Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I'm going to get the first DD trade by Waid. I've been flipping through it on the stand.
    The last page from this issue was a nice spot read.

The first actual issue I'll buy is next issue for the Omega event.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Daredevil" has been awesome. Waid was the perfect choice for this book and new direction after the abysmal Shadowland and Reborn. I've been enjoying it immensely, especially the Spidey crossover and the developments with Felicia.

Hickman is going to be hugely missed when he leaves Fantastic Four. I've stated this before many times, but he THE reason why I've returned to the First Family! Val is such a great character, it is obvious that he cares about her a lot. He's made them relevant again as far as I'm concerned and understands the fundamentals about what makes them so great as well. I hope whoever Marvel has on deck to succeed him can do something with them...because I had no interest in them before hand, even when Millar was aboard.

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Hickman is probably going to be the writers on Avengers when Bendis leaves.

4. Admiral_Young

Ooooohh...wait...one of them? I know Brevoort stated they know who Bendis's replacement on "Avengers" is already, are you implying there is going to be a dual writing team?? I'm assuming "New Avengers" will discontinue since that was a Bendis created book.

Avenging Spider-Man #5: I think this is my favourite issue of the book so far. Peter and Steve connecting with one another...and going back to Steve's routes as a comic book artist, and Peter's routes as a scientist. The art is great and it was great seeing the "downtime" banter between the team and just hanging around.

5. Captain Craig

Sometimes we trade off on agreement of a good issue. Since last issue with Hawkeye we parted ways I'm optimistic we'll be back on the same page with this issue. I got I migrane last night after my birthday dinner with my friends and didn't do any reading. :scream:

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Next week's releases...

Small week for me--

Avengers Academy 26
    Avengers vs. X-Men 1
    Daredevil 10.1

7. Admiral_Young

FF#16: Let me count the ways I love Hickman's FF run...actually I think I may have done that several times in this thread! Oh man. Foundation space station? Customized Future Foundation costumes? Johnny and Peter's conversation? Val being scolded about her lying and deception? The gift she left for Uncle Doom? Galen and Franklin in space!!! Awesomeness!!! Next issue we deal with Peter's future on the FF.

Next weeks pulls:

-Amazing Spider-Man #683
    -Age of Apocalypse #2
    -Avengers Vs X-Men #1
    -Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #9
    -Wolverine and the X-Men #9
    -Venom #15

8. Turtletrekker

OK, I was in the vicinity of my comic book store today and picked up the books that I missed on Wednesday.

Avengers 24.1-- Yeah, I liked this one and wish that I had read this before AvX 0. Vision's return at the begining of the Osborn arc was very abrupt, like, "Hey, look everyone, The Vision is back! Avengers Assemble!" This issue was more like, "OK, take a breath. The Vision is back. What does that mean and who does it affect?" His reunion with She-Hulk was touching, and I hope this means that we will be seeing more of Jen in The Avengers books. I've always liked this version of The Vision and didn't really realize how much I missed him till this issue, so it's good to have him back.

Captain America and Bucky 628-- A decent finish to the Adam III arc. I'm a big fan of the original run of The Invaders, so it's always nice to see an obscure character like Fred Davis get some time in the spotlight. I won't be sticking around for this title's switch-over to "Captain America and Hawkeye" next issue. My monthly commitment to one "Captain America" book a month suddenly became three books, and since the main Cap book and Winter Soldier aren't going anywhere in my pull-list, it's time to bid this book a fond farewell. I wish it luck.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished Avenging Spider-Man 5.

Steve and Pete bond because they were geeks at school.

Two things got me.

1. Pete talks about how he was bullied at school, and Steve fails to mention that he just made the bully pete was talking about, Flash Thompson, an Avenger too, piloting the venom symbionat in Secret Avengers, which they have weaponized after suppressing the nasty buggers personality...

2. There's all this talk about how Wee little Stevey Rogers gave up being a comic book artist to become Captain America. Fuck that. In the 80s, "our" 80s, Steve was first a comercial artist, and then he was actually the artist for Captain America at Marvel, and I quote "Becuase i know how I fight, I can be the best Captain America Comic Book arrtist ever!"

By the way, did you know that in 616, that it's Jarvis who annotates the Avengers less than secret missions/battles for Marvel Comics in a weekly phone call to the bullpen? Which anyway you look at it means that Jarvis writes all of Marvel Comics comics for Marvel.

Whenever Edwin went bad... The red Cowl and shit, fuck me but those would have been some dark comics that were being produced in those months... Or, after Mr Hyde tied him to that chair and beat on him for a couple hours... Jarvis et All Marvel would have been merciless about Hyde being a sissy with erectile dysfunction and odour issues for the next... Well, forever.

It was a really good story, but it couldn't have happened and someone should have stopped Zeb before he got past the brainstorming stage.

10. Admiral_Young

^ Except that Flash Thompson and Peter are practically best friends now and have put aside their past :) Although I fully expect a story down the line where they both discover each other's identities (Flash for the second time of course) Slott and Remender have teased this in both books.

11. Guy Gardener

I started reading comics when Flash was accused of secretly being the Hobgoblin.

Good times.

