Transformers Age of Extinction Pre-release thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Mar 5, 2014.

1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    As a Brit, even I get a little choked at the sight of a slo-mo Stars and Stripes.

Bay does it better than anyone (bar Team Amurica)

ps: Locutus' new avatar just made me lol :lol:

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's Michael Bay, what else do you expect?

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, see, the anti-americanism comes in when you find yourself actually giving a shit how many american flags are shown in a trailer/movie about giant transforming robots beating up on other giant transforming robots.

Thousands of people throughout history have died defending the flag and the republic it represents. Nobody died for Megan Fox's or Rosie Huntington-whitely's asses.

The scenes of the US military doing its stuff have been among the best of the entire series. In a Godzilla movie which would you rather see: a Bell Jet Ranger traffic copter or the Super X?

Like I said in my last post...

4. Trekker4747

It's not anti-Americanism to roll your eyes when you're having it literally shoved down your face. Anything is unpalatable at that level. Hey, I love America. I have me some Americanism in me. But Bay takes it too far when there are so many shot of an American Flag in a single two-minute long trailer. Army recruitment commercials don't have that many shots of an American flag.

It's too much, not to mention ignores the fact that the movie is going to play to an international audience who maybe aren't too keen on the "America, FUCK YEAH!" thing.

5. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Yikes, that's pretty emotional for something as benign as people commenting on the number of flags in a trailer. Do you always get so pissy when people make simple observations?

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the first Transformers, but didn't like the sequels. This looks like a step up. Hopefully it'll be a fun movie. And I'm fine with the number of flags in the trailer. :)

7. Trekker4747

So is this a direct sequel or a reboot?

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you a member of the armed forces? Because I am, and, going by the clearly expressed values of the Bayformers movies, this makes me an expert on national virtue, and thus the ideal person to weigh in on whether the number of American flags in this trailer meets the "childish" threshold.

... And my expert conclusion is, heck yes, it does. :p

Eh, I'm not too upset about that. They probably find it funny. Bay may be as obnoxious as his Mystery Men character, but at least his movies have a demented sort of personality, unlike some other Hasbro travesties I could mention.

9. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

That's an idiotic definition of what constitutes anti-Americanism then. The kind of idiotic definition befitting people who think the size of the flag pin on your lapel is actually some measure of how much you care about your country and its citizens, rather than your actions as a public servant.

Also, I don't "give a shit" about it, I find it funny. In case you missed it in your rush to be angry about every non-existent slight against America (which, as it turns out, is not represented by Transformers), I was jokingly and sarcastically making fun of Michael Bay, not seriously contemplating the issue like it's a huge deal. It has no bearing on whether I'll see the movie or not. So, again, get a grip.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Bay:Flags::Abrams:Lens Flares

11. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Quasi-related pairs for $400?

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

13. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Anyone here think that Grimlock being a horned t-rex (probably an element drawn from Asian dragons) is part of Hasbro's attempts to market this better in Asia?

14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

15. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is all the same until Bay & Paramount no longer have anything to do with it.

16. Enterprise1701

17. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

18. Enterprise1701

19. Flying Spaghetti Monster

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral