Aren't we due for the next "Vanguard" novel?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by darkwing_duck1, Apr 7, 2008.

1. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

I keep looking for it and I don't see any sign of it...

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

3. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

I thank you...

4. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know why,but Vanguard has fast become my favourite Trek incarnation.As I have said before it seems like Trek being done by HBO.
    Really looking forward to the next installment.....not something I get to say about Treklit too much anymore.

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

my youngest elder sister read them over the last week or so and whined when i told her #4 wasn't out til next year.

she bitched about the book scheduling, so i told her what the authors say on here *adopts authoratitve voice* 'the books are split between like ten series, there's not really been more books of any one series than another except in '06 for TOS' 40th and last year for TNG's 20th and besides, if you read other authors you only get one book a year if you're lucky and it's amazing that Trek's books are going strong when the shows are dead and some tie-in lines barely manage three books a year...'

6. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

^ and what was her reply? :)

7. JAG

JAG Vice Admiral Admiral

It's unlikely to be anything you can post in a forum like this.

8. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

^ I've been informed by the admins that this is no longer a PG-13 - or even R - rated board language-wise.

Aside from the Star Wars series (which I read only occasionally) and the now-defunct Harry Potter septalogy, the non-Star Trek series I follow consist only of the works of dead authors (mostly science fiction writers of the 20th Century, more than a few of whom regularly produced two or more novels a year, along with short works, but who will of course never write again).

Weirdly, though fewer Star Wars novels are released every year, I find the progress of that line more satisfying than Star Trek's. Aside from A Time To Kill, A Time To Heal, The Good That Men Do, Serpents Among the Ruins, and Crucible (particularly Provenance of Shadows), I've not liked any new Star Trek novel published this decade which wasn't either part of the Deep Space Nine relaunch or an installment of the Vanguard series. I haven't yet read Diane Duane's The Empty Chair, so that list may grow by one more (I loved The Romulan Way), but altogether, the Star Trek novel line has been less than I'd hoped, especially while the series I enjoy have produced only one novel between them in the last two years.

Alas, 2001-2003, when the relaunch produced four novels a year.

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

They haven't thrown darts at the What Random Book Series Do We Publish Dartboard... give it time. :p

10. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Er... actually, they don't use the dartboard anymore. Not since there was a bit of 'sabotage' after one the janitorial staff 'accidently' took it down for a night. (In retrospect, making half the board DS9-R may have been too obvious... :o)

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

11. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I've been here for eight years. This was NEVER a PG-13/R board as far as language went. There were never any restrictions, other than keeping it out of the titles.

On topic - I look forward to the next Vanguard books and I too deplore less Trek books being published.

12. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

My apologies, my impressions were based on the old FAQ (which referenced movie ratings, IIRC) and the previously somewhat tamer (if not quite PG-13/R, as is inevitable in uncensored systems) board of the period of the TNZ crackdowns. I also didn't intend to be snide, if I may have come across that way. I'm not pleased with the increase in ribaldry on the board, but recognize it as my preference.

13. Kevin Dilmore

Kevin Dilmore Captain Captain

Have you looked over here?

Bubba D.

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

basically, she shut up. she may've of gone 'er...uh...' but i forget...