DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I've really appreciated it, thanks for taking the time. :cool:

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

If you do it please include some double hard returns between blocks of text, or your bullet points. It makes it a lot easier to read.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope by "surprise" that doesn't mean fans are going to be pissed off with whatever they do with Babs origin. LOL. I have zero interest with what Geoff Johns is doing with the Justice League. Sigh.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm going to be working all day today so I won't be able to follow the liveblogs. They're putting them up on the DC Blog if you want to follow them yourselves.

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Read Swamp Thing #11 and the first full confrontation with Arcane and his Un-Men. Along with Abigail and the reforming Parliament of Trees. The conclusion that shows The Bakers, Animal Man all needing Holland to follow them into the Rot should make for some good reading in ST and AM #12 next month. The way they are drawing ST with a type of woody helmet with horns is finally adjusting to me.

Demon Knights #11 - while I've enjoyed the book I'm not finding myself just eagerly on pins/needles for the next issue. When this next story wraps I placing it on the consideration for dropping and moving to TPB list.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I think this issue of DK kinda confirms that Al Jabr is Ra's.

7. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

If it's not will we care who Al Jabr is then? Probably not which is why Ra's is still the safe bet.

9. Derishton

I pegged him for someone from Stormwatch, but I did note the Big Geological Feature in this issue.

I love Demon Knights, maybe because I study modern Arthurian adaptation, and it;s nice to see one as clever as this.

10. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

That's it. I give up. It's official now, I hate the New 52. I was sceptical from the beginning, with the costume changes and all, but I tried. By now, I've read the two Superman titles, "Justice League", "Green Arrow", "Stormwatch" and the first three issues of "Wonder Woman", and aside from Grant Morrison's "Action", it all ranged from mediocre to "Oh god, make it stop!". "Superman" is solid superhero stuff, but nothing special. "Green Arrow" has always been the strongest when it's been down-to-earth social criticism, but except for the Web 2.0 villains in the first story, it all was too far out to actually work. The "Justice League" was all "Fight each other, ask questions later", which is how the Avengers work. I know the Avengers are hip, and I like them a lot myself, but the JL imitating the Avengers makes my guts hurt. "Stormwatch" was alright, but paled in comparison to what the title and "The Authority" were before the New 52, and not even J'onn and Paul Cornell could make that up (actually, J'onn's presence actually hurt, because it always reminded me of the fact he was not in the damned Justice League). And there's a reason I stopped reading WW after just three issues. Zeus' daughter?! Man, that felt like a punch in my face. Seriously, such a move so early after the reboot only serves to make the old fans angry, because the new readers won't even realize what the fuzz is about.

And now, Captain Marvel's not even named Captain Marvel anymore. It wasn't enough to turn Billy Batson into a traumatized, bitter and violent little brat, they also had to screw up the superhero part.

I know, as a humanist and a fan of old school DC heroes, I shouldn't, but I wish someone punched Geoff Johns & co. in the face so they could see how it feels.

And, yes, Morrison's "Action" is great, and I've heard good things about "Aquaman", "The Flash", "Swamp Thing" and "Animal Man", but that doesn't make up for all the horrible decisions made.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

DC can't use the name Captain Marvel any more...but yeah, his characterization has been not great at all. Basically right now I'm down to I believe six books "Action Comics", "Aquaman", "Batman", "Batman and Robin", "Batman Incorporated", and "Wonder Woman". I miss the DCU more than I have had interest in the New 52.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Aside from Green Lantern, Batman, Batman and Robin, and Action Comics... I'm extremely disappointed with the reboot. I miss the old continuity.

13. Kai "the spy"

That doesn't make any sense. Granted, they couldn't use it in their titles or advertising, but the character has been there with that name long before Marvel came up with their Captain Marvel (which they only did so they could get that trademark).

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

They CAN use it inside books, not on covers. I think they're just moving away from using it in the books so to be consistent with the covers. From a business point of view, not a bad decisions. From a nostalgia point of view: el sucko.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Man, I'm still on a good number of books and have even picked up more since the Second Wave started, I've been enjoying pretty much everything I've been reading. (Though two of the Batman titles I'm following will be dropped when done with the current arcs. I've got to cut back somewhere.)

But, I'm not asking for much and I find it easier to get into without the weight of all of the backstories and such from the years I've not been reading comics. It just feels good to have something of a "fresh start" from which to start over again.

16. Kai "the spy"

^ I'm not complaining about rebooting the DCU. I'm complaining about how they did it, or rather its results.

17. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Most of these childish complaints boil down to nostalgia and continuity, the two things killing the comics industry.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Very true. I been reading comics for 40 years. Seen a lot of changes. Bottom line is enjoy the stories and don't get caught up in the nostalgia and minutia.

19. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^ Agreed. Have been reading a collecting for 34 years and have seen continuity come and go and still enjoy reading my books every month. I have definitely enjoyed this reboot the most since the one done for COIE. All the others inbetween were very half assed compared to this. I am seeing more new facets explored with characters than in a long time and while I dont agree with all the changes(Firestorm, Storm Watch, a few others) I am really enjoying most of the line.

20. Derishton

I'm still buying Wonder Woman, Action, Demon Knights, All Star Western, Justice League Dark, Justice League, Worlds' Finest, I Vampire, and Frankenstein. Sometimes DC Presents, and I usually catch up on Aquaman eventually.