The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    ^
    There probably is. I wouldn't doubt it. I remember hearing from time to time about men and women who collect sex toys and have what amount to sizeable collections of pleasure items and devices ranging across the years and even decades. I think there was even a segment on the old Comedy Central MAN SHOW(Adam Carrolla, Jimmy Kimmel version) here in the States where one of the guys visited a lady who had a substantial collection of sex toys.

A lot of them had to be blurred out on screen for being too offensive, even for cable. :lol:

2. cooleddie74

The first Carbonite Chamber set just showed up. Awesome. Great figures. I'm really enjoying the retro-looking cardfronts on the new wave of figures inside, and even the goofy Carbonite Jar Jar "figure"(actually just a molded, sculpted carbonite block with Jar Jar's likeness on it) is a lot of fun. The block pops out and you can flip it around to represent the carbonite after Jar Jar has been thawed out. :)

Really digging the new "Emperor's Wrath" Vader. You can see his realistic-looking skull and even eyes through the translucent helmet. Creepy. But fun.

3. cooleddie74

The long-awaited Vintage Collection Emperor's Royal Guard, which features a swappable helmet and shoulder armor as well as the head of Kir Kanos from the CRIMSON EMPIRE graphic novels, giving an added treat to fans of Expanded Universe lore. This will make for quite the army builder provided that enough of the Guard ship to retail in the first place.

He should be released no later than September and will be in the same wave with the new Nien Nunb and Lumat the Ewok.

[​IMG]

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love those guys. My all time favourite (orginal) Vintage figure.

I plugged some gaps in my TVC with the TIE Fighter Pilot, Revenge variant Leia and Revenge variant Endor Rebel.

5. cooleddie74

Congrats...those are some very, very nice figures. I'm guessing by REVENGE variant Rebel you mean the black/African-American version? I have both color variants...the white Rebel Commando was much easier to find over here, at least in my area.

Here's what's likely to be a pretty popular figure with a lot of people whether they're gamers or not: the Old Republic Trooper, the third Vintage Collection action figure derived from THE OLD REPUBLIC video game. He follows Darth Malgus and Shae Vizla from earlier waves.

[​IMG]

6. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    A new Dunny

7. cooleddie74

Nice, man...I hope you don't mind me saying so, but those are pretty creepy toys. :D Very cool. But a little creepy.

But I suppose that's the point.

8. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Republic Trooper and Royal Guard look really nice...they look so good i expect to never find them in store.

9. cooleddie74

Oh, the Republic Trooper will probably vanish within minutes of being put on store pegs. Almost every EU/video game action figure in recent years sells like hotcakes and skyrockets in price on the secondary market...Darth Revan...Darth Malak...Jaina and Jacen Solo...Bastila Shan...Darth Malgus. The chances of finding this trooper in stores are slim to nil unless you just happen to be there right as or right after they're stocking the peg wall with new figures.

The new Starkiller(Galen Marek) and Shae Vizla figures from the Vintage Collection have been spotted a few times, but they don't last long. These kind of figures have "comic and collectible shop" and "eBay" written all over them. ;)

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yep, i remember searching in vain for all those figures and not finding them anywhere except for toy shops.

11. cooleddie74

I'm still waiting on the new 2012 Naboo Starfighter to surface, but the reports are that a whole lot of major retail stores across this country have purged the SKU for this line of smaller ships and vehicles from their computer systems and aren't going to carry the newer ones. The Starfighter and the two other releases in its wave(the repainted Republic Fighter Tank and a repacked Anakin Skywalker Jedi Starfighter) probably got screwed in the process and won't show up in most places.

The Starfighter was spotted at FAO Schwarz or some other huge toy retailer in New York, but was going for about fifty dollars a pop. I've also seen one or two on eBay, but the one on there now is going for the Buy-It-Now price of $89.99 before shipping and handling. Nope. No way.

Seems like the avalanche of Episode I 3-D product in January and February poisoned the well for newer stuff depending on what you're looking for and what you collect. Stores are more concerned with marking down and liquidating their existing product than they are ordering new stuff that they probably worry will linger on shelves as well. That leaves collectors like us with fewer options, but...oh well. Nothing much we can really do.

12. cooleddie74

Some good-natured fun at Jar Jar's expense, courtesy of my fine friends over at Jedi Temple Archives. These are six of the seven brand new figures included with the SDCC Carbonite Chamber set, and it appears that the Dark Lord of the Sith has finally vanquished the one enemy even more dangerous than his vaunted Empire!

:)

[​IMG]

Don't tell me you wouldn't react the same way. The emotionless expression on Princess Leia's face says it all...

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Is anyone getting the Jumbo Hellicarrier from HasbroToyShop? It's $125 before shipping.
    I can't really justify that + not sure where I'd put it.

14. cooleddie74

Seen and heards lots about it, but nope. I don't collect Avengers stuff anyways. Looks really cool, though.

15. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I neither have the room or the money for it. It doesn't matter either way since it's sold out.

The latest figures from the DC Club Infinite Earths arrived today. The monthly figure: Starman, and the first quarterly oversize figure: Rocket Red
    [​IMG]

Starman is pretty cool. He's cast in translucent black plastic, and has a starfield effect going through him. Rocket Red is a mess, though. He's way too tall, is in a costume that nobody cares about, and is a reused body, so he has vasculature. Seeing, as this is an armored suit, that's ridiculous. So, while Starman turned out alright, Rocket Red is the real dud of the club so far.

16. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

For that price you'd think that it would be accurate to the film...its not. It does not even have a complete underside.

It looks kind of lame to me.

17. cooleddie74

I've heard quite a few people say that the new Hasbro Avengers toys are lacking and disappointing to one degree or another. Someone recently was talking about being let down by some of the 3.75" action figures...was it an Iron Man? Something about articulation/joints being inferior or the paint job not being accurate to the film or something. I can't really remember all too well, but the person wasn't terribly thrilled by the Hasbro Avengers line is the overall point.

18. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was me. The sculpt and the paint are the same as ever, actually I think the paint has been fantastic on this line. The problem is with the articulation. It's all a complete step back from the previous movie lines. No wrist cuts, waist cuts, or ankle tilts. The necks are simple cut joints. The Amazing Spider-Man line is even worse. T-hips, and shoulders. Figures coming out with the basic 5 points of articulation. In this day and age, that's unacceptable. It's not just Hasbro. Mattel dropped the ball with their Green Lantern and Dark Knight Rises figures. The Movie Masters turned out well, but the regular lines are just embarrassments.

19. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

You're missing this one, Eddie?

[​IMG]

20. cooleddie74

:lol:

Why, yes...I believe I am.

The Battle Tabby was a limited edition piece. Hard to find. And the upkeep is hell from what I hear.