I'm glad they're working together again.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure I would call Walter's and Skylar's relationship in season 4 working together, so much as Skylar has surrendered his will.

She's got full blown Stockholm Syndrome.

8. cultcross

Yeah, Mr Light, I'm not convinced you are interpreting the dynamic of season 4 in the most common way!

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Well I'm only 4 eps in, but she's actively working with him on the car wash thing and coming up with ideas for it. She's volunteering her involvement. It's a sight better than her calling the cops on Walt just because he's in their house.

10. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

He is portrayed as an extremely prideful man though, who reacts with great anger at the slightest hint that anybody may be getting the better of him. That pride was probably always there, but just directed into more benign feelings of responsibility towards his family. Then it was directed into the quality of his product, now it is directed simply into being the most feared, respected, and powerful man he can become.

I think his arrogance is primarily what drives him now, and it has been that way since fairly early on in the show. Any noble intentions were washed away as he became more ashamed of the weak, mundane man he used to be, and more aware of the fact that he loves being the bad guy, and loves being the winner. Or more accurately, hates being the loser.

11. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I think the scene early in season 1 where the bullies were taking the piss out of Walter Jr. and he left then came back and battered them is the exact moment that happened

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

His motivations are clear to me. He wants to be the archetypal man, like a character from a Sergio Leone movie.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Just started 4X8. Fourth season is by far my favorite, I find the story of working under Gus and Mike a lot more involving than the previous premises, Walt is a more sympathetic character this year, I like the relationship with his wife now, Jesse is a better character... I like the increased screen time of Saul, Gus, and Mike, my favorite characters...

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

You are the exact opposite of every other fan of the show I have seen and it's like a case study reading what you are saying. :lol:

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I have unique perspectives on things :p ;)

What I really like are "evil" characters who are good and noble... that's what I gravitate towards.

16. cultcross

And I think you're inserting that into the show because you like that sort of thing, if I'm honest. Season 4 Walt is far from noble, and his relationship with his wife is a deeply abusive one. He is becoming a monster, to the extent that even those who were his allies in crime are beginning to fear him.

17. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Yeah, season 4 is the point at which Walt is at his least relatable. The point at which he is a monster. An Abusive, child poisoning, spouse raping, murdering monster.

18. Pingfah

I am astonished anybody would call S4 Walt a sympathetic character. I don't mean to be rude, but it's like he's watching a totally different show. Almost everything Walt does by this point is motivated entirely by self-interest and even malice.

I simply can't see how anybody could read the show like this.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I think I just read a spoiler.... well I have four eps left in the season :p ;) I'm just saying he's a better character than he was in S2-3 when I was getting disconnected from the show. He just said in the last one I saw "everything I do is for my family".

20. Pingfah

Oh well, if Walt says it, it must be true.