Although, Flash should have been red flagged for any extended access by anyone anywhere because he had been Doctor Dooms "prisoner" for long enough to be brain washed and implanted with viruses or curses that doom could activate as a doomsday contingency.

Avenging Spider-Man this month was rooted in who everyone was and not who they are.

I wonder if there are any really old bullies, who after his secret identity became public knowledge relished their memories of beating the shit of Captain America? not claiming that they are villains, but considering how few people on the planet can claim honestly to have won a fight with Captain America, it's a gold level of exclusivity.

12. Admiral_Young

I remember when Flash was accused of being Hobby...that led to Ned Leeds death didn't it Personally Guy and no offense, I think the issue's point was that it was touching on who these two men are now and they were reflecting on the kids they once were. I get what you're saying, but don't think Wells was ignoring anything here.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  13. Guy Gardener

You know when someone tries to say something but they accidentally say something else even though they used all the right words they wanted to because they were sure...

Zeb was ignorant about some important facts.

Becuase of this, I think Cap has some brain damage.

Rogers has forgotten that he used to be an artist at Marvel Comics.

That's years of his life that just vanished.

Repeated blunt force trauma has taken it's toll, or a telepath has been monkeying about between his wings?

Good lord!

He thinks Jim Hammond killed Hitler!

Maybe it's dementia?

Despite appearances, he is quite old.

14. Captain Craig

Flash allegedly as Hobby and buddy to Peter was my first reading of Flash. I had to read older issues to explore "bully" Flash.

I liked Avenging Spider-man #5 good enough, the best stuff was the "sitting around" with the Avengers that we sometimes got on the first edition of New Avengers. Seems the dynamic with Avengers currently is to turn Spider-man/Hawkeye into a type of Spider-man/Johnny Storm dynamic. Almost as if Peter has to find that person in a group to bounce off of.

Ghost Rider #9 - Despite two art teams I liked the art throughout, seemed to flow out of Circle of Four good as well. Alejandra was able to right her wrong and restore the souls she took in error while under Adam's control...who is also revealed to not be dead after the issue #4 space station explosion issue. Adam is also not Blackheart, as he tried to imply to Alejandra during Co4, a devilish lie I take it then. Alejandra was a much more direct vengeance type of GR. She fought Mephisto in a nice full double page spread and ripped out his proverbial "heart", which she uses to barter for those Nicaraguan souls.
    She is prepared to sacrifice herself in order that those souls get vengeance but Blaze will not allow that. With a mystic bullet from Mephisto he shoots her in the head, while GR, and then dives into the hellfire lake to save her. With all this Vengeance Energy in limbo Blaze is once again attached as host to the GR. Although we don't really know what type host. Blaze notes that Alejandra is free of Zarathos but she as well as retained some type of "Rider Residue"(my term, it's not really given one in the issue). She has a type of fiery head but not a skull and she looks leprous and is not happy that Blaze wouldn't let her perish. I'm glad she isn't dead. Maybe she can be redeemed and be a type of Rider again...like Danny.

There is an epilogue by the writer and he states that his intent is for Alejandra to now be a foe. That was ambiguous in the closing panels, maybe way he stated it. We'll see what future writers do with her I suppose. With Blaze back as GR I wonder how long we'll have to wait for a new GR series? At least till 2013 for sure.

15. Admiral_Young

I enjoyed the downtime banter the most from the issue as well. It is rare when it happens and usually saved for "filler" issues or spin off books like Avenging. Clint's good natured ribbing of Peter was fun as well, as was Jess's quip about his costume.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm confused Guy are you literally, seriously saying that Steve Rogers was an artist at Marvel Comics in the actual continuity???

17. Turtletrekker

^Yes, he was. I remember that as well. The book he drew was even Captain America, for that matter. IIRC, it was in the Gruenwald run, pre- John Walker Cap.

18. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Remember the weird "Marvels Comics" they put out in--I think it was the late 90's--which were supposed to be what the content of the Marvel Universe comics really were? I think there was a Fantastic Four book which was fairy close because it was "officially licensed" and then Thor and X-Men books that were pretty off the mark because the writers had to make it all up.

19. Guy Gardener

Bingo.

The real irony was that the bloke drawing Captain America drawing Captain America was a bit shit.

(See! Turtle doesn't think I'm crazy. :))

He used to use one of those A2 art-folder briefcases to carry his shield.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  20. Turtletrekker

UPS left one of my LCS's boxes at the warehouse, so I won't get Avengers Academy until tomorrow. :(

Daredevil 10.1-- A great recap of the story to date and an entertaining read to boot. I LOL'd at Daredevil barging in on the Mega-Crime meeting at the Lateverian embassy to ask the leaders what is taking them so long to destroy him. :lol:

The way DD took out Black Spectre so totally and easily shows the reader exactly what Matt has in the Omega-drive and why Mega-crime is so anxious to get it back. Also, this should take the heat off of Felicia's back.

Those who are planning on jumping in with the DD/Spidey/Punisher team-up might do well to pick up this issue as well.

It really is a good time to be a fan of this DD run. with 10 out last week and 10.1 this week and the crossover starting next week, that's going to be five consecutive weeks of Daredevil goodness in a row. :)

AvX 1-- I'll say more in the other thread, but to me, it seems like both Cap and Cyclops are kind of being jerks here. :wtf: